1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

How to tell when it's new tube time?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by paulkent, Apr 13, 2003.

1. paulkent

paulkent NEW MEMBER!

Greetings -

I have a Rivera Quiana amp and the "clean" channel (ch 2) ain't sounding too clean anymore, Also, there's a definite mismatch in the relative volume that this channel puts out compared to ch 1 (ch 2 needs is needs to be turned up considerably to match ch 1 on a lower volume setting). I'm wondering if this means a tube replacement is in order, or if a more major service will be required.

FWIW - I've gigged with this Quiana for nearly 2 years and find it to be a finnicky amp. Inconsistent tone gig to gig. When it's "happy" - the tone is fantastic, at moderate club size volume levels (clubs of 100-200 people). It's pretty tough to get acceptable lead tones at low volumes. The boost on the accompanying pedal (FS-7) is set at far to much of a boost when kicked in.

Any advice on how to tell when it's tube replacement time - or other thoughts on getting this beast under control is appreciated.

Thx,

Paul

2. justin

justin TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

i think new tubes might be in order...

2 years can be a pretty long time to go without changing tubes. I'm not much of an amp tech, but the volume difference between the two channels might be a preamp tube problem. Try switching them around (the preamp tubes) to see if anything noticeable happens. Some symptoms to look for (according to the groove tubes website) are:
    • Loss of highs or lows
      Muddy chords
      Poor balance in the output of various notes
      Lacks punch
      Makes funny noises
      Amp starts sounding weak
      Power fading up and down
      No sustain
      or fast decay
    Good Luck with your amp. A healthy amp is always funner to play. Especially with a good set of tubes.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.