How to Raise the Nut for Slide...?

Discussion in 'Acoustic Heaven' started by Fatschlamp, Jan 10, 2016.

1. Fatschlamp

Fatschlamp Tele-Meister

Hi there - I have a Seagull acoustic which is set up for finger style; the action is lowish and not really suitable for bottleneck.

I have heard that it is common practice to place a strip of veneer or wood under the nut.

If so, can I knock out my nut - which is currently glued in place - in order to place a strip of wood underneath?

And will having a loose nut affect the tuning?

Also, what are other, quick ways of raising acoustic action for slide - I tried a nut extension last week, but that is for lap steel really as opposed to bottleneck, and allows no fretting once it is placed over the original nut.

Cheers

2. Mike Simpson

Mike Simpson Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I would not raise the nut unless you are going to play lap style only.

If you want to raise it up a little you could use a taller bridge saddle.

3. Tony Done

Tony Done Friend of Leo's

If you want to play lap style you would normally raise the nut or use a conversion capo to avoid damaging the frets. If you plan on playing Spanish position, you could raise the saddle, not the nut, the amount depending on how light your touch is and the kind of bottleneck you use.

4. Fatschlamp

Fatschlamp Tele-Meister

Okay, thanks for that - I was knocked out by the simple technology of the extension nut; but it's obviously not what I want.

I've been searching elsewhere as I posted this and read that it is simple as placing a match under the saddle, a credit card strip...!

I think I'll be looking for a taller replacement saddle.

5. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

I've used one of these. Non-invasive and easily reversible, but you can't really play non-slide as long as you have it on.

[​IMG]

6. P Thought

P Thought Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Thang. Where'd you get that?

7. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

Can't remember where I bought mine (it was decades ago) but this pic is from Stewart-McDonald.

8. jefrs

jefrs Doctor of Teleocity

On an acoustic you can usually knock the nut free by smiting it from the fret side. The nut does not really need to be glued in but seems to be common practice. Your raised nut may want to flip out unless fixed with a couple of dots of glue

You can also raise an acoustics's saddle the same way

Veneer is good but so are strips of hard plastic, I've seen negative roll film used.

9. tele_pathic

tele_pathic Friend of Leo's

It's a Grover Perfect Nut height extender. I just bought one a few days ago, but I haven't put it on yet.

10. Tony Done

A conversion capo is one convenient option if you want to play lap style and Spanish position,. This is mine:

[​IMG]

Since the pic was taken I have replaced the bamboo skewer with a piece of plastic knitting needle. :)

The 2nd fret is a good place to use it, maybe with a sticker on the 14th fret if the dots cause confusion, but it can also be used to change key. It could also be used pushed hard against the nut for open strings, but that would involve detuning and retuning. The fact that it is in slightly the wrong place shouldn't matter too much, sine the frets are only indicators anyway.

11. Fatschlamp

Fatschlamp Tele-Meister

That is such a good idea...cheers.

12. Tony Done

^^^^ I wish I could claim I thought of it. :D The capo is just an ordinary Planet Waves NS.

A bonus is that it puts very little extra strain on the neck, whereas I worry about the possible torquing effect of a nut raiser.

13. tomasino

tomasino Tele-Meister

+1
    Totally agree.

If just for playing slide, only make the changes at the bridge.
    And go for a flatter string profile across the bottom 4 strings (less radius).

14. cnlbb

cnlbb Tele-Afflicted

Exactly. So long as you keep it in a rather slack tuning with light gauge strings there isn't likely going to be an issue. But it's lap style, so you want to go high gauge/high tension...

15. LKB3rd

LKB3rd Friend of Leo's

If you end up removing the nut, reglue it with a tiny dab of Elmer's glue. It really only needs to keep it from falling out when the strings are off or sliding back and forth, and the weakish glue allows it to pop off easily in the future if necessary.

16. King Creole

King Creole Friend of Leo's

In the past I've raised my action slightly for slide by tapping off the nut, putting a sliver from a business card under it and putting it back. It raised the action just enough to keep from knocking the frets, but I could still fret notes with intonation good enough for my rough tastes. When you put the nut back on with the shim under it, you can put a tiny dot of wood glue or elmer's glue on the nut to keep it in place during string changes, but I didn't. I was worried that the cardstock would be too hard to remove if it got glue on it (though it probably wouldn't be too hard to scrape it off with a razor blade).

17. brogh

brogh Assistant Admin Staff Member

for temporary things you can always use a pencil :

[​IMG]

cheers

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.