How to play like this? I don't know, can it be taught?

Discussion in 'Tab, Tips, Theory and Technique' started by ASATKat, Mar 26, 2019.

1. magicfingers99

magicfingers99 Friend of Leo's

it all about desire, if you want to do it. you have to do it, over and over until you get it right. Frank Zappa taught the mothers 4 bars at a time, new songs every day when they were working a steady gig in nyc. nobody but frank could read music and they nailed some complex stuff.

its work, but if you love it, you do it. But you have to want to do it and you have to try to do it, don't overthink. Just jump in and learn

ASATKat and the embezzler like this.
  2. boneyguy

boneyguy Doctor of Teleocity

He's a very 'playful' player and I really admire that fearless spirit......not many people can set their ego aside and play with that level carefreeness....of course when you have his technical abilities that's a huge safety net....but still....it's breathtaking at times!!

ASATKat likes this.
  3. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Yeah I'm pretty sure one or two of my attempts at humor here have been called trolling by one or two members...

Maybe we're supposed to add an emoji to jokes so that everybody gets it and nobody gets confused.

I assume that's what those things are for?

4. ASATKat

ASATKat Friend of Leo's

In the old days people just "got it" without the need for props. Like when someone sees Julian and comments they give up, and then follow that with "I'm going to throw my guitar in the river",,, would you take that literally? Or maybe Julian just blew his mind and that's the kind of stuff blown minds say.

I also know how to transcribe and learn the bits I like, I may do that, just some of those wicked out lines. But seriously I do that less than I used to, and in this case I wouldn't spend much time because I couldn't play it at tempo. At 65 I've tried my whole life and I've found that beyond a short lick from any part of his solo here, I couldn't sustain that level, it's just not "me" and the hot lick would be out of place in my style. But I'm very happy to say I have found my voice on guitar, and I'm fine with it, it sure isn't Julian but then, Julian isn't me either lol, another bad attempt at humor =)

Last edited: Mar 28, 2019
    telemnemonics likes this.
  5. Luthier Vandros

Luthier Vandros Tele-Holic

Def entertaining, but that style is fatiguing to my lizard brain. I imagine that's the sound computers from the 1950's would make as they conversed among themselves.

Part of what I love about watching musicians perform, now that I've been at it some time, is the communication and playfulness between the bandmates.

6. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

WRT getting it, I'm not sure if my brain is going soft, or maybe just kids these days...

We've had a couple of pretty epic 1000 post threads on in all seriousness, topics like "Boss Katana kills tube amp industry", and "you can't play rock on a Telecaster".
    Must be related to the predictions of boomers dying off?

Your post #44 was a real eye opener.
    Oh for such opportunities!
    Seems he had some fine gifts plus some epic teachers and influences.

7. stantheman

stantheman Doctor of Teleocity

Being semi-retired I play most mornings but not all the time, I find that brief respites away from music seem to be a factor in my own advancement, sometimes it's tough to stop but I find it helps me.
    I've got a few music books but nothing that'll hurt me. Actually my library would impress a non-reader as this is also a passion. I'm actually shopping for two new 3 shelf bookcases to put on the bench in my study. I hope to find some at Sally's or a local Flea Market.

8. ASATKat

ASATKat Friend of Leo's

Well, the Katana IS pretty impressive,,,
    But thanks to Julian, a Champ is mighty impressive too.

telemnemonics likes this.
  9. ASATKat

ASATKat Friend of Leo's

But I prefer Julian with a bit bigger amp.

And dare I say it? The Gretch sounds great, not better than the Nacho, just another great sounding guitar.

10. telex76

telex76 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

That's one of those things where I can appreciate the talent, but never want to hear it again.

11. Lynxtrap

Lynxtrap Tele-Holic

I had never heard of Julian Lage until last week in some YT video about Champs.
    "The Windup" is a fun song. I just happen to have version of it recorded at a club a couple of years ago, so I thought why not...

ASATKat and the embezzler like this.
  12. D_W_PGH

D_W_PGH Friend of Leo's

Not so much you couldn't - if it was a singular focus of yours, you could. And perhaps his mind is constantly tied up with this such that it is a singular focus.

We sort of do what we want in life in the long term. Maybe things happen in the short term.

I'm not as old as you, but I'm at the point where I want to have an open slate for what I'm going to learn, and not torture myself to play a lick that someone else plays naturally and enjoys repeating. Except in the case where it seems to be sensible and fit what I want to do, and come to me without it being like studying for an essay test.

The "throw away the guitar" meme is about as exciting as the now new version "see, i'm a simple man. I see a video with julian lage in it, I click it".

I realize all of us are about 1% originality and 99% monkey see monkey do, but youtube used to be lots more of the originality. Speaking of, I need to tell youtube "no" more in my picklist on the right every time I see a video about someone "reacting" to another video.

13. Larry F

Larry F Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

He seems very concerned with communicating. You can hear it in the question-answering effect of sequencing a pattern down by a step. For me, that is the biggest takeaway if I were interested in learning to play like this.

On the downside, it feels to me like the solos don't change moods very much. This is just my preference sometimes.

14. slowpinky

slowpinky Tele-Afflicted

Beautiful playing. I dont think Julian will be codified any time soon. He's not typical of the legion of modern jazz guitar players from the last 10 years or so - many of whom have become quite timbrally amorphous to my ears.

Even in this performance you can see him constantly varying tone for effect and always searching for a sound.When/if he finds that core - we might see the "Lage-phones" emerge.

15. DougM

DougM Friend of Leo's

All this kind of stuff to me is just like the Dead meandering on forever. It might sound good if you're really stoned, otherwise not so much.

16. ASATKat

ASATKat Friend of Leo's

It's too bad, from my perspective, that you don't hear the beauty in his playing, or the Dead's.

slowpinky likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.