1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

How to tell if a pickguard is original?

Discussion in 'Vintage Tele Discussion Forum (pre-1974)' started by cap217, Oct 20, 2014.

1. cap217

cap217 Tele-Holic

It's curious about how you confirm a pickguard? It would be a late 60s w no perilod back.

2. Nightatthehotel

Nightatthehotel Tele-Holic

Pics?

3. Freewheeler

Freewheeler Tele-Afflicted

The originals had a small truss rod notch and the top arc also has a bevel where it meets the neck.

Attached Files:

4. PJ55

PJ55 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

If it looks old and has the truss scoop, there's a really good chance it's original. I'd looked for a replacement for my '70 for years (with that feature) and not even Fender offered one. It wasn't until fairly recently, that Fender began selling this style of pickguard. And, I finally got one. It's what they call eggshell color and is probably what's used on the '62 and '64 models. But, it's very close to standard white in color. Not aged at all. I guess it could also be a custom-made guard, but even the custom makers were reluctant to try to cut that feature for me, the couple of times I asked.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.