1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

How to tame 'fizzy' high-gain distortion mid-highs on Fender amps?

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by SonicLife, Jan 5, 2017.

1. SonicLife

SonicLife TDPRI Member

SO which dirt/fuzz pedals sound good.. and which don't?

2. Axis29

Axis29 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Fuzz:
    • My favorite is the Dunlop Band of Gypsies Fuzz Face (that's not a fuzz face)
    • Next up, either my Keely Fuzz Head or Plum Crazy Effects Fuzzy Lady, which is similar to the Fuzz Head, but also has a bias knob for more gated action
    • I love my Rat clone (Mooer Black Secret) as an overdrive, a distortion and as a fuzz
    Dirt:
    • Favorite is probably my ZVex Distortron - it's so flexible and sounds awesome
    • Tim - might be my favorite, though too. But, it is milder
    • The Catalinbread DLS III
    • Fulltone OCD (I have a recent one now)
    • The Mooer Black Secret, mentioned above
    • The Fuzz Head, also mentioned above
    • MXR Classic Overdrive
    • DoD OD250
    I really am more of a lower gain guy... 90% of my playing is nothing but guitar, reverb and amp. The two pedals mentioned on both lists I tend to use more as overdrive pedals with the gain down low. But, these have all worked for me over the years and I still have all of them. I won't let them go, actually. (The DoD is only a recent acquisition, but it kills). Every now and again, though, I really enjoy full on sonic assault. But, it really tends to be more classic heavy distortion, big Marshall sounds, not Mesa type sounds. No modern Metal stuff. I play all Fender amps, so, to get those classic Marshall distortion levels and/or tones, I use pedals.

SonicLife likes this.
  3. SonicLife

SonicLife TDPRI Member

Some neat pedals...I have a Mooer Black secret and its great, and a friend suggested i try a Rat for the scooping issue..I recently got the Moor PC-L6 loop switcher which is good. I think Mooer are quickly become the new Boss, their 'cheap Chinese crap' punches well above its weight! Personally have way too many dirts/fuzzss..from an original Russian Tall Font Bigmuff, Roland AD-50, Thorpy Peacekeeper, Klinger Buzz Fuzz, Dazatronyx Myriad, Tym Ram Head clone, allng with the fuzzes on my Keeley Darkside and Loomer workstations, oh and the Boss Superfeedbacker and Distortion...

Axis29 likes this.
  4. DaveKS

DaveKS Friend of Leo's

Yep, you need a clean/dirty (A/B) loop, you can get them in many configurations. Put pedals you need for clean in clean loop (eq, comp, chorus,etc.), dirty pedals in other loop. With one click you bounce from one to other. With this model you get option on stacking both chan if desired or bypass whole thing.

[​IMG]

Dial amp in so it works with your dirt pedals, then to get to that clean you want, let EQ, FET boosts or what have you get you there in clean channel of looper. Reshaping a clean sound is way easier in preamp/pedal section than trying to make your sparkly clean Fender amp work with your dirts. Just a simple eq>amp on clean channel can be brighter than most people can stand.

When your amp is running clean, it could care less if treble knob is it's built in treble knob or eq setting in front of amp. Only difference is one the treble is before 1st preamp tube, other treble on amp may fall after v1 or even v1a, depends on amp. Running clean, difference is all but unnoticeable.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2017
  5. Axis29

Axis29 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

I am pretty sure the Black Secret is a Rat.

You also have fun list of pedals... I let a Black Russian Muff go a number of years ago. It was a great pedal. I picked it up at a swap meet for like 30 bucks and was blown away by it. Another one of those I have second thoughts about ever letting go....

SonicLife likes this.
  6. KB11

KB11 TDPRI Member

You can't boost anything with a fender tone stack, it's cut only.
    As far as vintage Marshall and twins tone circuits if you play them both through the same speakers, they are very similar.
    I was plotting those tone responses before you were born.

7. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

Absolutely. Same with passive guitar circuits.

Tone circuits, yes. Early Marshalls were virtually identical to the Fender Bassman circuit.

But each complete amplifier through the same speakers sounds quite different.

You were putting tone circuits when I was TWO years old?

8. CV Jee Beez

CV Jee Beez Tele-Holic

Celestion G12-65

9. RLee77

RLee77 Friend of Leo's

Going by the age diff between you guys, you were plotting tone responses at 2 years old. Impressive! :p

Mr Ridesglide likes this.
  10. Glass Onion

Glass Onion Tele-Meister

Gonna jump on as a former CVR owner. They get fizzy at high gain

Not as pedal friendly as most fender amp.

Zinky made an amp that was intended to be played loud and proud but it is not an amp that pedals can improve.

Just my .02

11. Glass Onion

Glass Onion Tele-Meister

But if you have another version I have no input.

12. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

Yeah, a parametric may be more useful in some cases. There are other models by Artec, Boss, and Arion, off the top of my head.

13. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

Any good quality pedal (and many cheap ones!) will sound great - it all depends on how your amp is set up. Tubes, power tube bias, speaker, voicing - it all makes a difference.

14. SonicLife

SonicLife TDPRI Member

I think you have nailed the issue, mind you mine has a mod in it of a master volume so I play it at around 3-4 volume and about 5 on the master to maintain clean headroom, any louder, especially on volume and of course it's dirty and distorted...Look it sounds great live, in future I may rely on a different amp when recording to maintain those clean/distorted indie-alt-punk style dynamics.

Glass Onion likes this.
  15. SonicLife

SonicLife TDPRI Member

APPARENTLY the Wampler 'plexi drive' is the pedal that can tame the fizzy/scooped high-mids on a Fender amp..I got this word from the man himself!!

16. misterdontmove

misterdontmove Tele-Meister

I agree! Even a vintage pull like a Mullard, or long plate RCA tube, should warm that amp up.

hrstrat57 likes this.
  17. hrstrat57

hrstrat57 Tele-Afflicted

Suggested in thread twice. Try high quality 12AT7 and or 12AY7 in V1 or NOS 12AX7. Heck roll em....cheaper vs boutique stomp boxes and could be magic

18. thickwood

thickwood TDPRI Member

Classic case of preamp 12ax7 retubing fixing that EQ fizz.
    Vintage Mullard or Tungsram 12ax7 will give ya tone not fizz !

SonicLife likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.