1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

How was your Squier Classic Vibe 50's Tele straight out of the box?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by VintageToneGuy, Sep 10, 2012.

1. VintageToneGuy

VintageToneGuy Tele-Meister

Mine is due to arrive tomorrow and was just curious how it is straight out of the box?;)

2. scrumley

scrumley Tele-Meister

Mine was great, other than a somewhat dodgy switch that gave up the ghost a week later. It even arrived in tune.

3. yardleyboy

yardleyboy Tele-Meister

Mine was fine to

4. Twang Tone

Twang Tone Friend of Leo's

My first one weighed a tonne (like 9lbs +) and I could never get the action how I liked it. I sold it.

My second one weighed just 6.8lbs, was super resonant and the action was spot on: i.e. low but no choking.

All the second one needed was a minor tweak to intonate the bridge saddles.

If yours is a BSB (Butterscotch Blonde), then you'll get Alnico V magnet pickups. If it's a VB (Vintage (or White) Blonde), then you'll get Alnico III magnet pickups.

Both mine were VBs w/A3 magnets. These stock pickups sounded superb.

Thanks,

5. DannyBigShots

DannyBigShots TDPRI Member

Mine was great out of the box, just needed a tune up. I was to excited to change the strings out at first so I did it the next day, but thats all it really needed. I got the VB with the A3 pickups and I liked them so much that I sold my CVC w/ A5's.

6. AngelStrummer

AngelStrummer Friend of Leo's

Absolutely fine, except for the fact that it came with 09s and I like 10s on a Telecaster.

7. doof

doof Tele-Holic

my BSB which i bought sight unseen online and arrived via courier was set up perfectly in my opinion. The action was just right, and the intonation was spot on, better than i've ever been able to get it on any other guitar i've ever owned. My first day I played it quite a bit and was doing a bunch of bends on the g-string, and it kept tune incredibly well, only needing a slight adjustment after about half an hour of playing. I changed the strings to .10's after a few days, and didn't need to change the setup at all. I can't say enough about how perfect it was for me out of the box.

The VB I bought last week was the demo model at a guitar shop here in town, and while it wasn't quite as perfect as the BSB, it was almost as good. Understandably being handled that much in the store it wouldn't be quite the way it was out of the box, but after getting it home and changing strings, it just impressed me as much as the BSB.

What i really love about these guitars is the resonance. i often play it unplugged and just let notes ring. I don't mind the thinner necks. The frets are perfect, no buzzing anywhere, and so far the electronics have not shown any problems. I don't even touch my MIA since i've gotten these.

8. JohnK24

JohnK24 Friend of Leo's

The action was very high on mine (got one a month after the line was introduced), took a few days of truss rod and saddle tweaks to get it down and then it took .010s pretty nicely.

9. DirtyDanTele

DirtyDanTele Tele-Meister

Never played the tele but my 50's strat was great. Flamed maple neck and light!!!

10. afoolsparadise

afoolsparadise Tele-Meister

My white CV50 was remarkably good just as it arrived. About 7 lbs., nice action, and the pickups sound great.

I've since fine tuned the action and added an Electrosocket but that was purely by choice.

11. JCW1024

JCW1024 Tele-Meister

The first one I received (from Guitar Center) had a broken nut and had to be returned. The replacement that arrived required a slight tightening of the truss rod; I've had it for a little over a year and that's all it has needed in that time.

12. Zenzeypher

Zenzeypher Tele-Afflicted

crap on both counts.

first one it buzzed with high action and played like a dog.

the second was super super light to the point it was like a toy and the chrome was peeling like paper off the control plate and a wire came loose on the inside.

by that point I was like - screw this.

13. BoogerRooger

BoogerRooger Poster Extraordinaire

Not bad when it came, but the chrome pretty much disintegrated after 3 years, so it needed replacing. Not expensive and a big improvement. The switch and pots are Alpha so they're OK, but the jack socket was a bit flimsy and needed replacing. I never felt happy with the action, there was always some buzzing down the bottom end that I couldn't get rid of. I suspected the nut was cut too low so that got replaced while I was at it - problem solved, plays just great now. I was surprised by the difference this one alteration made.

So, a mixed bag. The pups and electrics are fine and the wood, grain and finish are excellent - the quarter sawn neck is a thing of beauty, but the plating and the nut weren't good. It all got fixed quite cheaply, so I still got a fine guitar at a bargain price.

14. Mark Davis

Mark Davis Telefied Ad Free Member

Mine was setup perfect I still havent touched a screw since 7-3-2008.

I did have to tighten the nut on the jack cup when I got it but other than that which took 5 seconds to fix thats it.

On my CVC the jack cup was tight and I havent dont anything to it at all.

Both my CV's came out of the box setup better than any of rhe 27 Fenders I have bought

Last edited: Sep 10, 2012
  15. Uncle Joe

Uncle Joe Friend of Leo's

Practically Perfect in Every Way!

I've been playing it for a couple of weeks exactly the way it was setup out of the box.

Hey Mr. Davis... You mentioned on another thread that this guitar may take 9.5s well. Who makes 9.5s?

Thanks!

16. surfoverb

surfoverb Doctor of Teleocity

mine was perfect.

Of all the guitars Ive bought in the last 10 years my CVC was the only one without any problems. My 52RI came with a broken solder joint on the output jack, and poorly dressed frets, my USA Gibson had a pot that wouldnt stop turning, and a poorly cut plek'd nut, and my CIJ the nut needed work.

17. mg426

mg426 Tele-Holic

AOK

18. tlimbert65

tlimbert65 Tele-Afflicted

Mine came off the wall of a local guitar shop, and it was absolutely perfect right off. I can't say if it had been set up by the shop, but none of their other guitars seemed to be well set up. I haven't changed anything since I got it. I tried switching from 9s to 10s, but it changed the sound for the worse, and I went back to 9s. Still, every time I pick it up, I'm amazed by how great it sounds and feels.

19. Jazzerstang

Jazzerstang Tele-Afflicted

spectacular, but be prepared to change the strings.

20. beatup78

beatup78 TDPRI Member

CVB, tone pot gave up the ghost in 2 weeks, and bridge PU died a week later. Exchanged in the shop for another and all it needed was a slight intonation tweak and truss rod adj.
    BSB, bought online sight unseen. Arrived in tune perfectly intonated, and action was perfection. All I did was change the strings. They are both wonderful guitars.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.