1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

How ubiquitous is Strymon?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Richie Cunningham, Feb 14, 2021.

Do you have any Strymon pedals?

1. No.

2. I have one.

3. Two.

4. Three.

5. Four.

6. Five.

7. More than five.

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. 11 Gauge

11 Gauge Doctor of Teleocity

When it comes to pedals that cost $300 or more, I'd personally rather put that money to guitars or amps.

I don't really play much in the way of fancy music, so something like a HOF 2 has me covered 100%. I was toying with getting a blueSky, but just couldn't pull the trigger. I ended up getting a Neunaber Immerse MkII for like $50 - $60 less than the blueSky would have cost, only to discover that I like the HOF 2 better.

I also pretty much refuse to tote around a pedalboard with bigger or wider pedals on it. I'm willing to sacrifice a bit of sonic perfection (whatever that might be) in order to make my rig more portable.

2. RobRiggs

RobRiggs Tele-Meister

Wasn’t trying to ‘Jack the thread, but it seems like Boss is the pedal everybody owns. I’ve got 14 that alternate on and off my board. The guys I jam with all own Boss pedals, know how they work and, if they’re playing my rig, know right where to set things like they prefer. Talk about ubiquitous :)

Fretting out likes this.
  3. Richie Cunningham

Richie Cunningham Tele-Afflicted

I could have bought a nice guitar (or two or three) with what I’m going to spend on Strymon, but I already have nice guitars. What I don’t have is high-end digital. Also, these big fancy pedals are the best thing to stave off boredom. I like them.

4. maxvintage

maxvintage Poster Extraordinaire

I see threads at the gear page where people are stressing about whether or not strymon is too popular and therefore uncool. Seems silly to me. At one time I had three Strymon pedals but I was only ever using the El Capistan, which has been with me for quite a while now.

They make clever, well considered and useful stuff, but of course lots of pedal makers do

matrix, MilwMark and Lies&Distortion like this.
  5. Richie Cunningham

I don’t care if people think the pedals I have are cool. But I do care what people have on their own boards, and why.

Everybody knows that Boss has what may be the best market penetration of any pedal brand on the planet. I didn’t start this tread to ask about them. I wanted to see how Strymon does for being an expensive pedal that’s not a Boss or an EHX.

6. ndcaster

ndcaster Poster Extraordinaire

I play a lot of roots music and have a Flint. It's essential to me for when I use a non-reverb, non-trem solid-state amp. All the effects on it (three trems, three verbs) are excellent. I don't hear the Flint producing a "recorded guitar" sound through any of my amps, tube or solid-state.

The Flint does not have predelay on its reverbs, so I bought a Catalinbread Talisman (plate) for vocals. Works great. It's a different plate sound, but I'm hard-pressed to say exactly how. The lockdown has prevented me from putting new pedals through much stage volume situations.

The next Strymon pedal for me might be the Deco, but that Sunset sure looks tempting.

RomanS and D_Malone like this.
  7. D_Malone

D_Malone Tele-Holic

I hear quite a bit of pre-delay on the Flint's '80s setting, and I like it. ;)

ndcaster likes this.
  8. Ash Telecaster

Ash Telecaster Friend of Leo's

I went through a Strymon phase. At this point I don't own any but that's not because I don't like their products. They just don't have a place on my board right now so I moved them on for others to enjoy and to fund more gas.

9. bluesholyman

bluesholyman Friend of Leo's

I had a Volante for a very short time. It sounded good, almost too good, and I decided to part with it. I tried one or two other Strymons in the store and they just didn't do it for me. There was certainly this perception [in my head] that I should like them because of their price and a substantial user base. I could never connect on a musical level with them.

I once heard someone describe Strymon pedals as the sound you hear on the recording, but not necessarily the sound you hear in from of the amp - they might have been referring specifically to the Iridium in that moment though. Not sure if that makes sense or not, but I understood exactly what they were saying. And for me, thats kinda how I have felt about all Strymon pedals. I should suggest that I don't think it is an analog vs digital thing, as I like the Digitech Obscura as a delay pedal and its all digital. My reverb is a Digitech Supernatural and Lexicon does great algorithms.

For delay, I ended up with a Belle Epoch Deluxe and it is THAT sound I was after - again, digital emulation of the tape. It is more expensive than the small-box Strymon, but i like it a lot.

I don't see myself ever using Strymon, acknowledging that they are great pedals.

10. Mike M

Mike M Tele-Holic

Flint
    Ola
    Deco
    Iridium

RomanS likes this.
  11. ping-ping-clicka

ping-ping-clicka Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

if you face stays like that you'll never get lucky again, I'm just sayin.

look my friend , I don't spend money on on wine, women or white powders, slow horses or fast cars, the whole damned family is down for the dirt nap and I'm gettin' social security I don't pay income tax, I'm a handicapped cancer survivor with subsidized housing because of a very serious case of chemobrain, no balance and blasted short term memory.
    What harm can snappy-hubba-hubba-way-cool pedals do? I ask you. believe now buy now.jpg

BorderRadio and MilwMark like this.
  12. Hey_you

Hey_you Tele-Afflicted

I have the NightSky. I have my synth system patched through it. I am still learning it, tho I pretty much know what to adjust when I want to edit a sound. Fun for the synth, but I don't see much use for a guitar as of yet.
    Synth system.jpg

BorderRadio likes this.
  13. Festofish

Festofish Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

The sure seem to have taken over. I’ll probably buy one when they come to their senses on the price. Currently Boss and EHX are keeping me happy, engaged and with money left in my pocket. Seriously you can get a lot of EHX and Boss for <$120. I bought a few higher end pedals and meh...I didn’t get 2 to 3 times the enjoyment. The $230 Muffuletta sits in storage. Alexander Space Race was awesome but sold it.

ping-ping-clicka likes this.
  14. stylemessiah

stylemessiah TDPRI Member

Pffftt

will never pay that much for a pedal for pedal peen points

ill let others do it

15. Richie Cunningham

A third of respondents have indicated they own at least one Strymon pedal. That’s pretty good for something that’s relatively pricey.

16. PBO Blues

PBO Blues Tele-Holic

Flint, plus a Zuma (not counted as a pedal) to power the whole shebang.

17. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

...sooo
    To answer the OP, not that ubiquitous at all?

You’d think for a made in USA pedal, built to high quality standards, and keeping a ‘knobs-on-a-box’ only approach, Strymon would do well in these parts. Which is fine either way, just part of the irony. :)

18. ndcaster

ndcaster Poster Extraordinaire

The Flint is six pedals in one.

$300 / 6 = $50 per pedal.

USA, excellent quality, excellent manuals, responsive to email.

I see "the Strymon route" as consolidating while upgrading -- with one caveat: you have to like hi-fi sound.

PBO Blues, Lawdawg and MilwMark like this.
  19. Richie Cunningham

What other $300, $400, $500 pedal brand is on so many boards?

20. thejumpcat

thejumpcat TDPRI Member

I gigged for many years with a '68 Super Reverb, then I discovered the tweed tone. Although I no longer gig, my main amp now is a '58 Fender Pro, and the Flint gives me three very useful reverbs and trems. The quality and functionality are high, too.

Got it used for $265. That's cheaper than an outboard reverb unit and a separate trem pedal, and it takes up far less space. For me, someone who hates 99% of pedals, it's damn near perfect.

PBO Blues likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.