How to learn loads of stuff?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Moxoftritonytes, Oct 4, 2013.

1. Moxoftritonytes

Moxoftritonytes TDPRI Member

I`m heading towards an occupational redeployment which will last two years and probably start in spring next year. The problem is that I`m out of learning theoretical stuff since end of 2002. And now the occupational redeployment includes a lot of human anatomy that goes into depth. The heart anatomy alone is about 300 (yikes!) pages of a huge book. And I`ll have to learn the anatomy of the whole body and only got two years time to do so. Beneath anatomy there are a bunch of other subjects where I have to learn a lot. I want to become a podiatrist, so I have to work my way through it all. But how? I cannot make scripts of it all for it is way too much. Just reading it a couple of times seems to be not enough for me to memorize it all.
    So I thought that I read it out aloud and record my voice on the computer at the same time. This I hope might help me memorize it all better. I then can listen to the stuff I have to learn via mp3-player whenever it is possible. I`m thinking of getting a dictaphone that is working with sd cards, so I can use several cards as a storage medium and am more mobile.
    What do you guys think of this way to learn? Is it a good one or are there better methods?

Greetings,
    Moxoftritonytes

2. J-man

J-man Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Admin Post
    I find reading things out loud is a great way NOT to take them in.

YMMV.

3. Ricky D.

Ricky D. Doctor of Teleocity

Take it in small segments or sub-groups. Learn each element's name and function, then make a sketch. Take an element connected to the first one, repeat the process. Your sketches get larger and larger until you complete a sub-group. You are also reviewing previously learned material, which is all to the good.

It's like grains of sand on the beach right now, an infinite mass of highly detailed information. Do not dwell on the sheer quantity of it all, just go group by group. once you see that incremental progress, it will become easier.

4. GigsbyBoyUK

GigsbyBoyUK Friend of Leo's

Everyone learns in a different way. Try a few things and see what works for you.

When studying text book material I tend to do this, in this order:

1. Read a chunk of material, maybe a page or two.
    2. Run a highlighter pen across the main info in the book, and/or make notes in the margins.
    3. Make my own rough notes, sometimes as a mind map and sometimes in a more traditional linear way.
    4. Turn my notes into a short article (on a PC) that summarises the main points.

As my aim is to properly write up the subject in my own words I have to keep reading and learning until that's possible. The other benefit is that if I have to write a paper or assignment at some point I will have a bank of short articles as a good starting point.

Like I said, people learn differently and I guess my method works for me because I am a writer. Other people I know do like to read out loud, discuss, record etc. Others prefer to find videos or pictures, or draw their own pictures.

5. LKB3rd

LKB3rd Friend of Leo's

YouTube

Just kidding :p .... sort of
    Good Luck :)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.