How well do you type?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Nubs, Sep 27, 2019.

1. jim777

jim777 Tele-Meister

I they poexatly this well, and no better.

2. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

In sixth grade (circa 1969) we did an 'exchange' for one semester. All the girls took wood or metal shop, whether they wanted to, or not. And the boys got home ec, or typing. I could already cook - my dad had been a chef, so I chose typing. I think I got up to 40 wpm, which is amazing considering I could it both on the IBM Selectric, which we had only a few of, or the old Crown or whatever they were called. Manual, all the way... And no backspace without whiteout. And no peeking, either. (For reference, my mom had been a secretary for a while before getting married, and the standard speed requirement was 65 wpm, on those manual machines, with zero errors. Yikes.)

But then I never used it again, until.... by 1990 I was a programmer, a job I did for the next 17 years until I retired. A few years in, maybe around 1994, I was working with a guy who was amazingly fast on the keyboard, and could do it with great accuracy, while hardly paying attention. Like having a full conversation with me.

I didn't like that. He said, well, "do something about it". So, for the next two weeks at that job, I got exactly zero work done. From that moment on, I refused to look at my hands. So, at the beginning it was all liijl87lw3aspo s gt 5oio t. Like that. But by the end of two weeks, I think some of that 11-year-old's muscle memory was returning. I've been a pretty speedy typist ever since. Really, a must for someone in my field.

I just took an online test, and it looks like I'm good for about 55 wpm, after adjusting for a few errors.

How the heck can all you finger-peckers 'say' so much on TDPRI? I'd think it pretty exhausting...

Last edited: Sep 28, 2019
    jim777 likes this.
  3. DonM

DonM Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I think I was 45 wpm in my prime.

4. Lonn

Lonn Friend of Leo's

Speed is good, accuracy is crap. The last few years I've been inverting N and G without fail in any word ending in those letters. My proofreading skills are way up though! My oldest daughter does 120 wpm almost flawlessly. Freak. :p

5. Mike SS

Mike SS Poster Extraordinaire

Considering my training was one semester long, during my Freshman year of High School (69 -70) I can function on a keyboard. Have to peek when I need to use the top row, numbers and symbols, but other than that I fly along pretty well.

6. coloradojeff

coloradojeff Tele-Holic

Took typing (on a manual typewriter) in 8th grade in 1966. Probably the most valuable class I took in my entire scholastic career.

7. Matt G

Matt G Tele-Afflicted

Behold, the last of the Olde Skool! I formally tested out at just shy of 100 wpm on a standard with a manual carriage return (many, many years after Selectrics came in).

On the rare occasions when I need to copy from printed text to screen, I'm still so fast that people stop to watch.

These days, though, mistakes aren't such a big deal.

p.s. anyone thinking I was at secretarial school would be wrong. . . . ;-)

8. wulfenganck

wulfenganck Tele-Holic

I regret never having done a typing-course - I'm a freelancer and have to type A LOT.
    It's too late now, when I started as a lawyer it was common practise to use a dictaphone and have poor sectretaries typing your juridical blabber. When I left my last employer and went freelancing, I had to do it myself.....up to now I established a sort of slow-but-continious 4-finger-with-occasional-3-supporting-finger-system.
    I'm of course better with my mother language german, whereas around here, it's reduced to a 2-finger-with-occasional-2-supporting-finger-system.
    Of course, when I write "system" I'm in fact meaning trial and error.
    So, yes, my backspace button is kind of worn down.....

9. Anacharsis

Anacharsis Tele-Meister

I'm a rather fast typist, and I rarely have to look down. My admin staff member often comments on the speed of my typing. I can get on bad runs full of typos now and then, because I'm not really schooled at it, and I may go a few days without typing anything longer than a brief email. But once I am going, I can really fly along with relatively few errors. I am glad I had to take typing in 8th grade in 1985/86.

10. idjster

idjster VERY grateful member Ad Free Member

I'm not bad. I started with computers in 1981 or so and it was always work related (no games) so I became a fair touch typist. I've typed all this and have only looked at the keys once to reposition my hands after an interruption. I have to admit that when I'm doing html I have to be a little more conscious of the keyboard as there are too many unusual characters used that make you look around for them. Basic day to day text is simple. :)

11. notmyusualuserid

notmyusualuserid Friend of Leo's

im a fsntatc trbest

12. Brad Pittiful

Brad Pittiful Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

terrible...im a two finger typer...but not fast but adequate speed i guess...i find myself doing weird things...example...adding an S when not needed...with that...its like i just do it without thinking...im by far a worse typer than i was 10 years ago

only good thing to come out of my bad typing is...i read everything i type to check for errors...there were at least 5 errors found after i typed this

13. Armo

Armo Tele-Holic

I hit all the right keys but not necessarily in the right order.

(British gag)

14. Beachbum

Beachbum Friend of Leo's

I learned to type when I was a young "Radioman" in the Navy back in the 60's when they still used Morse Code. Once they were done training me I could listen to the high speed dots and dashes, translate them in my head and type that at the same time. I only wish that I could play guitar as well as I type.

Matt G likes this.
  15. TG

TG Doctor of Teleocity

bADly

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.