How To Repair A Sealed Tuner

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by GroovePuppy, Mar 12, 2012.

1. GroovePuppy

GroovePuppy TDPRI Member

OK, so the repair is easy but getting the puppy open is the trick. My MIJ had four loose tuners where the string post had noticeable play when pulled in and out. The trick I used was to remove the tuner from the guitar, leave the threaded barrel off, hold it by the string post, and shake it lightly side to side so that the body rotates slightly back and forth. You're basically wiggling the screw back out with gravity helping.

I tried a bunch of different methods but taking a loose tuner and doing this had the thing apart in 5 minutes. Do it while watching TV and it won't seem so boring. You don't need the string post all the way out. Once you have 5 or 6 mm of play you can push the cap off the back with it. It pushes off easily so if it's not working keep wiggling.

The string post has a shoulder on it so you need to back the screw out of the end of it enough so that it reaches the cap. Here's what the tuner looks like in a nice exploded view.

[​IMG]

Watch for the plastic washer that sits on the shoulder of the worm screw. Sometimes it gets left in the housing. No big deal but don't lose it. There should be three washers total for the worm screw; one on the shoulder, and two under the bit you grab on to when tuning.

When reassembling, put some threadlock on that gear screw. You don't want to see it again.

[​IMG]

Make sure you put plenty grease in there. Don't overdo it but keep it lubed. The grease I used is blue which helps with cooling. (Or did I just make that up? :D)

[​IMG]

Just press the cap back in. You'll get one shot at this so if you're anal like me about the text lining up take your time.

As I said I had 4 loose out of 6. The ones that weren't loose would come apart. I guess they don't need to though. I put those at the farthest end of the peghead so that the string tree will create a break angle that won't tend to pull them out.

YMMV but it worked for me. Hope this helps! :D

wayloncash and 1955 like this.
  2. telex76

telex76 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

More patience than I have.

3. GroovePuppy

GroovePuppy TDPRI Member

I could have replaced then for $20 or so but I want to keep the guitar as stock as possible. Had I figured out the technique right away (like I just gave to you) I could have done all four in an hour. Hater. :p

wayloncash likes this.
  4. Akash

Akash NEW MEMBER!

Hey GroovePuppy, just signed in to thank you, if you ever read this.

If guys there have no patience to wiggle the loosened tuner for hours, here's my tip : put a small Allen key in the stringhole, by its longest side. Then put 1 cm of the key into a drill, lock it, a start it slowly (or not), letting the tuner hanging. The octogonal shape will rattle the tuner, and for me, it took less than a minute to fall, as it was already nearly dismounted.

5. toddytownsend

toddytownsend NEW MEMBER!

i have some pretty hard to find velve tune b II tuners for my '83 ibanez bass i needed to rebuild and/or fix.
    (i know this is a tele forum but this works for most sealed tuners)
    ....so...i super glued a nail to the back and pulled. came right off. then acetone removed the glue residue.
    made them an easy fix.
    i hope this helps someone in need of repairing vintage tuners rather than being forced to replace. View attachment 375386 IMG_0364.JPG IMG_0365.JPG

oldfish and xafinity like this.
  6. Potsy

Potsy NEW MEMBER!

Just wanted to add a vote of thanks! I have a lovely old Greco thinline and someone put crappy gohto tuners on it. I came across some correct tuners in terrible condition, and now I know I can service them, even get the part re-chromed if I get carried away. Champion! It's easy to find forum advice about how you can't pull these things apart and how you'll break them and how it's not worth the effort anyway, so this thread is a breath of fresh air. It's going to be really nice to have the correct tuners on the old guitar. greco tuners.JPG

Last edited: Aug 14, 2017
  7. Potsy

Potsy NEW MEMBER!

Last edited: Aug 14, 2017
  8. MrCairo46

MrCairo46 Friend of Leo's

Blue thread lock may make it play cooler, but red makes you play faster.
    Just sayin'.......

nicholaspaul likes this.
  9. telephone

telephone NEW MEMBER!

Just did the trick in the OP. Saved a set of expensive tuners sitting in my parts drawer. Took less than 5 minutes to rattle the screw loose enough to push the cap off. Thanks!

10. Darnit

Darnit NEW MEMBER!

11. Darnit

Darnit NEW MEMBER!

"Once you have 5 or 6 mm of play you can push the cap off the back with it. It pushes off easily so if it's not working keep wiggling.

The string post has a shoulder on it so you need to back the screw out of the end of it enough so that it reaches the cap."

SO ..I'm confused about these two instructs. They seem to be at odds. How would I back the screw off to push the cap when I haven't gotten the cap off yet? I can't make this work so far and I have been trying on a couple of different Grover machines (60's / 80's vintage) no joy so far. Thanks - you wouldn't have a YouTube woodja?

12. ebb soul

ebb soul Poster Extraordinaire

Yeah. I know. My answer for everything. 42594_pipe_wrench.jpg

bender66 likes this.
  13. tslantz

tslantz TDPRI Member

Thanks so much for this thread. I didn't read more than a few words. But I had a Grover I got suspiciously cheap on eBay (hrmm? though now I know the insides look legit at least) fall apart on me this morning. I almost had all the pieces and I was pondering "how does that round big cap come off the end?". Then I started to think: wait - maybe no one in their right mind does this. As I scrolled through and saw all these pictures and thought "hey, I'm not crazy!", I shoved a mini screwdriver in there and popped the cap off sending the gear and screw flying under the couch (now recovered). Victory! Thank you again. I both can fix my tuner and I know I'm not crazy.

Edit: I think one too many of my washers is plastic. Which makes me even more suspicious as to the legitness of these tuners. Hmmm....

Last edited: Jun 24, 2019
  14. vanr

vanr Tele-Afflicted

I'd have thrown those in the trash and put some Hipshot locking tuners on and still had time to watch Andy Griffith.

15. tslantz

tslantz TDPRI Member

But they look so real! And they're for a kit V I screwed up pretty bad anyway =)

16. tslantz

tslantz TDPRI Member

My favorite eBay win: some EMGs that I knew were too good to be true. That were delivered from overseas wrapped in a broken styrofoam food tray. That still had plenty of sauce on it. Sometimes you buy it just to see what's going to show up! :D

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.