How to remove polish shine from a Nitro finish?

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by Digiplay, Oct 23, 2019.

1. Digiplay

Digiplay Tele-Meister

Hi everyone,

My best friend/guitar player has a Tele with a Nitro finish, and he has been using MusicNomad The Guitar One on it, but it has made the finish shiny.

Is there a safe way to remove the shine, and again I emphasize safely :)

Thanks!

2. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Friend of Leo's

I am unclear on what you are talking about.

He doesn't want it shiny...yet he used a polish/wax on it.

Was this a matte finish originally?

rolandson likes this.
  3. rolandson

rolandson Tele-Meister

Stop using whatever is making it shine.
    Wipe with a damp cloth...water only.

I'd normally suggest a gentle wipe with naphthalene but there is no telling how that might react with whatever that stuff is. I doubt there's an inconspicuous spot to test it on.

4. Digiplay

Digiplay Tele-Meister

1) The reviews/site info said it was safe for nitro, so that's why he used it.
    2) I'm not sure if it was matte, but it was less shiny before he put the Guitar One on it :)

5. PigBoy

PigBoy Tele-Meister

Belt sander.

6. jrblue

jrblue Tele-Afflicted

Tell your friend to open a dictionary to the word "polish." I'm not sure what degree of gloss you actually want, so I can give no suggestions. Different grades of micromesh, used correctly, can give you a luster rather than a hard, glinty shine, but you can mess up your finish fast if you don't know how to accomplish this. Other degrees of gloss, luster, semi-gloss, and matte surfaces are usually attainable. Which do you want? And tell your friend to cut it out with the polishing.

7. Digiplay

Digiplay Tele-Meister

For arguments sake, let's say he used another non-abrasive polish such as Meguiar's Mirror Glaze.

My question is how do you remove it?

Perhaps I/he needs to call MusicNomad and ask them how one removes their product safely from a nitro finish :)

8. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Friend of Leo's

In other words, the Guitar One did what it was supposed to do.

All he has to do is play the thing, and give it time...and don't polish it again if he doesn't want it shiny.

This is one of the craziest inquiries I've ever read in my over 20 years on Internet forums. "Help! Help! Something did what it was supposed to do!"

9. Deeve

Deeve Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

congrats - this is the cheerful post I'm ending my day with.

won't be surprised if Mrs Deeve hears me chuckling in my sleep.
    thx - D

10. Alter

Alter Tele-Meister

Is there anything safe for vintage style nitro finishes? I used a Gibson pump polish that the fu@&&#- fu@-#& company wrote on the cover "safe for all finishes" (and in the back with small letters "poly and others", no nitro mentioned), sprayed a tiny bit on a guitar cloth, and it took color right off my guitar.. :(

telemnemonics likes this.
  11. Peegoo

Peegoo Tele-Holic

The best way to de-gloss a nitro finish is 0000 steel wool, used very gently, working under a bright light to monitor your progress (watch the reflection of the light in the finish as you work).

12. Digiplay

Digiplay Tele-Meister

I mentioned what you said to him, and his response was that he had searched the internet for a way to keep a nitro finish clean, and many sites (including this one, btw) recommended Dunlop, Guitar One, Gibson and Virtuoso as all great choices.

He then went to MusicNomad, read again that Guitar One was safe for nitro finishes, and as Paul Harvey used to say, "And now you know................ the rest of the story".

To conclude, and I always try to look at both sides objectively, he has a valid point in saying that GuitarNomad does not need to recommend that Guitar One be used on nitro finishes unless one want to make their nitro finish shiny :)

Regardless, thanks to all!
    Jerry

telemnemonics likes this.
  13. EsquireBoy

EsquireBoy Tele-Holic

+1
    Play the thing without wiping it again and it will return to its original appearance in no time.

57fenderstrat and 41144 like this.
  14. reckless toboggan

reckless toboggan Tele-Meister

[​IMG]

Skydog1010 likes this.
  15. Mad Kiwi

Mad Kiwi Friend of Leo's

For God's sake dont use ANY form of abrasive to remove a polish!!!

Why would anyone recommend that!!! ?

A de waxer, degreaser even dish soap in warm water on a cloth (damp) should help remove it.

As mentioned, make sure on the back or obscure place it is okay first. But water and dish soap should be pretty mild.

slick4772 likes this.
  16. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

You could dull it down with micromesh wet sanding. People freak out over minor blems or sanding finishes but you can dull them down and polish them back up with micromesh and different polishes as long as there is enough finish on there to not sand through. The chances of sanding through with fine grade micromesh is extremely minimal.

I'd feel more confident in using micromesh than applying random chemicals and goop on there. I would start with using warm soapy water to clean it up first.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2019
  17. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

let's see some photos.... and the kwazy KiWi is absolutely right. . . . For God's sake don't use ANY form of abrasive to remove a polish!!!

r

18. ale.istotle

ale.istotle Tele-Meister

I checked Music Nomad's site but no info on contents or composition. I have seen other references to Music Nomad's polish having 'microscopic compounds' which is vague, but if it means fine abrasive like car compound then the finish may be actually polished rather that covered with a wax or silicone that masks fine imperfections. If so you may not be able to dull it by removing waxes/silicone. May need to either live with it or re-dull it. From the other posts dulling a finish seems controversial.

As others have recommended, start with the mildest approach and see what that gets you. Then reassess. Damp cloth, then maybe damp cloth with mild detergent, then maybe warm damp cloth. Many sites say naptha is a safe solvent for nitro but some report haziness after using it.

Anyway, if you try your cleaning options and it's still too glossy your friend needs to consider his risk tolerance before going to any micro abrasives or coarse polishing compounds.

19. Smylight

Smylight TDPRI Member

This thread sounds like a recommendation for MusicNomad's One polish, doesn’t it? ;-)

My two cents : I've been using MN One on for a few years on every guitar before it leaves the shop, unless it has a satin finish, which the company clearly warns against. They have a dedicated cleaner/protector for satin finishes called Detailer that is equally effective but keeps the satin finish as dull as it should be.

In my experience (I used up at least 4 large bottles of One and 2 of the Detailer products, they are doing an extremely good job when used for their intended purpose. Highly recommended.

As an aside, their Guitar Polish and Guitar Wax are just as great on poly and downright awesome on nitro. Give 'em a try.

Just choose the right stuff for the right finish.

Pierre

AAT65 likes this.
  20. Skydog1010

Skydog1010 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Just use it. Your post - I don't totally understand.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.