How to tell if someone is rich

Piggy Stu

Friend of Leo's
Truly rich people didn't get rich by throwing their money away. Many of the ridiculously wealthy people have super modest daily drivers. Google's Eric Schmidt drives a Prius. Microsoft's Steve Ballmer drives a Ford Fusion. Ikea's Ingvar Kamprad drives a 93 Volvo 240.

Now you can't look at every Prius or Fusion and think a rich person must drive that. But the same goes for every Benz and Porsche you see too... just because one may own a $70,000 car doesn't mean they are rich. They could be like so many out there living paycheck to paycheck under a mountain of debt keeping up with the Kardashians trying to impress people who really couldn't care less and will forget about them a mile down the road.
Didn't Ingvar stop driving when he died?

kelnet

Telefied
Ad Free Member
Because he could afford to :)

Or maybe the cheap car was already in the carport when the tornado came through, and he didn't have time to swap them around. Or couldn't be bothered. I mean if neither car is in the carport, and there's a tornado coming and you only have time to move one car, any reasonable person is going to put the nicer car under cover. Now, maybe the cheap car was harder to repair and was actually more valuable in terms of sentiment. I don't know, it just seems like one of those goofy stories that people tell about "rich" people and their lack of common sense.

P Thought

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
I've always loved John Lennon's line, "You think you're so clever and classless and free. . .".

The Pew site is interesting. A bit depressing. I didn't know what to do with my four grown kids, whether to include them in household or not, because they're in and out of residence with us, and they're still a real part of our family finances, if you know what I mean. Anyway, Lennon is right about me: I'm a peasant.

Piggy Stu

Friend of Leo's
Probably?

Maybe "drove" instead of "drives" would have been more appropriate.
Too broadminded here to take the narrow worldview that ghosts cannot drive

Can't be long before lgbtqqia brigade want to self identify as ghosts

Piggy Stu

Friend of Leo's
You know we can't bring up politics. But we can make fun of dead white cisgendered males! #deadwhitecisgenderedmales
I self identify as a dead white cis gendered male: I am deeply offended and demand everyone in this race wins a prize before I have you crucified on Twitter for hatespeech

Fiesta Red

Poster Extraordinaire
I have a wife and daughter whom I love very much and who seem to love me too. I have a few great friends and a bunch of good ones. I have faith in a higher power, which gives me hope. I've got a good dog.

I have more than ten musical instruments--guitars, basses and other stuff. I have more than three pairs of shoes (shoot, I have more than 3 pairs of boots). I have more food than I can eat. I have two vehicles. I have a 3 bedroom house that's paid off.

I'm rich beyond compare.

NotAnotherHobby

Tele-Afflicted
I think you're wrong about everything here, except iPhones ;)

Class is a social construct.

If class is a social construct, then societies (one being an American society and attitude) define it differently. Given that there is no real American culture per se, then class has no meaning.

You're a Canadian. You can't sit there and tell me that there is a definable Canadian culture and society, as there are many. No more than someone in the US can point to a US culture and society. No one can tell you that you are doing something "out of your station," because there are no "stations." A homeless guy can become fantastically wealthy (and this has happened). A billionaire can become penniless (and that has happened as well).

In Europe, however, there is a distinct culture within a nationality - not so much these days, but it still exists to an extent. The same goes for places like India where castes rule.

kelnet

Telefied
Ad Free Member
I have a wife and daughter whom I love very much and who seem to love me too. I have a few great friends and a bunch of good ones. I have faith in a higher power, which gives me hope. I've got a good dog.

I have more than ten musical instruments--guitars, basses and other stuff. I have more than three pairs of shoes (shoot, I have more than 3 pairs of boots). I have more food than I can eat. I have two vehicles. I have a 3 bedroom house that's paid off.

I'm rich beyond compare.

That is certainly rich by many standards, but "beyond compare"? Oh I think we can come up with some comparisons.

Do you have a yacht? A personal jet?
Do you own a major league sports team?
Do you have homes in the most exclusive neighbourhoods in more than three cities?
Do investment companies have portfolios named after you?

I mean let's face it. There's rich, in the "I have everything I could ever want" kind of rich. The kind of "rich" that makes people go "aww, that's so mature and level-headed of him." That's Hallmark Card rich.

Then there's the kind of rich that impacts global economies. The kind of rich that accumulates corporations the way some of us accumulate Squier Telecasters. The kind of rich that if your house in that exclusive California suburb burns to the ground in a wildfire, you simply shrug and go to San Moritz for your winter holiday. The kind of rich that has a permanent reservation at every five star restaurant in Paris, London, and Montenegro, just on the off-chance that you might fly in for a weekend. The kind of rich that funds investments in technology that will transfer your brain into a robot so that you can live forever.

Yeah, we can compare. :)

Fiesta Red

Poster Extraordinaire
That is certainly rich by many standards, but "beyond compare"? Oh I think we can come up with some comparisons.

Do you have a yacht? A personal jet?
Do you own a major league sports team?
Do you have homes in the most exclusive neighbourhoods in more than three cities?
Do investment companies have portfolios named after you?

I mean let's face it. There's rich, in the "I have everything I could ever want" kind of rich. The kind of "rich" that makes people go "aww, that's so mature and level-headed of him." That's Hallmark Card rich.

Then there's the kind of rich that impacts global economies. The kind of rich that accumulates corporations the way some of us accumulate Squier Telecasters. The kind of rich that if your house in that exclusive California suburb burns to the ground in a wildfire, you simply shrug and go to San Moritz for your winter holiday. The kind of rich that has a permanent reservation at every five star restaurant in Paris, London, and Montenegro, just on the off-chance that you might fly in for a weekend. The kind of rich that funds investments in technology that will transfer your brain into a robot so that you can live forever.

Yeah, we can compare. :)
OK, I'm richer than a good portion of the world--both in possessions and in love. I understand that there are people who have more wealth, but I have a better life than many, many people, including some of those 1%-ers that some people rail about.