1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

How ubiquitous is Strymon?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Richie Cunningham, Feb 14, 2021.

Do you have any Strymon pedals?

1. No.

2. I have one.

3. Two.

4. Three.

5. Four.

6. Five.

7. More than five.

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. GearGeek01

GearGeek01 Tele-Meister

I have the Strymon Zuma power supply under my pedalboard, I think the main reason I bought it at the time was because each output has 500mA of power available, Until Voodoo Lab came out with their new "3" series, all they had was 100mA per outlet. Now they are mimicking Strymon in 2 ways 1) their newest units have 500mA of power each outlet... 2) They are now copy-catting the Strymon expansion idea.

If you ever need to research what your stomp boxes consume for power, check out stinkfoot's page here http://stinkfoot.se/power-list ) -- He has most major brands but not every single last pedal ever made.

As far as their stomp boxes, the Mobius (in particular) has simply amazing sounds inside. As does the BigSky reverb. I don't cringe at the prices because IMHO you get what you pay for...

But I was down the the wire and had almost bought a Mobius until I realized it would be (for me) months of butt time sitting reading a manual before I could even be close to understanding what all that stuff does. And I absolutely LOATHE reading of any type.

-----------------------

I discovered (instead) the Source Audio One Series of pedals.

I am an old school pedal guy, I've been playing guitar and using stomp boxes for 45 years. Typically what I am calling an "old school" pedal is a box with one switch, between 2-5 knobs, you click it on, and it works the first time as advertised. No need for a manual because all the knobs on the front are completely intuitive.

That's how Source Audio has designed their One Series pedals... for old guys like me who weren't born with a cell phone attached to my head... and didn't get every Apple product as a birthday gift at age 2...

https://www.sourceaudio.net/products-one-series.html

You don't have to spend the next ten months reading a manual to start getting awesome sounds out of one of these right now. AND... if you do want to go deep, then SA has the Neuro Desktop Editor that is VERY EASY to understand, plus with the editor, all of their One Series pedals can be equipped with between 20-50 new algorithms. (depending on the pedal). For example the Source Audio L.A. Lady Overdrive has 50 algorithms available with the ei=ditor... distortion, fuzz, overdrive, preamps, etc, etc...

I don't know where and when stomp boxes got so overly technological, but that kind of stuff might work for the young whipper snappers born in the computer generation, but its a total turn off for me if I can't just plug it in and make it work seconds after plugging it in.

I also think there is a faction of the high-price-stuff market that just goes out and buys the most expensive stuff so they can post pictures on forums and brag about spending so much money. Not just with stomp boxes, but with guitars, basses, and amps as well.

My opinion on that is that most likely a great number of these folks just love gear, don't actually play anywhere but their bedroom or living room, and for many would get more out of the guitar or bass by spending the extra money on some decent lessons. You don't get talent from buying over-priced expensive gear. Talent only comes by wood shedding, practicing, and making your fingers bleed. You cannot buy ability.

But as long as their are people with more money than brains or common sense, there will be a market for over-priced things. And not just guitars... I roomed with a guy one time who had put $5,000 into his bicycle... hahahaha In his mind he was riding in the Tour de France every time he went out the door... complete down to the helmet, Oakley sunglasses, and super expensive spandex clothes... It made him happy...

Buying guitars makes me happy... I have 23 and waiting for the Big Brown Truck right now for #24... LOL

Buying stuff makes the world go round...

Last edited: Feb 16, 2021
    Kansas likes this.
  2. pi

pi Tele-Meister

Too spendy for me.

3. wulfenganck

wulfenganck Tele-Afflicted

Well, at the end, it's a question of taste - you like the sound of a guitar/amp/effect or you don't.
    That's fine.
    But please, don't go for that "it sounds too sterile" or "it lacks the warmth of an analog pedal" or the "it's too hi-fi".
    At least as long as we're talking about an El Capistan or the Brigadeer.
    The only way to spot the difference between the El Capistan or a real tape-delay will be in a studio-setup and with a veteran tone-engineer as a judge.
    If you'll put a bunch of guitarists in front of a stage, put a curtain down and have a whole band perform with a guitarplayer using
    a) an El Capistan
    b) a real tape-delay
    over the same amp, no-one will spot the difference or claim the tape-delay to be "warm and rich analog sounding", whereas the El Capistan sounds "hi-fi" or "sterile".
    Same with a Brigadeer and an old bucket-delay.

Now to the: "I want the natural amp-sound, not the sound of an recording".
    I don't even know, what's that supposed to mean.
    A studio-recording contains limiters, compressors, different mikes with different positioning in front of the speakers, noise-gates and the elaborated use of studio-equalisation.
    You find all of that in one stompbox? I highly doubt that.
    By the way: there is no "natural sound", except you're playing fully acoustic with no amplification at all.
    I know a lot of players claiming to have a "natural vintage sound". Their reference are usually 50s or 60s recordings.
    Well, those guys were playing an electric guitar over an amp and recording it with a tape machine and a mixing desk; either using slapback with tricks from the tape machine and having effects like tape saturation and than other tape-manipulations resulting in flanging and chorus effects (which is part of what the Strymon Deco does).
    That's not a "natural" sound at all.
    The only "natural delay or reverb you get, is putting a mike in front of your guitar while standing in - for example - a big gothic cathedral or a canyon. Than you'll have natural reverb and echos.

Sorry if this comes across as a sort of rant, it's not meant to be, but some comments simply irritate me.

Rocky058, matrix, BorderRadio and 2 others like this.
  4. bigjohnbates

bigjohnbates Tele-Meister

I had a Deco and a Bluesky but the Deco was too 80s sounding and I replaced the Bluesky with an earthquaker levitation. Strymon are good but to each their own

5. decibel

decibel Tele-Meister

Agree. It's my favorite pedal of all time. You can do distortion, slapback delay, echo, flange, and chorus all in one. Does it excel at any? Not really. But it's an awesome swiss army knife for live performance.

Mine does seem a little dark, too. I'll have to double check the secondary functions.

RomanS likes this.
  6. Don Rich Rules

Don Rich Rules Tele-Meister

I have a Strymon Lex Leslie 122 simulator and a Big sky reverb pedal
    The Lex when set to IMO the correct way sounds exactly like a 122 cabinet.
    I worked with a guy for 20 years who had a B3 and 4 Leslie 122 cabinets, he is a monster B3 player. The Lex IMO nails that tone.
    And the Blue Sky is just an amazing reverb and so much more.

FenderLover likes this.
  7. ndcaster

ndcaster Poster Extraordinaire

(groan)

I need a couple mics, but this thread is making me want to commit to getting a Deco...

(shakes fist at the GAS gods)

telejnky likes this.
  8. patrickhowell

patrickhowell Tele-Meister

I used to have 3: El Capistan, Flint, and Deco.

I sold all three and replaced them with a Boss MS-3 and Strymon Volante because I wanted MIDI control instead of tapdancing to change sounds.

(I've changed a few other things since then too)

IMG_1683.JPG IMG_5172.JPG

matrix and BorderRadio like this.
  9. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Doctor of Teleocity

Seven, its seven ubiquitous....

10. bendeane

bendeane Tele-Meister

None...I was in the market to up my modulation game and kept trying to find a used Mobius. I picked up a Boss MD-500 and it was instant love. I would love to compare, but for my money, I doubt the Mobius can do anything the Boss can't. There are a couple types of modulations that is unique to each, but the Boss has 32bit AD-DA converters and 96kHz sampling. And the A-B simultaneous mode is very fun.

11. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I was in that same boat a year ago. I found a used Mobius but even before that I decided against the MD500 because of things the Boss didn’t have. Harmonic trem was a big one, as I sold a Quaverato to get the all in one, midi-box. I also like that 6 different flanger types are included. I also liked the destroyer options, though honestly those aren’t a big a deal. The phaser subtypes also seem to run a circle around the MD500 too. Besides the AD/DA, the only other thing that the Boss has going for it is ability to run two mods at once. Still, not going anywhere unless I dip out for the helix thing ...

bendeane likes this.
  12. LeeInAustin

LeeInAustin Tele-Meister

You can cut bass on the saturation on the Deco. Til I did that, it was muddy for me to; now I love it. The bass cut is a secondary control, so you'd need to consult the manual.

13. AndreasG

AndreasG TDPRI Member

Have a Lex and it‘s quite nice. But I only bought it because I got it real cheap use.

14. Kansas

Kansas TDPRI Member

Thanks for the tip. I have a Stryman Lex that I got mindlessly lost messing with the secondary settings. Then I discovered there is no factory reset, and the entire episode was absolutely no fun. Since then, as a matter of course, I just don’t pay any attention to the secondary setting stuff on Stryman pedals. I really like playing guitar, but don’t get much thrill screwing with electronic stuff. I guess I better hunt for the Deco manual though.

15. PCollen

PCollen Friend of Leo's

With 65% of respondents answering NO to whether they even own a single Strymon pedal, it doesn't seem to me that they are THAT "in".

16. Blues Twanger

Blues Twanger Tele-Afflicted

I can see that side of the argument. Perhaps it is better said that Strymons are IN amongst reviewers and thus popular to discuss amongst those who have bought them.

17. Collin D Plonker

Collin D Plonker Tele-Afflicted

I gassed pretty hard for the Blue Sky reverb, foregoing the ridiculously expensive Big Sky I looked at all the Reverb listings every day and determined the price point I would give for one. It took a long time to make the right deal, as they go pretty quickly, but I finally got my price. I was so pumped.

I really can't remember when, but I started getting bored with the few functions -- three reverb types and two effects. So I sold it.

I think Strymon is overpriced. It sounds good, but there are lots of good sounding pedals out there for a lot less. The big ones are close to $500 each. The smaller ones are 300. If you had compressor, overdrive and the big delay and reverb, a four pedal rig will be almost $1600.

18. Richie Cunningham

Richie Cunningham Tele-Afflicted

I think it’s pretty good for a line of pedals that starts at $299.

19. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh Poster Extraordinaire

You mean my living room wall and my TV are actually people??? :eek:

In all seriousness though, I don't own any nor do I intend to; they're massively overpriced. My boo-teekiest pedals are a couple from Nocturne, admittedly pretty spendy also, but built by a guy active on the Gretsch forum and those are the types of folks I'd prefer to support when I can.
    Of course, the pedals themselves do sound pretty phenomenal and that sure doesn't hurt.

ndcaster and BorderRadio like this.
  20. PastorJay

PastorJay Friend of Leo's

The only Strymon pedal I own is the Blue Sky. If you explore it well, it has 9 different sounds. But I've only found 3 that I use. And I don't use it that often, probably because it's not really needed for most of the music I play.

But it's really good at what it does. And I'll hang on to it for the next time I need one of those 3 sounds.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.