1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

How to remove the scratches from the neck plate?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by tesla005, Jan 1, 2020.

1. tesla005

tesla005 TDPRI Member

Hello everyone and happy new year. I just bought a new strat, the "The Edge" signature strat, since it sounded to me better than any other non custom shop guitar. Unfortunately, I wanted to remove some stickers from the neck plate and, because I wasn't thinking, I used a scotch scrub sponge. This left some scratches on it and, although it's not easily visible, I would like to do something to make it shine again. Is it possible to rub it with a fine sand paper and then apply chrome polish to it?

2. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Abrasives are what created the problem, don't use anything abrasive on chrome! Even fine grit sandpaper is going to do little more than knock the shine off of it. Stick with a chrome polish or other metal polish, and leave it at that.

coloradojeff, nojazzhere and Toadtele like this.
  3. tesla005

tesla005 TDPRI Member

Will a chrome polish fix it completely? Also, is it possible to contact fender and have them send me a replacement neck plate, because I can't find the one I have anywhere.

4. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

You cannot fix it.
    Nothing will level the chrome around the scratches down to the depth of the bottom of the scratches.
    I think the best thing you could do is get a little perspective.
    Minute scratches on a plate on the back of a guitar...
    Just play the thing.

5. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Get a new plate if it really bugs you, otherwise congrats, play it in good health :)

coloradojeff likes this.
  6. tesla005

tesla005 TDPRI Member

The problem is that I can't find this particular plate anywhere. And fender doesn't sell it as a replacement part.

7. notmyusualuserid

notmyusualuserid Friend of Leo's

8. Frodebro

They may not sell it over the counter as a replacement part, but an authorized repair facility might be able to get one. If it really, really bothers you, you can take it to a company that specializes in chrome plating and have it stripped and re-plated.

9. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Honestly it’s just a ‘live and learn’ thing, but polishing it with the proper compound at the buffing wheel (removed from the guitar) is the cheapest way to go. You won’t get the deep scratches, as noted, but it’s worth a shot.

nojazzhere likes this.
  10. Frodebro

11. mfguitar

mfguitar Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Chrome does have some thickness, it is possible to buff out depending on your scratches. Scotch pads are pretty coarse though. If you know you can get a new one then it may be worth a shot, chrome is very hard though. Maybe a polishing compound followed by a good metal polish.

12. tesla005

tesla005 TDPRI Member

Yes I'm pretty sure it's the same.

Frodebro likes this.
  13. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Friend of Leo's

Nothing will truly fix "real" scratches in a chrome plating. You need to have it stripped and re-plated, or just buy a replacement. Is it a neck plate that is unique to the Edge model (like the Jimmy Page, Wayne Kramer, etc.)? If so, I would drop it off to have it stripped and replated. If not, finding a replacement should be fairly easy.

All that being said, it's on the back of the guitar anyhow, so it isn't that important to fix...especially if you won't be selling the guitar any time soon.

14. Old Deaf Roadie

Old Deaf Roadie Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Hit it with some Maguire's scratch remover, then some Maguire's swirl remover on a foam disc mounted on a drill motor. Read & follow the directions on the bottles, and be patient. You likely will not get 100% removal of the scratches, but you won't have to replace the plate.

15. tesla005

tesla005 TDPRI Member

I just want to know whether I can replate it in the future if I ever decide to sell the guitar and how much will it cost.

16. zeke54

zeke54 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Is it the plate with the offset/ slanted screw configuration ? If so , I've seen them on Ebay for about $20 . They make them with and w/o the " Corona California " imprint . Oh , and to remove those stickers get some of the citrus based " Goo Gone" stuff . Works great on metal , but I don't know about wood finishes .

17. rolandson

rolandson Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

If living with it is unthinkable, aside from reevaluating priorities... "3M Finesse It", a soft cloth, and a lot of time.

Yeah...no. Definitely not.

The stuff will destroy the finish should it come in contact.

Naphthalene...aka Lighter Fluid. Won't harm the finish.

18. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I restored antique motorcycle for a living for many years and am no stranger to chrome plating, although I have been out of it and haven't had anything played for about 12 years.
    Prices were getting very high because of what platers had to go through due to the toxicity of their business.
    That and polishing are the 2 main expenses.
    Polishing is tedious, skilled hand work and good polishers are scarce and expensive.
    Your item would have to be stripped, then polished and buffed with a number of abrasive wheels until it looks like it has already been chromed. This removes material. If you have a serial # or anything stamped into the plate, it is unlikely that it will ever look the same.
    How different it looks depends on the polisher.
    Last I knew, a neck plate would probably cost $40-50 to triple plate (copper, nickel, chrome); I bet it would be 75 now.

19. tesla005

tesla005 TDPRI Member

I asked Fender and they confirmed that the neckplate of my strat and the am elite strat is the same. So I can replace it easily.

20. Turtleneck

Turtleneck Tele-Meister

I personally think you should forget about it and play the guitar. It now has some "history" and soul.

I hate perfect guitars.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.