How to install neck pickup without pickguard screws?

Ray Whitley

TDPRI Member
Dear Fellow Telecaster Aficionados,

I'm working on my Broadcaster Tribute partscaster and I reached the point where I need to install the pickups. As you all know, the old first Blackguards had no screws in the pickguard, so you had to drill in the neck pickup into the wood itself. If there's anyone here who've done this before, may you explain how you did it? I have an idea in my head, but I'm curious how the experts such as all of you do it. Do you have to put Styrofoam or anything underneath the pickup to make its underside stay flush (parallel) to the body?

Thank you all so much! If there's any YouTube videos out there, please send, because I couldn't seem to find any. I'll keep looking though!
there are springs on the screws between pickup and wood under it. might be tricky locating where to put screws. i'd use a pickguard with existing holes to find and mark location...

trev333

Telefied
Ad Free Member
if you are using a 22 fret neck with overhang, a PG mounted pu is probably better ... it's harder to get the pg off....

with a 21 fret neck the guard comes straight up and off.... so a body mounted pickup is easy to access.

Dismalhead

Poster Extraordinaire
I've done both in the wood and in the pickguard. I like the look of both too.

You just screw them into the wood man, with something foam or rubbery to push upwards.

Telebra

Tele-Meister
I've done both in the wood and in the pickguard. I like the look of both too.

You just screw them into the wood man, with something foam or rubbery to push upwards.

Do NOT use holes in the pickguard. Try to keep it looking as authentic as possible. I like to use a bit of foam from my girlfriend's padded bra. It is the right consistency and if she complains about cutting up her unmentionables, just say, 'but Honey, you don't need any extra padding, you're built perfect'
Send pics please....of the guitar......ok,ok, your girlfriend too

Dismalhead

Poster Extraordinaire
Do NOT use holes in the pickguard. Try to keep it looking as authentic as possible. I like to use a bit of foam from my girlfriend's padded bra. It is the right consistency and if she complains about cutting up her unmentionables, just say, 'but Honey, you don't need any extra padding, you're built perfect'
Send pics please....of the guitar......ok,ok, your girlfriend too
Here it is, my pickguard mounted neck pickup.
NjUYBDh.jpg

Tele-Meister

Tele-Meister
Thank you everyone, I drilled the holes, I was successful! The only thing now is that the pickup kind of sits a bit crooked in the cavity, it's tilting slightly towards the headstock. Details, details, I know! But hey if it can be perfected, I'll try to do so if I can do it without damaging what I already have. Any suggestions to counter this tilting? I have some putty (plasticine) under there, but I don't think I put enough of it. What I might do is put a foam block underneath, and through trial and error, cut it until the perfect "levelness" is reached by the pickup!