1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

How to spot a Craigslist scammer

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Marc Morfei, Sep 29, 2020.

1. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

No idea how much stuff I've bought off Craigslist, and lately FB marketplace. Scammers are just part of life on the internet and pretty easy to spot. I don't go to get something until I've talked to the seller on the phone. I never get something on CL or FBM shipped, know people that have and they got hosed.
    Some people today are just scared of everything. Just don't be stupid about it.

John Nicholas likes this.
  2. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Friend of Leo's

3. BobbyZ

4. Whatizitman

Idaknow. I'm gonna contact the email and ask, just to be sure.

5. BobbyZ

Good luck with that! Lol

It's like the very attractive younger lady that sent me a friend request on FB this morning. Says she's over in Grand Rapids, about 80 miles, the fall colors are great on that drive anyway. I'm sure she's real and wants a guy 20 years older.
    Already sent her my banking info.

6. Mouth

Mouth Tele-Afflicted

The name and number email address is usually a sign as well.

graham jessie5713@gmail.com

BobbyZ likes this.
  7. Whatizitman

Nice. I'll bet she's the type that digs a "man with a plan".

I get a bunch of emails all from different girls. They all call me by my email address, and all use the same messages and text. I'm a lucky guy. Weird that none of them have responded to me yet. But I know it's only a matter of time! They're just playing hard to get.

BobbyZ likes this.
  8. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

Yeah, this is good info you're providing. I stopped using Craigslist some time ago.....my problems were not so much scammers or spammers or whatever, but the "flakes" that may initially seem to be OK, but as things progress, you realize things are out of kilter.

9. Preacher

Preacher Friend of Leo's

Just wanted to give everyone a heads up that it is happening on FB marketplace as well. I have been shopping for a used truck and just recently saw one on FB that met my needs. I messaged the ad and then was sent a reply within a minute that said "More pics and details here: m72smth@gmail.com".

I am sure it is a fishing email which I will not be using.

stinkey, Marc Morfei and BobbyZ like this.
  10. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

My lady friends are a little further away. Lovely lasses from Russia are always wanting to be friends with me. I'm wise to them though, they must be pretty hard up for money, 'cause they ain't got nothin' but their underwear on in the pics they send me. I'm thinkin' it wouldn't be no time before they start hittin' me up for money to buy one of them fancy fur coats for the winter.

stinkey likes this.
  11. BobbyZ

Yeah FBM has them too. I'm always looking for a smoking deal on another Avion camper, for no good reason. Other day an Airstream pops up, really don't want one of those inferior tin cans but they were asking 2k for one I'd expect to see for 10k. I'm always up for making a few grand of the uninformed. :)
    It was a scam ad, just took looking at the ad to spot it.
    I was surprised to see a scam on something like that but with the world situation campers are selling pretty well. Gotta give the scammers credit for getting into different markets. :)

12. Mouth

Mouth Tele-Afflicted

Bear with me here.

If everyone spent a few minutes every day watching youtube videos of trolling scammers, maybe we could make the genre popular enough to occupy all the scammers with youtubers.

Basically pay for the service of occupying scammers by watching ads.

And maybe we could enlist all the trolls of the world to do some good.

They can get their trolling jollies and not be hated(maybe even loved).

I like win-wins.

BobbyZ likes this.
  13. BobbyZ

Before I built a 5e7 Bandmaster I tried a wanted ad on the Minneapolis CL. Thought maybe I'd snag a deal on an original. Ad said, "Wanted 5e7 tweed Bandmaster".
    EVERY response was from a 20 something super model looking gal in her underwear. All of which had Russian sounding names.
    Pretty much the same message. "I'm not really interested in the item you're selling, but reading your ad was most intriguing. I'd like to met you." Or something along those lines.

Unfortunately I was living with my girlfriend at the time and she really didn't want me running around with a bunch of other woman. Really sucked because several of the girls were twins and triplets! How else can you explain the fact they looked identical but had different names? :)

Toto'sDad likes this.
  14. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

I think what it is BobbyZ is that they are running short of genes in Russia, you know what with the reactors blowing up and stuff. Consequently, lots of the women look exactly alike, just have different names. Funny thing is, they all pick out the EXACT SAME UNDERWEAR!

Last edited: Sep 30, 2020
    BobbyZ likes this.
  15. marshman

marshman Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

The “name” at the top of the email bears no resemblance to the name in the attached email address, that always stands out to me.

tubegeek and BobbyZ like this.
  16. Marc Morfei

Marc Morfei Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Yep, that's it. I have bought and sold many dozens of things on CL and have never had a single bad experience. But it does take some common sense, patience, and a degree of wariness. As you say, after a reasonable email exchange that establishes someone as a real person, I almost always speak to a seller/buyer directly on the phone before agreeing to anything.

True CL story: Last summer I was selling a bed, a complete queen size bed. Mattress, box spring, frame. A guy emails me, etc, agrees to come and buy it. He knocks on the door, and I have the bed all broken down and ready inside the front door. We say our hellos, and I'm looking over his shoulder out to the driveway.
    "Where's your truck?" I say.
    "No, I don't have one," he says. "I took a bus, then walked the rest of the way."
    "What? You're here for the bed. How are you going to get it home?"
    "I was just gonna call an uber."
    "What? Uh, you may want to check on that, I'd be surprised if the uber driver will be able to load up and deliver this bed."
    "Really? Maybe I should call and find out."
    "Yep, sounds like a good idea."
    So the guy steps out onto the yard and starts dialing his phone. Next thing you know he's walking back in the direction he came from.

True story.

WalthamMoosical, tubegeek and BobbyZ like this.
  17. BobbyZ

What the heck @Marc Morfei don't Uber drivers have pickup trucks there?
    If we had Uber here they would. :)

18. tubegeek

tubegeek Friend of Leo's

People am dumb.

19. marshman

marshman Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

20. Hey_you

Hey_you Tele-Holic

I've been meaning to post this for "peace of mind" when surfing the net. Right click a blank area of a webpage. Select page info. You will find out if it is legit or no. Security tabs show your permissions allow and Website Identity

Untitled.png
    If you are like me, you'll find the Media tab useful. :rolleyes:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.