How will a 8ohm amp into a 16ohm cab sound?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by 6String69, Feb 28, 2020.

1. 6String69

6String69 Tele-Meister

The are 16ohms. Thanks!

telemnemonics likes this.
  2. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Does this amp allow one channel gets an attenuator anf the other channel doesn't?
    Some amps form I think Top Hat do that but it's internal.

Are you plugging the amp speaker output you set for 8 ohms into an attenuator set for 8 ohms then into the splitter set for parallel then into the two 16 ohm cabs?

Perfect!

If you want dirt into an attenuator and clean without the attenuator I'm not sure that would be safe, though you could put the attenuator on a footswitch wired up with speaker gauge cable so you switch the attenuator out for cleans.
    But this is bad for the OT and can arc and burn windings. There may be switches that do that and I've done it myself just to compare speakers, but it's not recommended.

3. tah1962

tah1962 Tele-Afflicted

If I’m not mistaken, the Super Sonic 100 head has a switch on the back to select 4, 8, or 16 ohms. Is that correct? I also believe that the 4x12 cabinets are wired for a 16 ohm load.

If that’s true, then you you would select the 8 ohm load on the back of the amp. Then run both cabinets through your splitter, which would run the two cabinets in parallel for an 8 ohm load to match the 8 ohm setting on the back of your amp.

What splitter box are you using? That’s the only wildcard at this point.

6String69 likes this.
  4. 6String69

6String69 Tele-Meister

4CA53943-C1ED-4AFD-B043-711251C7A74E.jpeg 6B81C5BF-9F14-4A72-90F7-245045408774.jpeg

5. 6String69

6String69 Tele-Meister

No I just want to control the volume into both cabs with the attenuator. It doesn't have an ohm rating, just that it is rated for 100 watts.

6. telemnemonics

In your pic the amp is set for 16 ohms now so when you use both cabs you need to change the switch setting to the middle 8 ohms.

BobbyZ and 6String69 like this.
  7. 1300 E Valencia

1300 E Valencia Friend of Leo's

Then where does the "attenuator" go? What does the "attenuator" get plugged into?

You need to hook it all up like this:
    Amp > Attenuator > Splitter > Two Cabs.
    The attenuator needs to go *BETWEEN* the amp and speaker(s). If you run the speakers from one amp speaker output and the attenuator from another amp speaker output, the attenuator will have no effect because it's not hooked up between the amp and a speaker. What attenuator is this?
    We need facts.
    Speaker Outputs are not "channels".

8. Askwhy

Askwhy Tele-Meister

This. If you have two 16ohm cabs, use the parallel setting and set your impedence switch to 8ohms. Make sure the switcher is set to parallel. Do not set it to series, this is very important. Should work great, although the supersonic has a good master on the lead channel so you can balance the channels and skip the switcher and attenuator. Just run one 16ohm cab out of each speaker out and set it to 8ohms. Enjoy!

6String69 likes this.
  9. 6String69

6String69 Tele-Meister

That's what I am planning to do. It is a pan attenuator that will automatically handle 4, 8 or 16 ohms. It is rated for 100 watts

10. Askwhy

Askwhy Tele-Meister

Actually, there is a gain(s) and volume on each channel on the 100. Attenuators can be great but you have a much simpler option with just the amp controls, speaker outs and ohm selector.

6String69 likes this.
  11. telemnemonics

True, but the same could be said for the simple act of leaving the Tele control plate where it was installed at the factory just as it was used for decades.

But today players like to take the plate off, change up the switch and pot positions, then turn it around backwards before screwing it to the body again.

Likewise attenuators are hot theses days!

12. 6String69

6String69 Tele-Meister

It is just so I can get a nice crunchy tone from the burn channel without too much volume. Is there a better way? I am a long time bassist who started guitar about 14 months ago.

13. Askwhy

Askwhy Tele-Meister

Turn the volume knob on the far right fairly low and then experiment with the two gain controls on the burn channel. Lots of great crunch tone in there. There are sample settings online that came with the amps, i will post a link if i can find one. That channel volume is the key. I had the 22 and thought the burn channel was awesome.

Found this from the manual, i remember more on the paper cutout that came with the amp-

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/622315/Fender-Super-Sonic-Twin.html?page=8#manual

6String69 likes this.
  14. 6String69

6String69 Tele-Meister

awesome thanks. yeah mine was used and didn’t come with any of that.

15. joe_cpwe

joe_cpwe Tele-Holic

what's the worse that can happen?

image.jpg

16. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

A little quieter.

17. Askwhy

Askwhy Tele-Meister

That amp was made for crunch at low volume and/or being able to match the clean and burn channel volumes. I'm missing my SS22 now, lol. Great amps if you get one that doesn't have any issues (minor) or had issues and has been serviced. Play around with it before you try the splitter and attenuator, i bet you find what you are looking for and can keep things much simpler. Those two gain controls are very interactive so try them both in all positions relative to each other.

6String69 likes this.
  18. 6String69

6String69 Tele-Meister

I love mine! I got a good deal on it too! I don't know much about amps but this one seems to cover all the bases. It doesn't seem to have issues.

Askwhy likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.