How will future generations regard today's MIC, MII, MIK guitars?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Ian T, Apr 16, 2019.

1. Ian T

Ian T Tele-Holic

I just looked at a couple of vintage 79 strats at GC, 1799 and 1999. I recall seeing these guitars not all that long ago selling for around $500, with an awful reputation. Things have changed.

MIJ lawsuit era stuff is also now desirable. I remember when Squiers first came out. To this day, I can't shake the reflex response toward Squiers as being cheap and undesirable. Who knew that the early Squiers would be in demand a couple of decades later?

I stop by GC from time to time and play through a bunch of import instruments. Admittedly, I still carry this deeply imprinted snobbish disregard for imports, Squiers and Epiphones. Truth is, most of them play great and have no obvious manufacturing flaws. I even played a $119 Melody Maker that was damn impressive. Really I'd have no problem gigging with that guitar, with just a minor setup.

Truth is that the current guitars being made at all price points are awesome. The low end guitars are better than ever. The value is incredible at the low to mid tiers.

Pretty much the only flaws I find on the new imports are cheap hardware and electronics. They could all use a setup, a little nut filing, and perhaps a crown and polish. That's about it. The bones on these guitars seem SOLID.

How are the future generations of TDPRI members going to regard this era of guitars? Will things just continue to improve? Will trade wars and increased tariffs result in this being a golden era? Will MIK or MII or MIC become the desirable ones?

Please let me know so that I can go stock up on today's version of the 1983 Squier!

2. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

no one will care, at all, a guitar will be a guitar
    hardly anyone will still play guitar

That's my guess

Greg2222, Flakey, KyAnne and 5 others like this.
  3. teletimetx

teletimetx Doctor of Teleocity

Pretty hard to predict, in any event. I guess you have to ask - how do you feel about a banjo orchestra?

1502BanjoOrchestra (1).jpg

where did all the banjos go? long time passing...

Shuster, OldDude2, dan1952 and 3 others like this.
  4. toomuchfun

toomuchfun Tele-Holic

I think you answered your question in the first paragraph. And how many imports remain stock? Buy American if you want your money back.

5. regularslinky

regularslinky Tele-Holic

The vintage market is about nostalgia. I don’t think our kids will be nostalgic about guitars, let alone Chinese guitars made in the 2000s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Flakey, boredguy6060, dan1952 and 2 others like this.
  6. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Friend of Leo's

Oh, they'll still play and ask how they can become a guitar virtuoso like Ed Sheeran.

I don't see interest in guitar declining, although the number of curmudgeons playing will decline/die off. Guitar companies will seek new markets, like the acoustic folkie and women market, and profit from them while us curmudgeons grouse about the "good ole guitar hero days". Younger folks who play should expect some killer estate sales over the next 20-30 years.

Ben-Zion likes this.
  7. warrent

warrent Friend of Leo's

I don't recall anyone saying anything bad about the original Made in japan Squiers or the equivalent Tokai models. All I remember from that time 1982 to 1985 was people remarking on how high the quality was for the money. Especially given the reputation of mid to late 70's Fenders.

SheldonP, Flakey, beagle and 2 others like this.
  8. Downshift

Downshift Tele-Holic

You're probably right, BUT...consider the prices that early 80s Japanese Squires fetch. You never know which batch will develop a good reputation. There's often no rhyme to it, particularly when looking at what's available in the now.

And more anecdotally...when I go looking for guitars, I actually look at guitars that were made when I was first getting into playing. I see the models that were introduced when I had the most passion for guitar (when I was a 17 year high school junior, who could only lust but never buy). Its fun for me to seek out those guitars and buy them now that I can. The same way I guess that Silvertones are now collectible to guitarists from a couple generations before my time.

9. D_W_PGH

D_W_PGH Friend of Leo's

If dearmonds are any indication, I don't think they'll have much of a following. Not unless one becomes iconic somehow. Mik has a much better quality reputation than it did in the 80s or 90s, but price hasn't really followed.

70s les Paul's have done the same thing as strats. In the late 80s, everyone warned to stay away from them
    Now, some of the late 70s Pauls fetch more than a new standard.

10. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

Unless there's a serious amount of Inflation in the US economy, the return price is never going to be close to the usual retail price. The Urban Myth you're talking about with all due respect, was because of that time when you could buy a Mazda RX-7, also and drive it for 3 years and get the purchase price back - basically because of Serious Inflation.

I hate to say it but, people listened to me and left their Classic Vibes almost entirely stock and they are as a group, the only range of guitars I know of selling used for basically the same price as they were introduced at. And it eats at me 'cause I don't buy MIC (going back 20+ years; just my personal thing).

11. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

+1, It's all about nostalgia. When teenagers hit their 50s they look back and want to grab a piece of their childhood desires. Either a guitar they had or the guitar they wish they had but couldn't afford back then. Of course, when the 50yo hits their late 60s they are unloading the toys again.

What I've seen of the 'cheap guitars' is that the later MIKs are better built than the early ones, later MIC are better but so many factories involved with additional new startup facilities (with learning curves) that they had a lot of variation over the run, and nearly all the MII (Indonesia) are high quality, but Fender specs lower quality parts and too-skinny necks. Not to be confused with MII (India).

Like Teisco, somewhere in there will be a resurgence of the First Act nostalgia look-back.

Route67 and JL_LI like this.
  12. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

Buy all the robot tuner abominations for cheap now if you want to make money in the long term. I'm guessing future generations wont be able to tie their own show laces let alone tune a guitar and old electronics/oddball gadgets tend to increase in price and become sought after decades later.

Shuster, KyAnne and bftfender like this.
  13. Lawdawg

Lawdawg Tele-Holic

Price escalation on the used market is all about supply and demand and perceived value. I agree with you about the quality of these guitars but there will probably still be a lot of them available in the foreseeable future which will moderate prices.

Players play, collectors collect, apples and oranges in terms of used markets.

14. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

I wonder how many old Strats are actually selling at those current prices. I see a lot of guitars getting posted over and over for months and months on craigslist. People think they'll get good dollars for their old guitars, but I don't see them actually selling.

15. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I doubt we will see much of a collector response to guitars not associated with much in terms of being the first of their kind, the last of their kind, or attached to a music era.

Maybe some of the sig Squires will have a bit of a following, like the John 5 and the J Mascis.

Chunkocaster likes this.
  16. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Yeah those $2000 '79 Strats are like the color section of the Sunday paper.

Nightclub Dwight and String Tree like this.
  17. Old duck

Old duck Tele-Meister

I don't think you can ever get all your money back, American, or not if you are keeping an instrument for investment purposes. Just like 60s/70s muscle cars. They went up astronomically for years and are now coming down about as fast, (with a few exceptions). All the folks that wanted them in the 60s/70s are getting too old to drive and are dying. The young folks drive Hondas.

Most of the young people I see would rather play "air guitar" (whatever that is?) than actually work at learning to play a real guitar. You're right, there's going to be a bunch of $5000 guitars auctioned off for about $500 one day, in the not too distant future.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2019
    Alter, thegeezer and KyAnne like this.
  18. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Friend of Leo's

Guitars are great home decor. An acoustic shows your sensitive, folkie, down-to-earth side while an electric shows your rebellious, bad girl/boy, side.

Chunkocaster and Old duck like this.
  19. Mad Kiwi

Mad Kiwi Friend of Leo's

I don't think they will care either.

There will be so few players and so many guitars.

Also, because there are so many guitars, they are, or have already, become a plain old commodity item.

Its only us who don't realise it yet....

Old duck and thegeezer like this.
  20. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

The MIC and MIK guitars will be more valued in the future than they are now.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.