How to sneak a guitar under the wife’s radar

moosie

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
When I bought my first good guitar, my wife saw it and asked "how much". I lied and told her a new Gibson LP Std cost $1200, about half what I'd paid.

I said simply "Twelve".

She accepted that, with a bit of a wince. Later I realized she thought I meant $12000!

Well, hell. That certainly makes things easier.

MarkieMark

Friend of Leo's
My wife is quite bright.
She quickly learned how to sight down a neck and detect bow or twist, and that if it looks good just bring it on home to add to the collection.

No hiding needed.
We are well fed and well equipped. 😎😎

JL_LI

Poster Extraordinaire
Bring it in through the front door. Say something like, “I can’t believe I found this.” Then take her to the outlet mall on Saturday. Make a day of it. Why try to hide what she‘ll eventually find anyway.

ReverendRevolver

Friend of Leo's
My maternal grandfather taught my father how to sneak tools, guns, and guitars in, shortly after my parents married.
It involved staging it in the garage while the Mrs was out, transitioning it into plain sight, and saying how many years you've had it lying around.

Doesn't work for me. My wife will never notice a new black telecaster again, provided I keep them separated in the house (like seeing batman next to Bruce Wayne, it'd be obvious that one wasn't the original.. ) I'll just say I switched the pickgaurd around.

Other guitars, if they look like they're worth the $$, she's typically ok with (but given I'm where the money comes from, she doesn't complain much about "ugly " guitars anyway).

Pedals she sort of understands, provided they look and sound different than what she's aware I have, no questions.

But.

I get Interrigated like I'm sticking a fork in an outlet while licking a window naked when I mention what amp I'm buying next. It plainly makes no sense at all and only a recent head trauma could be to blame.

Don't you already have like 6?

It's probably around 9, but 4 sound similar and aren't worth much, so 6 is reasonable......

What's the point? They're all the same! All do the same thing!

They're all different and do louds,, you didn't notice things stopped falling off the wall when I switched to the small one?

I've basically gotten to the point where she is told to expect 1 guitar and 1 amp a year unless I blow budget on one or the other.

So I told my drummer that every amp I get can be snuck in, provided it looks like a 70s/80s Peavey combo with the aluminum stripes.

So, mace, duce, heritage, are all easy, butcher, vtx, delta blues, 5150 are no-go.
Anyone got a brownface pro rehoused in a tko 80 enclosure They're looking to get rid of?

sax4blues

Poster Extraordinaire
Use the Michael Corleone rules:
Is that a new guitar?
I told you never ask about my guitars.
Just this one time you can ask.
Is that a new guitar?
No
Oh Michael, I love you.

John Backlund

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
Safety in numbers...who counts trees in a forest?
IMG_20211218_123801870~2.jpg

Skyhook

Tele-Afflicted
I've got a musician friend who's also the gig-drummer in my band project.
When I visit him it's usually late in the evening and/or at night.
I usually carry at least some equipment like a guitar and/or a bag when I go and come from there.

Let's just say I might have swung by the post office before they closed on some of those nights...

Buckaroo65

Tele-Afflicted
Me and the missus were listening to Dwight Yoakam once… she says „What’s making that sound?“
„Oh, that’s a baritone guitar.“
I came home from work about a week later and there was a new Danelectro on the couch… I guess I married up…

dickey

Friend of Leo's
REAL men ain't afraid of their wives & do what the hell they want.
Of course, that's one reason why marriage is a fool's game nowadays.

Festofish

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
I am so glad I don’t have to deal with that anymore. Guilt trips are the worst. Best friends should encourage each other to responsibly pursue their hobbies…not discourage them.