1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

How to Wire a Deluxe Nashville Tele for neck and bridge Pickup

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by LowNote, Jun 6, 2020.

1. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I drew it in post #9 (second diagram is neck-on).

sdfstudios likes this.
  2. sdfstudios

sdfstudios TDPRI Member

With the 7 sound mod the Deluxe Nashville Tele must be one of the most versatile guitar on the market in its price range.

3. moosie

Re-reading this thread, I noticed an error in the wiring on my rotary switch diagram, in post #11. The issue is that the middle pickup was wired to be active in positions 3, 4, 5, not in 2, 3, 4 as it should have been. I hope this didn't cause anyone headaches.

Here's the corrected diagram.

Screen Shot 2020-06-18 at 02.48.10 AM.png

garrett and fleezinator like this.
  4. DHart

DHart Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

^ I like this simple, quick solution and use it on a couple of Strats and a Nashville Deluxe Tele.

[​IMG]

5. DHart

Excellent, moosie. BTW, are you Joe?

6. moosie

Yep, that's me.

DHart likes this.
  7. DHart

Can you recommend what rotary switch to get that works with your diagram?

On second thought... I think I’ll stick with the Strat 5-way that I use at present as the only thing the rotary would do for me that I don’t have is neck and middle, and I’m ok without that.

8. moosie

DHart likes this.
  9. jcsk8

jcsk8 TDPRI Member

I have those two schematics, both for super switch using. Never tried any yet. But if helps:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. garrett

garrett Tele-Afflicted

So. Many. Options.

I'm a big fan of the Phostenix Strat-O-Tele wiring. I use a version with full super switch on one of my Strats and it's my favorite configuration. I never found all three pickups useful, so this just toggles between middle or neck/bridge in position 3. It's a lot of wire for adding one extra sound, but for me it's more intuitive and easier to use than the 7-way mod.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

You can also sacrifice one of the other combo positions like below. I'm going to do another that does neck/middle instead of bridge/middle which I may use on a Nashville I'm planning.

[​IMG]

I'm also pretty intrigued by the 6-way blade. Just not sure how keen I am to try filing the switch slot on a Tele.

11. chrism27

chrism27 TDPRI Member

Garrett and Moosie: you two seem like proper Nashville wiring aficionados so I'm going to throw you a question :)

- I currently have Phostenix's strat-o-tele with an S1 and the 5 ways superswitch, but I find that I don't really dig the series tones and I wish the tele middle position (N+B) was available without having to press in the S1 switch.

Does the diagram of yours below require anything other than a 5-way super switch? In other words, could I lose the S1? Or, is there some other creative way I could use the S1 besides series wiring? Maybe different tone cap choices, or the resistor Moosie was talking about a few posts up to get "maximum strattiness" out of position 2?

Thanks guys for all these examples

12. garrett

garrett Tele-Afflicted

The one I created above just needs a 2-pole super switch.

BTW, I finished up my Nashville (see avatar) and ended up doing bridge/neck in pos 2 instead of bridge/middle since that's always my least used combo.

If you want maximum quack out of position 2, you can use the four pole super switch to bypass the tone control in that position (see the phostenix Strat diagram I shared).

If you want to keep the S1 switch, you can do a lot of stuff with it. One idea is the phostenix simple Strat-O-Tele.

[​IMG]

13. moosie

I add the resistor in parallel with the pots. This reduces overall resistance, darkening the tone. But as I said, it's not enough to sound "dark". Just softer. Maximum Strattiness, in my opinion, just like stock Strat pos 4, where you have both tone pots active.

What Garrett mentions is the opposite. Not sure how it increases the quack. Bypassing the tone will brighten the tone, making it more direct, sharper. Less of that signature Strat sound that I'm talking about.

Maybe we're talking about different things when we say "Strattiness"?

As Garrett says, use another pole on the full super switch to make the resistor/S1 only work in pos 2. Or, since it's already on a switch of it's own, let it work on any of the blade switch positions, and turn it off if you don't want.

garrett likes this.
  14. chrism27

chrism27 TDPRI Member

sorry, duplicate post...

Last edited: Sep 22, 2020
  15. garrett

garrett Tele-Afflicted

Ah yeah, I was thinking the opposite. I'm used to seeing people wanting 2/4 to be brighter for "maximum quack" which I guess I associate with "Strattiness". But what you're saying with the resistor makes sense, making equivalent load to a vintage style Strat on position 4.

moosie likes this.
  16. chrism27

chrism27 TDPRI Member

I find position 4 (in parallel) to be pretty dark on my guitar. Maybe it's the tele neck pickup's influence... I'd probably be inclined to remove the tone knob from that position. Position 2 is already plenty bright for me. I'm sure this all depends on your pickup choices.

17. chrism27

chrism27 TDPRI Member

Thanks guys. Well, I already have the full-on strat-o-tele wiring currently, so it doesn't really seem worth the effort to rewire and end up with less options. What I find is that I like the 2 and 4 "strat" positions most and the "Tele" middle position. So what I'd like to do is reverse the position 2 and 4 choices when S1 is up vs. down. That way all my most used sounds are with the S1 disengaged. Sadly I'm not the greatest at understanding anything beyond a simple 5 way switch. In other words, I currently have this:

Strat-O-Tele SS for Tele.jpg

And I'm looking to get this:

S1 Up (Parallel):
    1. Bridge
    2. Middle & Bridge in Parallel
    3. Neck & Bridge in Parallel
    4. Neck & Middle in Parallel
    5. Neck

S1 Down (Series):
    1. Bridge
    2. Middle & Bridge in Series
    3. Middle
    4. Neck & Bridge in Series
    5. Neck

I'm just not sure which wires I need to switch around to accomplish this. Any of you folks have an idea?

18. '64 Tele

'64 Tele Tele-Holic

I got a fender super switch to replace stock 5 way.
    I lost the middle pickup but itself but gained neck plus bridge.
    I have neck, neck/middle. Neck/bridge, middle/bridge and bridge (front to back).
    Never used the middle by itself, missed the neck/bridge of standard 2 pickup tele.

19. moosie

Difficult to say in words. I'll make a diagram, stay tuned.

20. moosie

Easier said than done. First, realize it's a complete rewire. May well be easier to rewire your brain and tell it that 'down' is the default.

I thought it was fairly straightforward, if still a ton of work, but you're leaving pos 3 Middle DOWN untouched. That doesn't work, because it's not existing in a vaccuum. Change it, and that don't work. Don't change it, another thing or two don't work.

Maybe someone else has the energy. I don't. Sorry. Been working in the shop all day... this one will take hours...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.