1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

How ubiquitous is Strymon?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Richie Cunningham, Feb 14, 2021.

Do you have any Strymon pedals?

1. No.

2. I have one.

3. Two.

4. Three.

5. Four.

6. Five.

7. More than five.

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. suave eddie

suave eddie Friend of Leo's

I’ve never seen one. Wouldn’t know what they look like.

2. DougM

DougM Poster Extraordinaire

I hate to break it to you, but those cheap pedals "impinging on your tone" use the same parts as your "Booteek" ones. You're listening with your eyes and your wallet.

matrix and loopfinding like this.
  3. Axegrinder77

Axegrinder77 Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Disagree. There's a difference. Open one up. Even if you don't, the casing, switches, jacks, etc... Better quality in general.

I can't afford to put dollar store Chinese crap in my chain. No time for that.

telepraise, bluesholyman and RomanS like this.
  4. Jay Jernigan

Jay Jernigan Tele-Afflicted

I'm surprised at how ubiquitous the word "ubiquitous" has become.
    I'm from the country, we just say "common."

5. Shango66

Shango66 Friend of Leo's

Flint, Lex & Iridium.

_dave_ and DaphneBlue like this.
  6. Informal

Informal Tele-Afflicted

Edit:

Nevermind...... I read it wrong, I thought we were talking about the coolers you buy at the gas station, when you forgot your Coleman in the garage.

Drank way more than I thought apparently.

7. PastorJay

PastorJay Friend of Leo's

I've got a Blue Sky. Given how little I use it, or that I sometimes use it as a spring reverb, I could have spent way less to get a pedal that was just as functional for my purposes. But it sounds SO GREAT I can't sell it. Hoping to play a gig sometime soon where it's useful.

8. Turtleneck

Turtleneck Tele-Holic

I have a Flint I bought when my '64 VibroChamp was getting a lot of use. The Carr has a brilliant on board reverb, so I'm plugging straight in most of the time now.

I do love the Flint though.

_dave_ and RomanS like this.
  9. Old Smokey

Old Smokey Tele-Meister

Flint/Deco.

oafyuf and RomanS like this.
  10. loopfinding

loopfinding Friend of Leo's

i'm about to take a dive with the iridium. analog amp sims feel real, but they don't sound real. digital amp sims sound real, but they don't feel real. i'm hoping the JFET drive stage in the iridium will split the difference. i'm at my wits end trying to figure out a standalone solution (practicing or running into other hardware without having to deal with a DAW), and i got a good deal on one.

i can't say i have much interest in their other pedals. especially DSP drives, comps, tremolos? why? there is no need in my book to emulate a simple analog circuit that can be made cheaper, sound just as good, and live in a smaller enclosure. that being said, i wouldn't mind them doing more stuff in eurorack in the vein of stereo master bus comps, eqs, etc. that would be super useful so long as they don't make them a mile wide.

as far as the general effects go, they totally sound nice, but they're too big and too expensive for guitar for my taste. stuff like TC will do me just fine for playing guitar live, and good quality plugins are cheaper and work equally well at home.

as far as the wackier stuff, well, that's what i have eurorack and elektron equipment for...which do way more than just act as pedals. my general feeling is that on the electronics/non-guitar side of things, people mostly just like the sound of their reverbs and delays (which do sound good) moreso than looking for a specific workflow. when i think of those "ambient music" guys with all the strymon stuff, my first thought is guitarists who haven't made the full leap into electronics moreso than the electronic ambient dudes.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2021
  11. NWinther

NWinther Friend of Leo's

Had two of those pedals....tried quite a few of their other ones.
    Did not liked them one bit, they where strange flat sounding things in various setups.
    Normally I keep pedals for some time to get to know them, and figure out where they work the best.

But not for those two pedals.
    After a week both where sold off again.
    Sounds too much like recordings and not an actual guitar sound to me.
    They work for others and they where nice to use, so I am not really hating them, just did not have a use for that kind of sound.

12. Lawdawg

Lawdawg Tele-Afflicted

I have the Volante and it's the best sounding, most musical delay I've ever used, bar none. There's really no other digital tape delay pedal that covers the same ground as the Volante and certainly none I've heard that sound as good short of the real deal. While it's a deep pedal with tons of functionality, it's still simple to use from the main controls. Most of the other Strymon pedals are redundant of other pedals and effects I've already got covered.

As a side note, the Volante also pairs really well with synths and other electronic instruments. It's especially good at adding some organic lushness to digital synths like my Yamaha FS1R.

muscmp likes this.
  13. loopfinding

loopfinding Friend of Leo's

some yes, some no. brand like mooer for sure - they more or less make straight clones, nothing less, nothing more, and jam them into a small enclosure. I grab them when I’m feeling lazy about building, they’re solid. but joyo tier and below...everything is all tl062s and 2n3904/6 all the time, film caps don't exist, poor grounding, etc.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2021
  14. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

Strymon is too smart for me, too many explanations, rationalizations, simulations and emulations.

I like the dumber tech (tape & bbd) the smart builders simulate and emulate.

I've never actually seen a Strymon pedal though, except in pics players take and post online.

15. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

Bad notes?
    Which ones are those?
    I have yet to meet a note I didn't like and have some use for!
    Maybe you mean a note that stepped out of line?
    I just move the line when that happens.
    Music can bee freeing or imprisoning.
    Choose freedom!
    Screw regret, it's the only thing that can possibly make any note into a bad note :(

16. Kevin Wolfe

Kevin Wolfe Tele-Holic

Well said. As a bassist, I find that I’m never more than one fret away from the perfect note.

telemnemonics likes this.
  17. joebloggs13

joebloggs13 Tele-Afflicted

I've got 5 on my board. The Flint, El Cap, Deco, DIG and the Lex. All are great. The Strymon small boxes are excellent.

_dave_ and RomanS like this.
  18. rjtwangs

rjtwangs Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

20181125_190716.jpg
    My 3 Strymon's on my floorboard. I find them very easy to dial in. The build quality is as good as it gets. They can take the wear and tear of the road and I use them quite a bit. None of my amps have on board reverb, and one has on board tremolo so my Flint gets quite a bit of use while the others get their fair share of use.

RJ

Denny Dee likes this.
  19. Fretting out

Fretting out Poster Extraordinaire

Your post=BAM! SICK BURN!

20. Grandy

Grandy Tele-Holic

Never played one. Online demos sound good but not as good as the price might suggest. If I'm going to pay boutique price it has to be something unique that others aren't really offering. You can get perfectly fine delays for less than 150€/$, cheaper if you but used.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.