How to sneak a guitar under the wife’s radar

Masmus

Tele-Holic
I’m not suggesting anyone do this, I just thought it would be a fun excersize after I saw happyenchilada post. I’ll begin.

My wife says she doesn’t care if I get more guitars but I will get that sideways look anytime I bring new gear home. Once I may have bought an identical 70’s. Strat to replace my first guitar when I retired it and she may not have noticed since they look the same.

Killing Floor

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
Same. My wife doesn't really care. I'm a confessed pedal fiend and once in a while when the UPS driver leaves a little box she rolls her eyes.

But here's the deal, I have said this before.
I have 2 hooks on my wall and from each hook hangs a guitar or bass of some kind unless I am at that moment playing or at a gig or rehearsal. There are always 2 on the wall. I am particularly particular. I don't baby my instruments at all but I do always have a case or at least a very good gig bag. Cases are stacked in the closet or even under bed sometimes. With 2 always on the hooks there are always 2 empty cases in my house. An empty case could store a new guitar just the same as an old one. Following me? Just get a new one and keep it in a case for a while. Then one day she'll see you playing it and you can say "yeah, I've had this a while and forgot how much I like playing it".

billy logan

Tele-Holic
Sneak it in to your happy home in an official-looking box from behind Home Depot that says Vanity Full-Spectrum Dimmable LED Light Bar w/Plant Shelves.

Sneak it in? Yes, that makes it look like a surprise present. To avoid disappointing her you'll have to eventually install a VF-SDLEDLBw/PS.

If the guitar is in only fair condition cosmetically, all the better, you can try the "This old thing???" response.

If the guitar sounds better and she notices, then you better fess up. That would only be fair to the "fair cosmetic condition guitar" - to get some credit.

Don't anthropomorphize guitars. They hate that.

Greg70

Tele-Holic
Take an empty case out of the house and tell her you're going to the luthier for a setup. Bring home your new guitar in the empty case. Once it's in the house she won't even know the difference. Unless she's into guitars, they all look the same to her. My wife collects purses and literally gets a new one every two months or so. I have no idea how many she has or what they all look like. I just know that the pile keeps getting bigger.

stxrus

Poster Extraordinaire
No hiding nor sneaking here
Years ago I was grousing about the cost of a new underwater video camera housing. I didn’t need it but my old one was showing its age and a retrofit was about 1/3 the cost of a new one. She said basically I could have anything I could afford as long as it didn’t impact our situation.
If I want something, I can afford it and no hardship is involved then I get it…if I really want it

bgmacaw

Poster Extraordinaire
IMG_20200502_193506.jpg

SixStringSlinger

Poster Extraordinaire
Repeat after me: "Hey, at least it's not drugs."

Best applied early and regularly, and with the implication that it very well could be drugs

Peegoo

Doctor of Teleocity
Sneak it in and slide it under a bed. When she finds it, that's when you can safely get it out.

Me: "How do you like that new BC Rich?"

They: "Dunno. My wife hasn't found it yet."

tubedude

Tele-Afflicted
Silver Supporter
Take an empty case out of the house and tell her you're going to the luthier for a setup. Bring home your new guitar in the empty case. Once it's in the house she won't even know the difference. Unless she's into guitars, they all look the same to her. My wife collects purses and literally gets a new one every two months or so. I have no idea how many she has or what they all look like. I just know that the pile keeps getting bigger.
Those purses cost as much as a guitar. Ask me how I know.

rodger

Tele-Meister
Repeat after me: "Hey, at least it's not drugs."

Best applied early and regularly, and with the implication that it very well could be drugs
Years ago, I bought a Bourgeois dread and left the receipt on the kitchen table. My teenage daughter comes home, sees the receipt and says, "Did you buy another GUITAR!"

I reply, "At least it's not drugs!"

Daughter: "It would be cheaper!"

She may have had a point.

boxocrap

Tele-Afflicted
I’m not suggesting anyone do this, I just thought it would be a fun excersize after I saw happyenchilada post. I’ll begin.

My wife says she doesn’t care if I get more guitars but I will get that sideways look anytime I bring new gear home. Once I may have bought an identical 70’s. Strat to replace my first guitar when I retired it and she may not have noticed since they look the same.

How to sneak a guitar under the wife’s radar..hmmm..stuff it down your pants..spill a little water on the front of you and tell her you just couldn't hold it any longer..take it to your studio and hide it​

Gardo

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
You guys are playing it all wrong. Don’t sneak it past her , get her on board.
I was browsing guitars online and.explained that I’m not buying one but just for fun , if I ever did which color do you like. She looked them over and made a choice. I said “ Wow , you’re right . That really does look good doesn’t it”. She said well if you really like it so much why don’t you go ahead and order it. Click