How to sneak a guitar under the wife’s radar

northernguitar

Poster Extraordinaire
One day, I just decided I wasn’t going to lie about that stuff anymore. I’m an adult male. I work. I’ve ALWAYS worked. Why the hell am I pussyfooting around?
It started after a new couch and overstuffed chair showed up without my input. Then she got a new computer. I found out that there was “Our money”, and “Her money”. My money was automatically “Our money”. Hers was not. Screw that.
Yeah, that aint ever gonna work.

loopfinding

Friend of Leo's
Been there. I was pathetic.

Half the time, I wonder if these 'poor' husbands are buying an axe instead of paying down the mortgage or their kids tuition.

If matters are secure, and there's still a problem, it aint the need for another guitar.

Agreed. My mother was a “shopaholic” (in other words, gambling by other means) and put our family into some moderate but not unsubstantial debt over it. And that was just like, pier 1 imports and bed bath & beyond. Shudder to think about the boys with their toys that I often see.

Last edited:

Jared Purdy

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
I’m not suggesting anyone do this, I just thought it would be a fun excersize after I saw happyenchilada post. I’ll begin.

My wife says she doesn’t care if I get more guitars but I will get that sideways look anytime I bring new gear home. Once I may have bought an identical 70’s. Strat to replace my first guitar when I retired it and she may not have noticed since they look the same.

That's exactly what I did!! My wife bought me my first electric guitar for my 50th B-Day. That was twelve years ago. She was pestering me about doing something for the "big day", gift wise and a party. I was really of the opinion that I could care less. It was just another birthday. Not to her. So I piped up that I had a recurring dream for many, many years, that I was playing on a stage, in front of a large crowd, and I was playing Strat in three colour sunburst.

I have no idea why I had that dream. Up to that point, I had only played acoustic and harmonica. She asked me to go pick one out. I knew nothing about electric guitars aside from the brands. I headed to a local shop that I use to buy harps at, and they had one, an American Deluxe Strat, in three colour sunburst. I think it was about $1200CDN at the time. Like I said, I knew nothing about electric guitars.

Well, she bought it, and at first I couldn't be happier. It then developed a problem with the truss rod, so the neck had to be replaced. I then realized I just hated the tone of the noiseless pick ups. And the final straw was noticing that the body was put together with three very poorly matched pieces of wood.

I decided I would sell it, and replace it with another three colour sunburst, shooting below the radar. I found a gorgeous 2011 Custom Shop that became it's replacement. To the uninitiated, you wouldn't notice. To anyone else, the first thing you'd notice is the gorgeous bird's eye maple neck!!

The lesson in all of this, if you want to slip something in under the radar, make sure it looks the same, or so similar that she won't notice!!!

dreamingtele

Friend of Leo's
I dont.

I buy her something first. Usually something substantial. One time she said she needed a regular iPad for her work and leisure, i bought her the top of the line iPad pro.

Then in goes my new guitar. Lol

Plant a seed gentlemen.

Just kidding. I always ask if i can buy a guitar before buying, i dont lie on the cost either. I just make sure her stuff costs more than mine. Lol

northernguitar

Poster Extraordinaire
Agreed. My mother was a “shopaholic” (in other words, gambling by other means) and put our family into some moderate but not unsubstantial debt over it. And that was just like, pier 1 imports and bed bath & beyond. Shudder to think about the boys with their toys that I often see.
That's tough. Addiction comes in many forms.

Electric Warrior

Tele-Holic
I always show off my new acquisitions to my partner. Who else am I gonna tell, none of my other friends care about guitars! The cats? Plus it feels like a bad deal to be dishonest about it.

Now how much it cost? As another tdpri user once said, "the information is available on request." She does.

VWAmTele

Friend of Leo's
PSA to help some of you get your 'man card' back: (from an old post of mine)

This is how it's handled in my house:

Wife: Is that a new guitar?
Me: Don't ask me about my guitars.
Wife: Is it?
Me: (slamming the table) Don't ask me about my guitars!
Wife: is it? Is it a new guitar?
Me: Alright. This one time...this one time, I'll let you ask me about my Guitars.
Wife: Is it a new guitar?
Me: No.

Last edited:

Engine Swap

Friend of Leo's
Guitars are easy…

50541845688_b0cd29b6be_k.jpg

Found this at a screaming good deal. I told my wife: “I bought something big, but it’s not a boat” To my surprise, she thought it is super cool. Of course, house plant purchases went through the roof for about 3 months. We support each others vices.

Red Ryder

Tele-Afflicted
When my buddies ex-wife said something about his $7000 Les Paul he told her too shut the f up. He took a hit on the guitar to pay his lawyer.

Call Me Al

Tele-Meister
Guitars are easy…

50541845688_b0cd29b6be_k.jpg

Found this at a screaming good deal. I told my wife: “I bought something big, but it’s not a boat” To my surprise, she thought it is super cool. Of course, house plant purchases went through the roof for about 3 months. We support each others vices.
My wife actually wants to get a DB. It’s for her but of course I’ll enjoy it too. (I’m an electric bass player, and we used to own one before we moved cross country.) we’re in the process of looking for one atm.

But the best part is playing together, and I get to sharpen my guitar playing too. 👍

Call Me Al

Tele-Meister
It’s not sneaking it in, it’s sneaking the CC through. So i switched to cash ;)

We have a deal I can spend my gig earnings on any gear I like. But I’m kinda phasing out gigs, so we need a new deal. I burned through last summer’s earnings, but my latest guitar and amp were purchased with full transparency; she got her fair share of clothes and other goodies to match.

24 track

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
Mrs 24 knows every model of everything I own and at one point the vintage.......
I did have a friend carry in my brand new 78' strat and when he left and did not take it with him she clued in , how ever the only thing she said to me was "why do you have 22 guitars? ) and since then has never lifted an eye brow to the issue .