1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

How ubiquitous is Strymon?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Richie Cunningham, Feb 14, 2021.

Do you have any Strymon pedals?

1. No.

2. I have one.

3. Two.

4. Three.

5. Four.

6. Five.

7. More than five.

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. swervinbob

swervinbob Tele-Afflicted

I won’t lie. I had to look up the meaning of the word. It’s funny, some years I may read over 100 novels and I still see words used that I’m not sure I’ve seen before.

CRMCRM and RobRiggs like this.
  2. naveed211

naveed211 Friend of Leo's

I see Timelines a lot especially in the church band scene (which I was in a few years ago when I was still religious). Usually in the bigger churches.

Personally I haven’t been blown away by the few Strymons I’ve tried. Not that they’re bad, I just prefer other things which also happen to be simpler and cheaper.

Axegrinder77 likes this.
  3. BottyGuy

BottyGuy Tele-Meister

I”ve got a Deco, the tape saturation side is almost always on, except for super clean funk strumming. I also find the saturation useful to get a good slight breakup for playing quietly at home, using the Deco volume control to set the overall level. Pushing drive pedals into the saturation works great, it’s currently essential for me.

I use the modulation side as my main slap back, chorus, a flange sounds. I have three positions on the right side knob memorized and cycle between them with my foot.

oafyuf, Old Smokey, Mike M and 2 others like this.
  4. Naigewron

Naigewron TDPRI Member

Strymon make great stuff. I don't have any of their pedals these days, since my HX Stomp takes care of my effect needs, but I've owned a BlueSky, El Capistan, Flint and Riverside. All amazing pedals. Easy to use, and offered great sounds wherever you set the dials.

5. ping-ping-clicka

ping-ping-clicka Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

I have found that the Strymon pedal that I have , provide for me a sound that I have been unable to create with other pedals .
    1.) The Iridium, Amp Sounds
    2.) The Riverside , Overdrive Distortion sounds
    3.) Deco, Saturation sounds

I record using a DAW in my studio apartment. using real amplifiers is no a viable option for achieving to guitar sounds that I am interested in emulating. The choice of using these pedal is the sound characteristic that are available to use. It's no longer a matter of this that or the other when it comes to the choices available. it's now a matter of shades and textures in gradations.
    ccd140a88c2af45d2072eaa8ef0af296.jpg

oafyuf, BorderRadio and RomanS like this.
  6. ping-ping-clicka

ping-ping-clicka Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

I really liked the El Capistran , then I saw the demo the Pete Celi did of the Volante and I realized how much more powerful the Volante is when compared to the El Capistran. The ability to use midi to control the possibilities with regard to automation of function make the Volante very "Dub" friendly (example "The Dub Trio")

_dave_ and BorderRadio like this.
  7. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

Often tempted but never gave in.
    The Mobius, el Capistan, Flint all look wonderful but would total over $1,000.
    [​IMG]

ping-ping-clicka likes this.
  8. codamedia

codamedia Poster Extraordinaire

That's because other pedals in their price range are rare!

Let me put it this way... I see a lot less flints than any other reverb or tremolo pedals on the market.

9. Marc Morfei

Marc Morfei Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Half my pedals are Boss, the other half are a variety of common brands, all purchased used, no expensive boutiques. What I have is good enough for my low-stakes playing.

Axegrinder77 likes this.
  10. RomanS

RomanS Poster Extraordinaire

IMG_20210215_145531.jpg

That's my pedalboard for my rockabilly/honky-tonk country/Western swing band: AB pedal (to switch between my Tele and my lap steel), tuner, Strymon Deco.

I used to run much more pedals (ODs, booster, delays), ever since I got the Deco, it's all that I need, and the Deco is the last pedal I'm ever going to sell...

It is the best slapback echo I ever had - and I have had some pretty "boutique" ones; the Deco is simply in a league of it's on. I have recorded with my band in a real 50s style studio - everything tube-driven, no gear younger than from 1960, slapback done with an extra tape machine, just like at Sun Studio - and the Deco nails that tape echo sound to a T!
    And the "saturation" side is perfect for my needs: I mostly use a 5E3 tweed Deluxe clone, set right below breakup - and I just need to step on the saturation button to push it over the edge and get some dirt. And when I use my Carr Rambler (for bigger venues), which is much cleaner than the 5E3, I just dial in a bit of dirt on the Deco, for a perfect amp-like low gain OD sound.

matrix, BottyGuy, oafyuf and 3 others like this.
  11. Tuneup

Tuneup Tele-Holic

Kinda pricey so not as common as others, like say Boss.
    I use the Strymon Zuma and its little buddy Ojai, clean power and ports that switch from 9 to 12 to 18v.

Their pedals are good quality, the reverbs in them are excellent and they have some real odd ones too like Night Sky and Volante.

12. Drak

Drak Tele-Holic

Well, I actually love the way other people use Strymons.
    In the right hands, they sound magnificent.

But I've always been a trendbucker.
    Whichever way the typical crowd is going, you'll usually find me swimming directly upstream of that.

And I'm cheap when pedal shopping, so I'm always looking for deals.
    And I always search out the 'B' brand, or the underdog, or the unknown 'same as' that will do the same thing.

To the extent I even buck Boss pedals.
    I've always been a D.O.D. guy instead, and have several old D.O.D. equivalents instead of using the Boss line.

Having said all that, I have four reasonable sized boards that do just about anything.
    So, if I wanted or needed a Strymon, I would have them, but I don't.

I did buy a Meris Polymoon tho!

13. GGardner

GGardner Friend of Leo's

I'm sure they're a great product. But when I'm in the pedal market (i.e., when I'm bored), I usually like to keep things under $100, with a three knob maximum. So that rules out Strymon.

ping-ping-clicka likes this.
  14. GGardner

GGardner Friend of Leo's

Agreed. When I think of ubiquitous, I think of unremarkable things that have become inescapable--like pod coffee makers or Madonna in her heyday.

15. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

How does one punish their gear into submission with dynamics?

16. KC

KC Friend of Leo's

I have one gig board that I use with different amps depending on the size of the gig. Some of these amps -- all the big-gig amps -- come without onboard trem or reverb so the Flint is an easy solution. Sounds are good to really good even at stage levels or maybe especially at stage levels. And I can get my sound at any volume level.

17. Dan German

Dan German Doctor of Teleocity

They’re the ones that say “Strymon” on them. :D

Obviously, you haven’t heard MY *ahem* “dynamics.” Punishment enough for anyone... :eek:

suave eddie and MilwMark like this.
  18. notroHnhoJ

notroHnhoJ Tele-Meister

I’m always tempted by one, (particularly the Deco) but I’m kind of a luddite I guess. For now I have a strict no modeling pedal rule

oafyuf likes this.
  19. D_Malone

D_Malone Tele-Holic

The Flint is the only Strymon I've owned and based on my experience with it I wouldn't hesitate to buy another Strymon. Currently considering the Volante.

20. dreamingtele

dreamingtele Friend of Leo's

Id love a Flint, but never had nor tried one. Always get tempted to buy but never follow through.

i had the Timeline though. Its very good, nice sounding and makes your delay trails sound like a million bucks, however, I never really got on with that sound.

I guess my ears like boss delays more. So I sold it, and bought a DD-500 and put the rest of the money to purchase an RV-500 to pair it with.

and I’m one of those worship guitarists. The way I see it, some consider it (Strymon stuff) as kind of like the “standard” for delay, reverb and modulation, and then you have the small pedals (Flint, Deco, etc) for some of the more focused stuff. Then you have the Volante and Night Sky which fills a small niche as well.

Also, besides being a boss fanboi, my nature doesnt like to follow the trend, I always like to go against the flow. I dont like to sound like the other 100 guys that all use the same stuff.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.