1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

How to test an OT

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by Mark the Moose, Jan 24, 2021.

1. Mark the Moose

Mark the Moose Tele-Afflicted

Last year I built a Weber 6a14HP 35watt Princeton Reverb. The 35watts was too much and a bad idea. So today I converted it to a standard 14 watt PR. The steps were...

1. change the PT leads
    2. swap the OT for a smaller one from Weber
    3. remove a filter cap which was soldered to the cap can
    4. change the bias resistors
    5. switch from 6L6 to 6v6 tubes.

Not a big job, but I have no sound. B+ is sitting at 360v, power tubes look perfect, but I checked any other voltages yet.

Is it possible that Weber sent me a bad OT? How would I go about testing it? I've attached layouts from the two kits in case that's helpful. 6a14_layout.jpg 6a14hp_layout.jpg

2. NTC

NTC Tele-Holic

First, check continuity of the primary and secondary. Power off and caps drained, of course. Check solder connections, output hack connections, and if you have a speaker plugged in.

3. Mark the Moose

Tested the speaker cable, checked solder joints. Hunted for wires/connections I may have accidentally disconnected along the way, nothing.

With the green and black output leads disconnected from the output jack, I measure a dead short between them. Is that normal?

4. dogmeat

dogmeat Friend of Leo's

Mark the Moose likes this.
  5. D'tar

D'tar Friend of Leo's

The ot secondary will read very low resistance.

6. drf64

drf64 Poster Extraordinaire

I'm no expert but I have built a 6a14. Make sure you've wired the speaker jack appropriately. I've accidentally shorted the jack and had the exact scenario you describe.

7. NTC

NTC Tele-Holic

Off topic but why did you want to change to "non HP?" I have a 5F11ish thing that I can change from 6L6 to 6V6 (different rectifiers) and the volume really isn't much different for a given speaker.

8. Mark the Moose

With a different PT tap and a smaller OT, there will be a more significant change than just swapping tubes and a rebias. The vibrolux output level was blistering in my small space. Getting normal Princeton levels makes more sense for me. If I don’t like it, I’m out $35.

9. Mark the Moose

A little more info. Fired it up to take voltages and the tremolo started thumping hard. With it, a little guitar signal came through with the thumps.

10. NTC

NTC Tele-Holic

My B+ is 420 to 425V - which is typical Princeton, iirc. If your b+ is 360, it should be much quieter.

Thumping tremolo implies the output works somewhat. Check bias along with voltages.

11. Nickfl

Nickfl Friend of Leo's

Is there a lightbulb limiter involved in this process? Because you really should be using one to check for shorts after major surgery like this.

12. Mark the Moose

Agreed, but no I don't have one. On the list of things I intended to build one day but haven't yet. I suppose I didn't see this as major surgery going in, but here we are.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.