How to: Installing a firebird pickup in a humbucker route?

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by saintgerty, Oct 29, 2014.

1. saintgerty

saintgerty TDPRI Member

Well hello, i foolishly routed my tele for humbucker, a widerange one with which i have grown dissatisfied. My new love is the firebird pickup. However, they are different sizes. How would i go about installing one? Do i need an adjustment ring, or will i have to remake the humbucker route? And has anyone stumbled on any firebird (style) pickups in a humbucker size?

Your help is much appreciated...
    Thankyou

2. mindwave

mindwave Tele-Meister

3. JohnS

JohnS Friend of Leo's

WD Products make Tele pickguards cut for a firebird pup. Just click the linky above.

4. SPUDCASTER

SPUDCASTER Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I recently ordered a Tele pickguard cut out for a Firebird from Warmoth.

5. PJ55

PJ55 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

You absolutely don't need a trim ring for a humbucker in a Tele. The pickups mount nicely to the guard. Using one, just reduces the clearance area in the picking are that's nice to have for picking. I have a couple of neck hummer Teles, some full-size, another a mini. Both mount fine to the rear of the pickguard with typical humbucker springs and long screws. These can be purchased at just about any parts shop or eBay guitar parts merchant, on-line. But, this is just how I approach it. And the same as the now discontinued Fender Hot-Rod Tele. Warmoth offers various pickguard hole-cuts for mini - humbuckers, including the Firebird dimensioned pickup type.

HPIM0299.jpg

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.