how to kill karaoke

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by ndcaster, Mar 20, 2021.

1. ndcaster

ndcaster Doctor of Teleocity

serious question

before the covid/reset, local live music was in life support in most places because to a venue, it was too costly for all kinds of reasons

jukebox, cd's, and digital radio was a cheaper and less hassling option

still, drunk people making fools of themselves was a viable source of profit, so we have karaoke, which is egged on by tv shows

I know things change, but I'd also like for this world to carve out space for actual living and social musicians

David Byrne says everything basically depends on cheap rent

is that it? there are no successful economic models out there?

2. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Poster Extraordinaire

Byrne forgot cheap gasoline.

That’s all I got.

3. Addnine

Addnine Tele-Holic

"What is commonest, cheapest, nearest, easiest, is Me..."

- Walt Whitman

Cheap rent is good. Cheap guitars rule. Enjoy that Twinkie. Buy your tools at Harbor Freight.

Not kidding.

4. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

Societal changes too. The x gen the y gen and disposable income. What new dances have come about due to a new song. Who dances. What generation goes out to listen. Hard to use your smart phone when band is playing. lol. Just thoughts. Psycho demographics is not my thing.

53Strat, Tonetele and howardlo like this.
  5. LutherBurger

LutherBurger Poster Extraordinaire

Somebody brought a karaoke machine to my wedding rehearsal dinner after-party and set it up on a fireplace mantle. After the first song my Best Man said, "My turn," and used the mic cable to pull the machine off the mantle, sending it crashing to the floor and rendering it inoperable. He made it look like an accident.

[Oops -- it's "mantel", not "mantle". :oops:]

Last edited: Mar 20, 2021
  6. ndcaster

this is solid information

7. Newbcaster

Newbcaster Tele-Holic

Hey guys. Don't get me wrong. A guy like me with 3.5 ish octaves...I would love to front a band.

Not much stage presence though and I'm a bit shy in some ways.

Karaoke allows an outlet for a guy like me who doesn't play guitar or piano well enough to do the one man band thing. Sure I onky get to sing 2 songs a night but...

Who doesn't love Dont stop Believing and Fat Bottomed Girls?

Anyways. I host karaoke and can make good side hustle money doing it.

So anyways. Thats my 2 cents. If I could sing in a band that would be great.

But until then.

Joshiquad, Rustbucket and Manual Slim like this.
  8. Rockinvet

Rockinvet Tele-Afflicted

I never hated anything more than karaoke. Can’t stand listening to bad singing all evening.

1955, 53Strat, kingofdogs1950 and 4 others like this.
  9. beyer160

beyer160 Friend of Leo's

In a similar vein, I know online news is all the rage these days but I wonder if we can make room for the comeback of the Town Crier.

Give it up, guys. Musicians playing actual music for entertainment is SO "last century". Maybe we can set up live music venues as "living history centers"?

10. scook

scook Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Oddly enough, under our current situation it’s an activity not allowed in Virginia where as there is some leeway for live music, especially outdoors.

With that being said, some of it is basic economics, it’s one of few things that brings a crowd in mid week and relatively cheap for the venue.

I think Newbcaster touched on another aspect of it, anyone can get up there and do it, have their five minutes of fame.

There are certain venues that will always have live music and will probably never have karaoke. I can’t really see the wineries around here ever having karaoke but do have live music on a consistent basis.

11. Old Deaf Roadie

Old Deaf Roadie Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I can't help you with shyness, but there are ways to remove the audience from the equation without removing the audience from the room. Some examples include hiding. Not behind an object, but in plain sight. A wide brim hat or ball cap pulled low to shadow the eyes is one trick, with or without sunglasses.
    Another is to blind yourself with a light fixture such as an ellipsoidal spot or a par can.
    Or, come up with a gimmick that involves costumes. Don't laugh, people do it. Ever see a tribute band?
    Myself, personally, I developed an alter ego which goes out & plays the gig. It includes a Scandinavian take on a stage name (Richardsson, because I am Richard's son), and a hat. Problem is, Richardsson has an issue with bellying up to the mic without a couple drinks in him, and his symbian host won't do it at all.

scook and Newbcaster like this.
  12. That Cal Webway

That Cal Webway Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I will take "drunk people making a fool of themselves" anyday over drunk people listening feet away to too loud bands.

13. swervinbob

swervinbob Tele-Afflicted

I’ve been to karaoke nights at bars that were pretty fun. People would drink and have fun and if they were good, they got cheered, and if they messed up, everybody laughed and had a good time.

And then I’ve been to places where it was almost like everyone was thinking they were going to get signed or something. Guys were wearing wild cowboy shirts and starched wranglers trying to sing note for note with the country artists of the day. Everyone was real serious. One place I was at like that, a guy got drunk and tried to sing a song he hardly knew and was messing up. I thought it was funny and so did him and his friends. He was kicked out when he finished. Can’t be having fun when a guy that thinks he’s the next Garth Brooks is up next.

M2roadwarrior and LutherBurger like this.
  14. LutherBurger

LutherBurger Poster Extraordinaire

That's a tough room.

M2roadwarrior and String Tree like this.
  15. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Poster Extraordinaire

How a bar owner sees karaoke.

"If I hire a live cover band, it costs me $400+ every time. And, they all play the same old tired songs, usually badly and too loudly. Then there are the times they no show me because somebody's baby sitter didn't show up or some other lame excuse."

"An originals band? Nope! Nobody except the band's 4 friends show up. Everybody else leaves. Truth is, most of them really stink and have worse egos than the cover bands."

"Karaoke? Now there's a business model. Instead of me paying hundreds for a bunch of lame jerks, people pay me to get drunk and make a fool of themselves. I've got a sound system already so what else do I need and how much does it cost? Hmm, that's less than what I pay for a month's worth of weekend warrior bands. I'm in!"

16. ndcaster

exactly, which is why karaoke wins

so for it to lose, what has to occur?

17. Newbcaster

Newbcaster Tele-Holic

This. Absolutely this. Especially when some guy comes in singing Journey, Queen, Lou Gramm and their current karaoke host blows. i have great sound ranging from JBL and EV for bars to bose for the old folks who like to talk and have ambient noise karaoke.

18. teletail

teletail Friend of Leo's

A good sustainable business model for a club is not cheap to get going and it takes discipline. We used to have a local club that hired good bands and paid them well. The place was always jumping because everybody knew the band would be good without knowing who they were. Then they decided to go to a "play for the door" approach. The bands with a good following wouldn't play there because they charged $300 for "production" which left them with the bad bands. Now you only go if you know who the band is because half the time (or more) the band sucks. They often need to have three of four bands playing and bringing their friends to get enough people to make any money. And of course the bands don't make anything after taking $300 off the top for sound/lights and splitting the remainder 3 or 4 ways.

A great way to ruin a club.

DougM and scook like this.
  19. StrangerNY

StrangerNY Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

How about live karaoke? With a real band?

I did it for 7 years, packed club every single week, made some pretty good money.

This is my old crew, with a special guest.

- D

M2roadwarrior, 1955, Fluddman and 2 others like this.
  20. kennl

kennl Tele-Afflicted

The secret to the Karaoke business model is that it packs the seats of the venue with wannabe performers, performers, and performers' significant others.
    All who spend $$$ on food and drink, while waiting for their favorites to perform. Then it becomes a "regular" event on a specific night of the week.
    Patrons return to the venue where they share a social experience - not specifically related to music, but promoted by it.
    They have a setting where they can play the roles of performer, groupie, or music critic.
    And the venue owner has near zero cost and risk.

M2roadwarrior and uriah1 like this.
  21. scottser

scottser Friend of Leo's

So what you're suggesting is a full back line on stage and folks get up to jam to backing tracks with their chosen instrument/s removed. Jamaoke, if you will?
    Yeh, I'd go..

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.