1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

How ubiquitous is Strymon?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Richie Cunningham, Feb 14, 2021.

Do you have any Strymon pedals?

1. No.

2. I have one.

3. Two.

4. Three.

5. Four.

6. Five.

7. More than five.

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Grateful Ape

Grateful Ape Tele-Afflicted

I have one I bought used from a friend for a stupidly low price. It sounds lovely, but I would never be able to justify full price for one.

2. FenderLover

FenderLover Poster Extraordinaire

I've read most of this thread and still don't really see anyone using the expression input. Big mistake if you have these pedals. Set the Saturation with an expression pedal on the Deco! Use it with the Lex! They are great!

Lots of complaints about price. Do you see how much ONE of these pedals does? I think they are a bargain.

Got 'em all: Deco, Flint, El Cap, Lex

3. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

The data, as of now:

1. Boss: Over 1,050 pedals sold, with a negative response of 33
    2. TC Electronic: Over 276 pedals sold, with a negative of 24
    3. Strymon: 129 pedals sold, with a negative of 154
    4. Line 6: 23 pedals sold, negative of 21
    5. Walrus Audio: 15 pedals sold, negative of 11
    6. Source Audio: 5, N=5
    7. Chase Bliss: 2, N=18
    8. Eventide: 1, N=11

That’s pretty good for Strymon, and the OP: Top 3 overall from ‘the polls of TD’. Even though Boss covers the 60 to 299 dollar range very well, a fraction of those Boss pedals are also over 300 dollars. The prices and inflation adjustments still don’t change the fact a DS-1 was a sub-100 dollar pedal. Yet over 82 people have 6 or more pedals, which could cost easily 900 dollars if purchased new. That’s two or three new Strymon pedals right there. Boss is ubiquity boss, but yeah, the poll didn’t break up Boss purchases by price. My gut tells me Boss is still more common than Strymon at the price range OP mentioned.

Divide the negative responses by total responses, and we have a quick and dirty ‘disliked’ brand index (kinda, not really). Boss is low at 3% . TCE is 8%. Strymon is 46 percent ‘disliked’ lol. The others have low samples sizes yet show the same or more ‘dislike’ factors, but who cares, nobody heard of them :)

So I’m surprised about Strymon ubiquity, but not surprised by Strymon hate. Pedal hate in general, given the demographic participating in the polls..

Richie Cunningham likes this.
  4. Richie Cunningham

Richie Cunningham Tele-Afflicted

Edit: Hey, I literally didn’t see you up there. Thanks for doing that. I was just going to look at percentages and go to bed.

Here’s where we are on the market penetration polls. I wish they were more scientific, but you do what you can.

Strymon, Walrus, and Line 6 all did pretty well for companies that mainly offer expensive pedals, especially Line 6 with their pricey HX and Helix ranges.

Boss was the most common brand, with nine out of ten respondents indicating that they own at least one Boss pedal.

Boss 90.2%
    TC Electronic 83.3%
    Line 6 43.6%
    Walrus 38.9%
    Strymon 34.9%
    Chase Bliss 10.0%
    Eventide 8.3%

5. gmann

gmann Friend of Leo's

Great pedal!

brookdalebill likes this.
  6. ping-ping-clicka

ping-ping-clicka Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

oh hey, I'm feelin' you, about Cadillac Tastes and a Yugo budget, that being said,
    the clarity of my Frankenstein Mini Strat and tones had never been experienced with such clarity having switched to a Strymon signal chain.
    "So Stunned Was I," I even want to play without a dirt box, If you can believe that,
    and that's the gospel truth

GGardner likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.