How to wire an HSS with a coil split correctly?

Telecaster582

Tele-Afflicted
So, here's under the pickguard of my 80's Memphis. I like the pickups, but for some reason when I flick the coil split switch literally nothing happens, and everything sounds the same. I would like some help on what's wrong here if anyone could help. All help appreciated, thanks.

Telecaster582

Tele-Afflicted
Here's some pics
IMG_20220625_194552158.jpg
IMG_20220625_194540535.jpg

Peegoo

Doctor of Teleocity
I would like some help on what's wrong here

@NoTeleBob is a quick way to see if the little toggle switch is working or not.

Let's do some diagnostics. Do you have a DMM (meter)? If so:

1. Flip the 5-way selector switch to the bridge (humbucker) position.

2. Set your meter to read DC Ohms.

3. Hold one probe on the output jack's tip contact.

4. Hold the other probe on the output jack's sleeve contact.

5. Read the meter. It should read somewhere around 10k Ohms OR 5k Ohms.

6. Flip the little toggle 'split' switch. Test across the output jack again.

Jack-Tip-Sleeve.jpg

If the split switch is working properly, it should read the other number in step 5 above. For example, if you read 10k Ohms in step 5, you should get 5k Ohms in step 6. If you got 5k ohms in step 5, you should get 10k Ohms in step 6.

The larger number is humbucking operation (both coils on). The smaller number is split-coil mode (one coil on).

NOTE: My 10k and 5k numbers are general guidance; Ohms readings vary across pickup makers/models. The important thing is that the smaller 'split' number will be half of the larger (humbucking) number. Another example: if a humbucking pickup reads 8.5k with both coils on, it will read 4.25k when split.

If flipping the little toggle switch does nothing, either the switch is bad, the pickup is bad, or there's a poor solder connection.

Telecaster582

Tele-Afflicted

Jack-Tip-Sleeve.jpg

If the split switch is working properly, it should read the other number in step 5 above. For example, if you read 10k Ohms in step 5, you should get 5k Ohms in step 6. If you got 5k ohms in step 5, you should get 10k Ohms in step 6.

The larger number is humbucking operation (both coils on). The smaller number is split-coil mode (one coil on).

NOTE: My 10k and 5k numbers are general guidance; Ohms readings vary across pickup makers/models. The important thing is that the smaller 'split' number will be half of the larger (humbucking) number. Another example: if a humbucking pickup reads 8.5k with both coils on, it will read 4.25k when split.

If flipping the little toggle switch does nothing, either the switch is bad, the pickup is bad, or there's a poor solder connection.
The pickup isn't bad, because I've played the guitar before, and it works, but when I flick the switch there's no difference in sound.

Tuxedo Poly

Friend of Leo's
I use a small screwdriver to check for coil split. Tap the poles of the humbucker with the screwdriver tip while plugged in. Full HB tapping both screw and slug poles should make a sound on the amp, split only one.
If tapping both screw and slug poles makes a sound with the switch operated, follow NoTeleBob's advice. If still no split the red wire is faulty. If it splits move the temporary wire to the yellow (Middle lug) on the switch and try again.

Telecaster582

Tele-Afflicted

Jack-Tip-Sleeve.jpg

Ok so what do I set this thing to?
IMG_20220626_153253363.jpg

Telecaster582

Tele-Afflicted
Set it to the 20k section measuring DC resistance (ohms, represented by the Greek letter Omega in yellow in this example). Pickups will typically measure in that range.
Thanks, I have only used this thing like twice and each time someone told me what to set it to

Telecaster582

Tele-Afflicted

Jack-Tip-Sleeve.jpg

Ok, I got 12.22 on both