1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

How ubiquitous is Strymon?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Richie Cunningham, Feb 14, 2021.

Do you have any Strymon pedals?

1. No.

2. I have one.

3. Two.

4. Three.

5. Four.

6. Five.

7. More than five.

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Source Audio, Boss, Line 6, TC Electronic, Eventide, Chase Bliss Audio, Walrus Audio...

RomanS likes this.
  2. Andy ZZ

Andy ZZ TDPRI Member

Never heard of them before this thread.
    Went to their site, looked and listened.
    Goddammit, now I need a Volante.
    Thank you very little.
    The missus is going to skin me.
    -az-

matrix and PBO Blues like this.
  3. Kansas

Kansas TDPRI Member

I’ve got a Deco too, but it’s on my guitar room pedal board. For me it’s too muddy and washed out for band use and it didn’t make the cut when I decided big heavy pedal boards weren’t any fun to carry around.

4. dreamingtele

dreamingtele Friend of Leo's

i just realized this, yes, they do have that signature Strymon hi-fi sound dont they?

And thats exactly what got me to sell my Timeline in exchange for my Boss DD-500 and RV-500 for the same amount of money I sold it. Lol.

like I said in my previous post here, my ears just like Boss delays and reverbs more. Nothing against Strymon stuff. Individual preferences, i guess.

but I still want a Flint. Lol.

5. Tweeker

Tweeker TDPRI Member

I agree. Although I resisted considering Strymon for years because of a perceived snob appeal and price point, I now own an El Capistan and have changed my tune. It's flexible, good sounding, well designed and constructed. Also, their extra nerdy demo videos I happen to like a lot and find them more helpful than most.
    When there were few choices, it was mostly about sound. Now there's an 'embarrassment of pedal riches' available and it seems impossible to make pedal choices on sonics alone.*

*don't you just hate it when your pedal doesn't match your outfit?
    *does this pedal make my ass look fat?

Lawdawg likes this.
  6. JoeNeri

JoeNeri Friend of Leo's

I think use of the word ubiquitous has become far too ubiquitous.

7. PastorJay

PastorJay Friend of Leo's

I look fat no matter what pedals I'm using. Because, well, . . .

8. Lawdawg

Lawdawg Tele-Afflicted

That's a great point that gets missed sometimes. Sometimes you end up spending more on a bunch of sub $100 pedals chasing features and sounds that you could nail with one $300 pedal.

For example, I paid $400 for a used Moogerfooger Cluster Flux to cover analog modulation effects. While that's a lot for a modulation pedal, to cover the same ground as the Cluster Flux you would need three pretty high end analog pedals -- a chorus, flanger, and vibrato -- that would probably cost even more and still not have as much functionality. The Strymon Volante is similar. To do what it does, you'd more likely need to get at least two delay pedals -- one for a Binson style drum delay and one for a more traditional tape delay sound -- that would end up costing as much if not more than the Volante in the first place.

BorderRadio likes this.
  9. decibel

decibel Tele-Meister

Yep.
    Though I had the Iridium and thought it sucked. Only one that I've owned that disappointed. Own 4 others, though. All great.

10. BorderRadio

I thought the iridium was pointless when it came out, but I wasn’t thinking of DI/‘amp’-less as a player at the time. Now I’m looking at IRs and modeling in something like a Helix stomp and midi implementation. What made you not like it?

11. decibel

decibel Tele-Meister

I didn't think it sounded very good (metallic sound to it). I wasn't up for messing with various impulse developers and just used the stock, though.

It's worth trying. I got my money back selling it because I bought it used and got a good price. Do that, if you can be patient.

12. 11 Gauge

11 Gauge Doctor of Teleocity

But how often does someone actually end up using each of those equally?

The TC Electronic HOF 2 is eleven pedals in one by the same logic. $150 / 11 = $13.74 per pedal. And it has a stomp switch that doubles as an expression pedal. Actually, because of the TonePrint stuff, I guess it's potentially an infinite number of pedals.

I typically just end up with one or maybe two settings that I like, and everything else ends up never being used. For that reason, I never personally look at these types of pedals as being X in one. I just want at least one killer setting, and hope that the overall cost of the pedal seems inline with that.

13. BorderRadio

Yes, good point. That’s the reason I sold my El Cap to get a Volante, as it replaced my CB Echorec at the same time. On top of that, the ‘studio’ tape option on the Volante is probably part Deco, minus the preamp/saturation effect.

Lawdawg likes this.
  14. mikestearns

mikestearns Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I don't think I've had a chance to use it yet really with a band, so I'm a little worried about that, but I'm excited to see how it does in wide stereo mode with a band.

15. PastorJay

PastorJay Friend of Leo's

The Blue Sky has multiple reverbs plus a couple different shimmer sounds and a "modulation" mode that sounds to me like putting Chorus on your reverb.

I'll admit that I only use one of the shimmer sounds and two of the reverbs. And never use the modulation settng, although I would in the right kind of band for that sound.. As I've said above, for how much use this pedal actually gets (and the amount of time that it's set on spring reverb) I could have spent less and been perfectly happy. But it sounds great. I don't regret the purchase and won't sell it, because it's perfect for what it does.

16. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Maybe it's more fair to think of the Flint as two great pedals in one. Reverb and Trem. At that price and for the form factor, $150 per pedal is not excessive IMO.

I don't own one but this thread might just push me there . . .

PBO Blues likes this.
  17. ndcaster

ndcaster Doctor of Teleocity

Oh, for sure. If you use trem, you can use one of each for variety even in the same set. Anything to keep listeners surprised and engaged.

The HOF and any multi-FX units are good deals.

18. Richie Cunningham

Richie Cunningham Tele-Afflicted

19. Richie Cunningham

Richie Cunningham Tele-Afflicted

I have a $300 Boss looper, but I don’t think they’re more common than Strymon. You know what this means, though? More polls!

BorderRadio likes this.
  20. RomanS

RomanS Poster Extraordinaire

I use (or rather: used - before the pandemic...) my Deco live with my band all the time, I didn't find it muddy at all; and that was going into a 5E3, not the most clear/bright amp.

Before I got the Deco, I used a Lovepedal Echophonic Jr., that one was a lot darker, less clear...

Frankly, I'm surprised how anyone could find the Deco muddy, it is definitely brighter than most analog delay pedals. Maybe @Kansas had the "high trim" turned down inadvertently? That's one of the hidden "secondary functions".

wulfenganck and BorderRadio like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.