how to kill karaoke

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by ndcaster, Mar 20, 2021.

1. Ironwolf

Ironwolf Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

The only thing that will work and is probably the easiest solution, will be to get your city council to outlaw karaoke in the city limits. It should be relatively easy if you can organize enough musicians. Council members are notoriously cheap and easy to bribe.

Newbcaster likes this.
  2. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

Locally, they've had the situation ingeniously figured out for years.

A very talented band hosts a night every week in which drunk people can get up and sing to a selection from the book, with a real-to-goodness great band backing them.

(The band is The Gomers, they've been a local institution for decades, and it's called "ROCKSTAR GOMEROKE")

Of course, this is all pre-pan

https://beeftone.wixsite.com/thegomers/gomeroke

Newbcaster likes this.
  3. Larry F

Larry F Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

I've seen a clip where the singer Jewel (sp?) was made up to look like someone else. Then did Karaoke to one of her hits. The premise is funnier than the outcome.

SRHmusic likes this.
  4. 1955

1955 Doctor of Teleocity

ACA9F3BF-0EBF-4C6E-8700-8E76469AE0BA.jpeg

rocksmoot likes this.
  5. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Friend of Leo's

Agreed. Whatever it is - spectacular execution, uber-original compelling material, thrilling stage presence - whatever it is, its got to be entertaining, and hold attention. And, I think there's an impressionable age bracket that matters, shared by the listeners and the performers.

1955, aging_rocker and blowtorch like this.
  6. StrangerNY

StrangerNY Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

There are a ton of karaoke bands in my metro area. I was in three of them, and I know of 4 or 5 more. And pre-pandemic, they were all working steadily.

- D

M2roadwarrior and blowtorch like this.
  7. 985plowboy

985plowboy Friend of Leo's

A best man who understood his role perfectly. You chose well.

Jim622 and LutherBurger like this.
  8. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

I've got mixed feelings on karaoke. I don't like it much, but one of my girls is a karaoke DJ. (if that's what you call them?)
    Needless to say her business hasn't been good the last year. Actually when to hell prior to that because of copyright right police. They killed any live music around here a couple of years ago, wanting little joints to pay around $1,500 a year. Most of these place only do music of any kind a few times a year.
    So my daughter packed up the PA and went back to L.A. a little over a year ago. . . . .

9. LutherBurger

LutherBurger Poster Extraordinaire

So true. He also surprised us all with a cooler full of barbecue to heat up and serve.

985plowboy and ndcaster like this.
  10. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Poster Extraordinaire

Reba McEntire did this on Young Sheldon recently. It takes real talent to sing this bad on purpose.

11. ndcaster

ndcaster Doctor of Teleocity

huge issue

how is this handled in other countries?

are these fees something the NEA can pay? no, scratch that, that's a boondoggle in the making

maybe city budgets can pay?

BobbyZ likes this.
  12. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

No idea how other countries do it. Crazy thing is my daughter pays her part of the copyright when she gets the backing tracks.

I find it hard to believe the "copyright police" would take the time to find a bar like my friends own. A little place in the middle of NOWHERE !
    Most of the places around here are like that.

13. SRHmusic

SRHmusic Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

It's a bounty system, right? Not sure exactly how it works, but I imagine it attracts a number of people looking to make some money on the side. Places around here that don't want to pay insist on originals only, e.g. for open mic nights and small festivals.

BobbyZ likes this.
  14. Downeast

Downeast TDPRI Member

Married to a Filipina, so karaoke is a part of life for me :D

15. aging_rocker

aging_rocker Friend of Leo's

One of my kids works in a bar where they have kareoke one night a week.
    He likens the noise produced by the mainly female 'singers' to 'cats being nailed to a blackboard'...

16. Bedder18

Bedder18 Tele-Meister

I hated karaoke/ videoke until I spent some time in the Philippines. They’re obsessed with it. Every holiday or celebration requires karaoke. Drunk uncles singing terribly off key, older sibling belting out the classics of yesteryear, and then the young kids rock the mic and do their best version of a current hit. After a while I began to see the beauty in it. You see, they don’t really think the “right” to sing is exclusive to the talented. They understand the therapeutic benefits of expression through song. I began to appreciate it in a way I never did before. These are people who realllllly love to sing, and maybe some are better than others, but who are we to judge ? I just go with the flow of it, now...and I keep earplugs nearby. :)

17. LutherBurger

LutherBurger Poster Extraordinaire

Lumpia too, I hope. :)

Manual Slim, Downeast and Bedder18 like this.
  18. scooteraz

scooteraz Friend of Leo's

Obviously, you never watched American Bandstand. I remember every time Dick Clark went around to the kids and asked what they thought of a new piece, the standard answer was “It had a good beat and we can dance to it...”. Never, “I liked the chord structure, progression”. Or “The lyrics were really meaningful to me.” So, not a recent problem.

As recently as two years ago, I frequented a bar in central Illinois that had a team Trivial Pursuits night, a Karaoke night and one or two live music nights (usually Friday and Saturday). That place was a money making machine as all of those nights were well attended. They also had a Dart League night. As @StrangerNY said, the coolest thing would be a karaoke live band situation. But, that requires floor space, and if you watch Bar Rescue, unless the band is bringing in more money than a table at that location, not the use of space for the owner to make money.

StrangerNY likes this.
  19. 1955

1955 Doctor of Teleocity

You have to give up everything else and become obsessed at levels others only dream of.

It takes everything you have and you become it’s servant.

You will be at times a walking shell of a person on the cusp of insanity, all for the small amount of time onstage, in homes, offices, hospitals, bars, funerals, weddings, parking lots, garages, birthday parties, nursing homes, moose lodges, storms, schools, mud, snow, sand, museums, government functions, restaurants, rain, balconies, churches, windows, elk lodges, car dealerships, fundraisers, pools, clubhouses, amphitheaters, fairgrounds, stadiums, basements, movie theatres, Masonic temples, pavilions, bonfires, hay bales, atriums, banks, car shows, etc. making people forget about their troubles.

There is no compromise regarding your waking hours. You have to be creative beyond what is thought possible.

The wheels can never stop turning and you must jealousy guard every step forward. You must be able to handle rejection that would cripple a normal person.

You have to invent new ways of doing everything, always meticulously becoming more efficient, discerning, deliberate, flexible.

You have to find that which has not been discovered. Your interpersonal skills must be off the charts. Leave any ego you might have at the door, you will be humbled every day. You will be zeroed out many times and have to sell what you held onto the tightest.

You must beg, claw, weep, run, and fight for what you feel you deserve. You have to plug your ears to friends and family who have been sold doubt, lies, and defeat their whole life.

You must exhaust every possibility, every twinkling opportunity. You must be willing to stretch, to do everything that is uncomfortable. You must die a thousand deaths in front of many people over and over.

If I told you all that I have had to do when I was making a living playing music, you would not believe me. I had to, I had no choice, because I decided that is what I was going to do, and that was that.

What I did was find places to play that nobody was playing. Sometimes I’d drive around and walk into strange places unannounced and just start playing and singing with an acoustic. You have to be daring and you must take huge risks.

There are always opportunities and all it takes is hard work and imagination over time.

The next frontier is multimedia and technology. Learn it, and do it in a way that solves a problem, creates value, and has not been done before.

Most of all, you must believe you can do it.

For those who are serious about finding a way where there is none, folks like Jakedog will tell you, be careful what you wish for and you better be ready to step up and find the middle of the curtains.

You are always live.

ndcaster and James Knox like this.
  20. Bedder18

Bedder18 Tele-Meister

I hope he’s enjoying adobo.
    I know I am!

Downeast likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.