How to Sell 1973 Telecaster?

Discussion in 'Vintage Tele Discussion Forum (pre-1974)' started by DaveLR, Mar 31, 2019.

1. agogetr

agogetr Tele-Meister

you can date it close enough by the pots. dont rip the neck off thats a mistake its been on there forever. if the buyer insists on gutting the guitar make him pay you first. if the guy has to rip the neck off to buy the guitar he doesnt know what he is looking at in the first place. find a real musician who wants the mojo of an intact killer guitar
    ps. that paint looks a bit thick you take the chance of chipping around the neck pocket if the neck is removed (for no real reason). my 2 cents

Last edited: Apr 7, 2019
    2 Headed Goat and Skamania like this.
  2. 63telemaster

63telemaster Tele-Meister

I have the same dilemma of where to advertise my '63 tele. I don't want to go Ebay or Reverb route and CL is not really a thing in the UK.

Might it be worth you talking to some reputable dealers for advice or maybe a sale/commission agreement? That would avoid the tyre kickers and at least give you a good idea of what to ask should you go for private sale.

3. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's

What? Take it to Gruhn and one of the first things they’ll do is pull the neck off. They know what they’re doing and know what it takes to authenticate.

nojazzhere likes this.
  4. agogetr

agogetr Tele-Meister

they will re sweat all your solder joints if you pay them too. george already knows the date by a year or so by features/specs. the shop goes through the motions for the paying customer. its a shame. i heard they get $275 for a complete authentication? how could they charge that if they arent ripping the guitar apart?

5. agogetr

agogetr Tele-Meister

yes. me too. almost every decent sized town now has a local guy that will buy vintage gear for a decent price. i cant count the gear i have bought from craigslist, and had some competition doing so. a lot of high end estate guitars dont get listed on craigslist because folks are told they wont get a strong buyer. untrue. i missed a 59 es 345 last week i went to buy their boogie amp and an old sound city cab.they told me they didnt think they would find a buyer on craigslist and they had taken it straight to a dealer and got burned.
    they should have gotten me and the dealer in a bidding war. i would have gotten it under retail. and they would have been 8k richer. a win win. i,m going in a couple days to try to buy it from the dealer she sold it too. so... dont rule out craigslist!

Skamania likes this.
  6. CCK1

CCK1 Tele-Meister

Wow! Beautiful guitar, I'd suggest Reverb as well. I know I'm old, but it wasn't too long ago that the 70's Fenders were not highly regarded, and the prices reflected that. During that time period, as now, there were outstanding examples, and also some that just didn't have "it". I've got a 1972, and a 1976 Stratocaster, both great guitars.

7. jkingma

jkingma Super Moderator Staff Member

Admin Post
    I just sold my '73 a couple months ago. It looked to be in about the same condition as yours. It was all original except it had a newer (early 80's) Fender tweed case.

I took mine to a reputable guitar store and sold it on consignment. I had to pay a commission, but then I didn't have to deal with all the craigslist or ebay crap. And I didn't have strangers coming to my house or have to worry about shipping it.

They posted it on their website and social media sites and it sold fairly quick. Even though they got a slice of the pie I still ended up with the amount I wanted for it.

8. Blrfl

Blrfl Tele-Holic

They can charge whatever they want; nobody's forced to pay it. They've either priced it high enough so their shop isn't clogged up with people who want authentications only or, as s I tell people who balk at my hourly rate, you're not paying for the time, you're paying for the experience.

nojazzhere and Skamania like this.
  9. PJ55

PJ55 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Send some photos to George Gruhn at Gruhn Guitars (www.guitars.com) and get an appraisal on what it's worth. I have a 1970, so I know roughly what's its worth. But, its definitely worth more to a collector, IMO.

Attached Files:

• th.jpeg
      th.jpeg
      File size:
      24.9 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2019
  10. DaveLR

DaveLR TDPRI Member

nojazzhere and Skamania like this.
  11. Teleguy61

Teleguy61 Friend of Leo's

You will never get close to the value of this guitar from Craig's List.

nojazzhere likes this.
  12. Robert H.

Robert H. Friend of Leo's

Not my experience. It took a while, but I sold my ‘62 Brown-face Bandmaster for my price - $2K.

13. Teleguy61

Teleguy61 Friend of Leo's

I'm glad it worked for you.

14. DaveLR

DaveLR TDPRI Member

OK, I did bring it to a shop and here is a picture of the neck stamp, and another one of the body.

Under the neck, on the body is a stamp with a name and some hand writing. I didn't get a pic of that, but I think the name was Steven or Stephen ___ don't recall the last name ... does that stamp/name mean anything to you folks?

bod.jpg neck.jpg

15. Rockbreaker

Rockbreaker Tele-Holic

By the way, I was reading your description on Reverb, if you had one or both pick ups rewound, I don't think you can call it "100% original"

16. DaveLR

DaveLR TDPRI Member

I had disclosed the re-wound, but cleared up the 100% wording.

17. DaveLR

DaveLR TDPRI Member

Here are some more pics ... on the body under the neck is a name stamped Keith S----R (a few posts up I mis-remembered it as Stephen :). Do any of you know who that is or what any of the hand written markings mean? THANKS

IMG_20190727_110015352.jpg

IMG_20190727_110150130.jpg IMG_20190727_110722698.jpg IMG_20190727_110727689.jpg

18. KevinB

KevinB Doctor of Teleocity

That neck code just means:

3 - Telecaster
    MAR73 - Built in March of 1973
    B - Standard nut width of 1 5/8"

The stamped name was the builder/assembler - there were many of them.

I've never seen a description of the handwritten markings. They are typically highly variable.

Take a close look at the pots. The first 3 digits are the manufacturers code (137=CTS, 304=Stackpole, etc.) and the last four are YY for year, and WW for week of the year. As long as the pots are original the guitar can't be any older than the latest pot code.

19. driprail

driprail TDPRI Member

2019 Vintage Guitar Price Guide says a Blonde 1973 Telecaster has a price range of $2,900 to $3,800. If you are around the SF Bay area, I'd be happy to inspect it.

If the pickups were re-wound with orginal laquered wire of the correct gauge, there would be a small hit. If they were replaced with modern (Seymour Duncan) pickups, it would be a big hit. Likewise, if the body was refinished.

Send me a message if you'd like to trade or sell it!

Agree with others that

20. LJGood

LJGood TDPRI Member

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.