How to half-ass it into the Olympics

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by drf64, Feb 19, 2018.

1. bender66

bender66 Poster Extraordinaire

Reminds me of the man & woman that sauntered into that White House soiree uninvited like they belonged there. They rode a good 15 minutes out of it & she went on to marry Neal Schon on a pay per view. I don't know if that's heaven or hell though. Sounds like the latter.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michaele_Salahi

2. jimd

jimd Friend of Leo's

There are thousands upon thousands of athlete's like Lonn's daughter who bust their butt and dream of a shot at the Olympics. For someone to bend the rules so severely is really outrageous.

Most sports have minimum qualifying standards that you must meet. I know for example, there is a qualifying time for the marathon. If you don't have that time you don't go even if you are the best your country has to offer. This guarantees that anyone competing in the Olympics is at least competitive. I guess with something like half-pipe where it is judged, it is harder to do.

I don't have a problem with some countries athletes just not being very good. The qualifying standards take care of most of it. But, part of what make the Olympics special is competing for your country, and some countries are stronger than others in a sport. The host country for example gets extra spots, even though they may not be that good in a particular sport.

I guess it is the brazenness of switching countries and gaming the system to qualify while still really sucking that really annoys me.

Lonn, enjoy Lake Placid. It is a really cool town. I was continually amazed by the fact that little town actually hosted an Olympics. The speed skating track was right outside the high school and is now their running track.

3. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Oh, no big deal.

15 minutes should be the limit, however.

4. mscmkr

mscmkr TDPRI Member

There is this kind of s**t in the Olympics...
    And then there's Ledecka...
    Those who haven't seen her performance, do.

5. Sconnie

Sconnie Tele-Afflicted

...Hey guys, my name's Thumper and I'm gonna be your super cool ski instructor today!

...I'm starting to think this whole town smells like doo-doo...

That episode, and show, is chalk full of quotables!

6. Area51

Area51 Tele-Holic

What does the Olympics have anything to do with the rest of your comments? The NFL for instance is rife with everything you just said.

As someone who has raced bikes at an elite amateur level, pre pro's allowed, the whole drug culture in EVERY sport really bothers me. But I suppose it's no difference than corruption in politics. Where's there's money and power......

7. Area51

Area51 Tele-Holic

In general the actual individual sport federations run the events. The way it works, and TV does a lousy job of explaining this, is most these athletes (well, that could be debatable) don't get past the qualifying rounds. Whereas, the top athletes snooze their way through.

So, in events like World Championships and the Olympics, the the countries with the top athletes get to bring more of them. The athletes themselves earn points at events. For example, if Austrian skiers have the highest overall rankings in alpine skiing World Cup races, they bring more athletes, than say Mexico. Usually significantly more. That doesn't necessarily preclude Mexico from getting spots and bringing athletes.

The caveat in most sports is they still have to make if through qualifying rounds. In these cases we rarely get a glimpse of them (unless they're from the USA, or put your countries name there!).

For me,the Olympics can really drag on while they show all the athletes who really aren't in the running. Particularly if you are actually into a sport and know who the top contenders are and realize what's going on.

8. Lonn

Lonn Friend of Leo's

jimd, we love Lake Placid, this will be our third trip there. Wish we could at least stay a couple of days. They actually held the Olympics there twice, 1980 and 1932. We really like the Olympic Training Center on Colorado Springs as well, that's a great place in the summertime.

9. bender66

bender66 Poster Extraordinaire

All sports are rife with people that circumvent the rules, & people take exception to this woman? This woman offends?Pretty funny everyone is ready to fire up the branding iron when you can't swing a cat & not hit someone at any Olympics & sports that isn't questionable. That's the point I was trying to make. It deserves to be mocked. All sports do.

I also raced at an Elite amateur level in the States up until '14. Did some big domestic races here (that a certain dbag won previous to admitting his guilt), even qualified for Olympic trials based on my pt standings one year (doesn't mean squat really). I would have loved to just to say I did, but didn't even bother going because I knew it would have just been throwing money away for the very reason you mention. I already knew who would most likely "win" the automatic spot. At least the questionable rider I preferred to win won.

Area51 likes this.
  10. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Years ago, when I lived in Ithaca NY, on the Finger Lakes, I had a girlfriend from Plattsburgh NY who had been CONCEIVED under the Lake Placid ski jump. I guess her parents (who were in high school at the time) must have liked Lake Placid, too.

11. Lonn

Lonn Friend of Leo's

Beats any story I have. :p

drf64 likes this.
  12. kidmeatball

kidmeatball Tele-Meister

Eddie the Eagle was a hero in '88. Didn't stand a chance, but he showed up and competed. Same with the Jamaican bobsleigh team. Kind of a joke, but a really great underdog story. These guys really wanted to compete, and did just that. This girl is really no different. She found a way to get to the olympics. Good for her.

13. drf64

drf64 Poster Extraordinaire

Eddie jumped. She sort of caught air for a half second.

mfromb likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.