1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

How to test a used wah wah pedal - what to look out for

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Mudguard, Aug 10, 2014.

1. Mudguard

Mudguard Tele-Meister

So I'm going to buy a used wah wah pedal. I noticed a lot of people won't buy this kind of pedals used because they suffer a lot from dirt, scratchy pots, mechanical abuse, etc. by design compared to other effects.
    Since I don't have much experience and I know this is a touchy area (used wah wah pedals), I would like to know what would you, pedal experienced people, look for if you HAD to test a used wah wah pedal.

I'm doing it becuase this is a good deal on a Dunlop Crybaby GCB-95 with a true bypass and led mods made by some well known local guys. I never used pedals before, just ocasionally borrowed some, and I'm gearing up for my funk band (used to play soul à la cropper, but now the funk demands funky sounds). Already got a Dynacomp (bought over here at the tdpri!) and this would be my second pedal, a wah (any thought for the third one?).

I'm looking for stuff like "play chord, stomp full on then gradually come back, strike a chord at the end, if it sounds like a police siren, walk away" or "put the amp very loud, turn up the treble and move the pedal without playing anything and hear for cracks" or "look down at the second screw to the right, if you see a fairy waving back at you, then it's alright" or stuff like that (but that actually makes some sense).

Thanks, from me and other used wah wah illiterates around the world that might read this. :lol:

2. Tim Bowen

Tim Bowen Poster Extraordinaire

I'd probably just keep playing Shaft wacka wacka trying to get the pot to crap out.

If the true bypass mod is good at least it shouldn't be a tonesucker, that would influence my interest in that particular one, over stock.

Or maybe bump this up for Joe Gagan.

3. Joe Gagan

Joe Gagan Tele-Meister

the old problem of scratchy wah pots sort of went away in the mid 90s when dunlop released the hotpotz2 wah pot in most of the their wahs. you can tell looking at it without removing the bottom, it is a one inch cylinder, black rim with a white insert on the back where the wires hook up. older wah pots will look silver and larger. most used wahs are gcb95s, many are newer than mid 90s, so if you get one of these , you are pretty much assured the pot will still last a very long time. in rare cases i have seen a wah used so much the hotpotz2 goes scratchy, but it is very rare.

on the other hand, most other wah pots suck and do not last worth a damn.

do not listen to people who say 'use pot cleaner ( or other liquids), the problem will go away" this is rarely more than a band-aid. simply a waste of time.

do a google search for hotpotz2 so you know what they look like and get a wah with one of those. dunlops have been excellent overall for durability for over 20 years now. there was a dark period after dunlop bought the company but this was mid 80s, those wahs are pretty hard to find and or have worn pots.

send me a message if you need any help dating the wahs.

used GCB95s can be had for 35 to 60 dollars used in my town, i think it is this way most places.

4. Tim Bowen

Tim Bowen Poster Extraordinaire

Thanks Joe, good stuff.

5. Mudguard

Mudguard Tele-Meister

Thanks Joe and Time! (Both real names, right?)
    I couldn't find this kind of info on the internet, and now here it is! All I found were bits about revision "something" having some desirable features or not. (Same thing with dynacomps).

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.