1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

How to make my Nocaster Twangier

Discussion in 'Fender Custom Shop Tele Forum' started by 51telecaster, Jul 14, 2016.

1. 51telecaster

51telecaster TDPRI Member

Hey everyone. I was just wondering how to make my nocaster twangier. Right now my Tele has a sound that is somewhat thin sounding, it sounds a lot like Danny Gatton's tone which is great but I'm going for a more buttery twangy sound ala Brad Paisley, Brent Mason. So how should I go about improving my Tele?

2. Rod Parsons

Rod Parsons Friend of Leo's

Try raising your pickup in tiny increments, listening between each increment.... And adjusting the amp is important..... If that doesn't do it, call or email Rob, at 'Cavalier Pickups' and explain what sound you are going for, [Brad, Brent], and he will suggest one of his great selections, that he winds himself... And his prices are very friendly for a 'real, hand made', vintage Tele pickup. Check out his web sight.... Rob is a TDPRI member and many of us have his pickups... and love them..

3. bchaffin72

bchaffin72 Friend of Leo's

And some of us, who don't have his pickups, were still inspired by his work and input here to build our own..........:D

But yeah, play around with the pickup height in increments and your amp settings. Often it's a matter finding the sweet spot. The pickups might have the sounds you want and you just haven't found them yet. Trial and error...........

4. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

Thin sound usually = pickups too low, especially the bridge pickup so make that three suggesting you raise them. Bill Lawrence has always suggested a method for his Keystones and others that will work just as well on Nocasters.

Capo or press down the high E string at the last fret. Slide one nickel between the top of the pickup and the bottom of the E string and adjust the pickup height until the nickel touches the string. Now move to the low E string side and do the same but with two nickels stacked on top of one another.

That's your starting point and then you can use your ears (still the best measuring device available) to fine tune from there. Once that's finished you can balance the neck pickup with the bridge any way you like. Some like it 50/50 other prefer a little louder neck pick while I prefer a little louder bridge pickup. It's up to you and your ears as to what's works best for you.

badfish_lewis likes this.
  5. bchaffin72

That's a good starting point, gets you in the ballpark. And it works for many, just like that. I can only speak for myself, but the pickup I built for my nocaster tribute wanted some fine tuning after the nickels. The bass side was a bit mushy and the treble strings overpowering. I had to raise the bass side bit and drop the treble side. Every pickup is a bit different, which is where the fine-tuning comes in, if needed.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2016
  6. soulman969

That's why I added that suggestion to my post as well.;)

What you say is fact. Every pickup is a little different from another and every guitar is different so the only thing I ever truly trust to find a "sweet spot" are my ears and in the final analysis 51telecaster has to do the same.

7. bchaffin72

Well, you were just so right I couldn't help but say it again................:)

soulman969 likes this.
  8. soulman969

LOL.........touche'. :)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.