1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

How well to match capacitor VDC to signal path VDC?

Discussion in 'Amp Tech Center' started by Che_Guitarra, Mar 10, 2018.

1. Che_Guitarra

Che_Guitarra Tele-Holic

I'm building a Marshall 2204 style amp. I've also got a bunch of Wima caps at my disposal - all with a 630VDC rating.

Just wondering if there will be any adverse effects using a bunch of 630VDC rated capacitors in locations where only a few volts are passing?

Should I try and match the cap's max VDC to the signal path a little better?

2. alnicopu

alnicopu Friend of Leo's

Interesting question. Ive never heard or read of any adverse affects, other than taking up more space, since larger vdc ratings usually mean larger physical size. The uf rating is the same.

3. printer2

printer2 Poster Extraordinaire

No issues. Way back when there was a thread on using high voltage caps in places where you have lower voltages and I tested the same circuit with low voltage and high voltage caps, no difference. The higher voltage rating just gives you more or a better insulator (gee, these 600V caps are much bigger than the 6.3V caps) between the plates. The higher voltage rated caps may have a little more inductance than a smaller cap but at our frequencies (not radio frequencies) not an issue.

4. dsutton24

dsutton24 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I don't know what the impact would be on sound.

In general, electrolytics need to be worked near their voltage rating for maximum lifespan. I don't know if it holds true for modern caps, but we old geezers were taught that electrolytics should be used at 80% to 110% of their rated voltage.

Dry capacitors, film, mica, poly(whatever) caps can be used at any voltage up to their rated voltage.

5. Che_Guitarra

Che_Guitarra Tele-Holic

Thanks for the replies guys.

Looks like I can clear out the parts armoury a little... one Wima cap at a time.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.