1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

How was your new years eve gig?

Discussion in 'Band Wagon' started by jguitarman, Jan 1, 2013.

1. jguitarman

jguitarman Tele-Afflicted

We had a packed bar which is always a fun place to play. Didn't make much money for a n.y.e. gig but I'd rather be playing out with my band than sitting home.
    Had a drunken blond woman fall into the band. She took down two mic stands and landed partially on my pedalboard and managed to turn my Peterson Strobostomp off in the process. We just kept playing and got congrats for playing right through the scenario. Fortunately she wasn't hurt, just a little humbled. She never apoligized to the band or asked if anything was broke. Oh well, it was a fun night with lots of compliments.:lol:

2. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Our little Gig went very well.
    Played the same I club we played last year.
    It is the first time I can recall playing the same place two NYE's in a row, but we did get $100 more than we did last year. That was nice.

The Owner made some Coin, which means we had a good crowd!
    The Wait Staff made some good Tips.
    No fights, no broken equipment, no arrests, no damage to the facilities.

We were all pretty happy with the way things turned out.

3. tjalla

tjalla Friend of Leo's

Packed venue and dancefloor (at $40 tickets mind you) 9pc funk band, 70s themed party. Band sounded tight and we were very well remunerated. Best NYE gig I've done.

4. StarliteDeVille

StarliteDeVille Tele-Meister

@String Tree, Glad it worked out!

5. BigWillyInd

BigWillyInd Tele-Afflicted

Good night out in the sticks with the BWI. Those folks just love us out there, buyin us drinks, dancin all night. A couple of fallers, one on the first song! Again, not allot of money, but I think two things about that. 1)Welcome to the new world people 2)Better to have fun and play for folks who like you than some of the other NYE gigs I've played with other bands. I meant, other than my own.

6. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

StarliteDeVille Thanks for the support. :)

BigWillyInd If it isn't for a lot of money, then it should be a LOT of FUN! Sounds like you did just that.

7. Ascension

Ascension Tele-Afflicted

Ok I guess here is clip.

8. Skub

Skub Poster Extraordinaire

Ours was quite a happy and relaxed affair,rather than the usual manic NYE stuff. The crowd was mostly older folk,so we tailored the material to suit. The banter was good and everyone had a good time. We managed to blag a plate of leftover lamb stew each from the catering girls.

No hint of trouble and always an excellent payday for the band,a great way to end/start the year.

9. Matthew Corey

Matthew Corey TDPRI Member

NYE gig was PHENOMENAL!

Played at a party in a hotel ballroom, thrown by the pastor of the church I attend.

We did 5 songs, and they went really well. Most rewarding part was there were all these little kids everywhere dancing, clapping their hands, singing along with me. I mean, they were REALLY into it. All smiles and I could see some of their eyes all aglow transfixed on us... Did our version of Bob Marley's "Thank you Lord" and that one they clearly enjoyed the best. Also did a new original that went very well.

My only pay for the night was a good feeling in my soul, spiritual jewels and a standing ovation. But it was hands down the best New Years Eve celebration I EVER attended, and the first time I performed to bring in the New Year (I only started performing seriously and regularly this past Spring '12).

Now, I am going to keep the momentum going. My goal is to do 250 performances this year. Got to get out there, real talk.

10. BigWillyInd

BigWillyInd Tele-Afflicted

Go for it Mr. Corey!! Go for it and don't stop.

11. TeleTim911

TeleTim911 Friend of Leo's

I belong to a local lodge, and I played DJ while the band took breaks. We did drawings, contests, other stuff....we all had a blast. Band even had me sit in and play and sing one with them.

It went well, not as packed as I would've liked, but a great crowd all the same.

12. Mid Life Crisis

Mid Life Crisis Poster Extraordinaire

Had a great night. In fact, had a great day as I bought a new Custom Shop Strat and decided to gig with it. Gig itself went well, got people up dancing, even to some of our slower songs. Got our money at the end too.

The best part though was that our drummer, who had come in as a dep, agreed to join us permanently. He's a great drummer (ex pro) and we all get on with him. Having said that we did have a "seat of our pants" moment when he started up I Want You To Want Me with completely the wrong rhythm (he wasn't that familiar with the song) so we just had to go with it rather than restart or change part way through. Didn't seem to bother the audience too much though.

All in all, one of the best NYEs I can remember!

13. Jakedog

Jakedog Telefied Ad Free Member

Meh. It was a gig. Got paid more than I thought I was going to, so that was a good thing. Crowd was small. Place opted to charge a $25 cover instewad of selling $25 tix ahead of time. I think if they'd sold tix ahead of time they would have done well. It's how things are done around here. Doing it like they did, it was kinda mellow. Only about half full in a rather small place. But hey, the music was good, it paid well, and we got fed like kings. I'll probably forget most of what happened at the gig in a day or two, but I will never forget the crab cakes.:D

14. klasaine

klasaine Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

:D:cool: Spoken like a true professional Jakedog!

This is/was one of the first new years eves I actually do remember a couple of days later.

Listened to Ludwig Van's 9th.
    Ate Cotechino, lentils and a nice Chianti with my wife.
    Watched Inglorious Basterds.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.