How to half-ass it into the Olympics

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by drf64, Feb 19, 2018.

1. stratofortress

stratofortress Tele-Afflicted

Taking it easy my ass...

2. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

l
    Summer Olympics are no better they allow professional golfers to compete, it's just another tournament for them. They will pick up big time endorsement money if the place well, it's just something for them to have a good time in the sun, make some money one way or another and get drunk if the chose to. Which, hmm, I wouldn't mind any of that and I don't even drink.

Obsessed likes this.
  3. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

Yup. Don't forget tennis and basketball.:rolleyes::(

Toto'sDad likes this.
  4. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

At least at the Winter Olympics, I think of hockey as being separate from the rest of the Olympics. There's no going back to amateur athletes, however.

5. Wrong-Note Rod

Wrong-Note Rod Poster Extraordinaire

yup, she can get together with Tanya Harding now.

6. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

No, it was probably the losses from 1964 to 1994. In those 9 Olympics, the Soviets won 7 times with their so-called amateurs. The Swedes managed a win in 1994, but that was after the Soviet Union broke up into separate nations and their whole program kind of fell apart.

The first year with NHL players was 1998, and neither Canada nor the USA finished with a medal.

Obsessed likes this.
  7. Milspec

Milspec Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

It is very difficult to start every game...very true, but Cal was featured as a starter many times for only one inning (sometimes even less) just to protect the streak. I also give him credit for doing his research on hitters and positioning himself well, but the man had the range of a light pole and that is intentional to avoid errors. Just look at the stats across the league, the greater the range, the greater the number of errors. Cal never tried to make a tough play in his career. His offensive power was impressive as a SS, but the rest was highly over-rated.

8. elihu

elihu Poster Extraordinaire

Uh, I never mentioned Mr. Ripkin. I was wondering about Ms. Swaney's motivation.

Reading is fundamental.

9. Fret Wilkes

Fret Wilkes Friend of Leo's

Coach always told us "If you wanna succeed in this game you gotta be HUNGARY!" She's just following accepted sports wisdom.

10. SURF

SURF Tele-Holic

It was Zen.

11. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

bender66 and SURF like this.
  12. SURF

SURF Tele-Holic

YES!

13. Lonn

Lonn Friend of Leo's

My daughter could be one of those country swappers. She's currently 15th in the USA at Rhythmic Gymnastics, we send 1 girl and an alternate to the Olympics. That's it. She won't be that girl. She has a genuine chance to make Team USA (top 8 girls) but that's it. There are a ton of countries that would be happy to give her citizenship to represent them in the Olympics. I can tell you of some country came calling it would be tough to say no. The difference with her and the woman in the OP is that she's obviously very good. She's busted her ass for 7 years all while maintaining a straight A+ GPA at the top schools we can afford to send her to. I could have paid cash for a new car every year the last 4-5 years with all the money we've spent traveling, paying for private lessons with current and former Olympians all over the world on top of her normal gym fees. I don't begrudge those that do it. We're actually headed to the Lake Placid Olympic Training Center this weekend for a Senior Elite meet. A 14 hour drive, be there about 22 hours for the meet, then 14 hours home. On a side note I'm not one to ask for autographs and I don't get starstruck but Eric Heiden will be there and I'm hoping for a pic with him. The man is a legend!

stratofortress, Milspec and tery like this.
  14. deadicated

deadicated Tele-Holic

Sorry grabbed the wrong quote and didn't proofread .

elihu likes this.
  15. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Phooey.

Every moment a jokester contestant is out there, takes away from some potential Olympian somehow, somewhere. Resources are not infinite. Having Hungarian grandparents should, with 2 dollars, get you a cup of coffee and not much more. Every time the games look like a farce, some child some where throws his skis down in disgust. I'm trying to imagine some Olympian somewhere, having been injured in competition and in pain, trying not to feel seriously disrespected.

"Loopholes" stink and every living lawyer has been stung, been disparaged that such things exist. Stop the loopholes and let criticism of laws and the people trying to enforce them, be based on merit. And not be gratuitous.

knopflerfan and drf64 like this.
  16. mfromb

mfromb TDPRI Member

It's official, America: The Olympics has fallen victim to the culture of 'participation awards'! Hurray for "progress"! /facepalm

As for the narcissist on skis:
    Representing another nation than your own/native country is, unfortunately, all too commonplace in modern olympics. So, the opportunity for potential exploitation of the loophole by an otherwise-unworthy athlete is ripe for the picking.

Honestly, I think most of the blame falls to the Olympic Committee of the nation being represented, if they permitted a farcical representation to take place. THEY should be vetting their representatives and they should have taken her inability/unwillingness (most probably, inability) to put forward a serious athletic, competitive skill set into the half pipe qualification events (which she loopholed her way through, apparently), which then resulted in her armchair athlete representation of them in the Olympics.

So, while her (I assume) narcissistic endeavor led he to the world stage, the country she represented was the clear enabler for said endeavor. Shame on both of them, but (imo) more shame for the represented nation for not seeing this for what it was or, worse, seeing it and standing by to watch and enable it. Weird.

There used to be a ski jumper from the UK, Eddie Edwards -- clearly not cream of the crop of the sport, a rank and untrained amateur, but if I recollect he was a legit representative of the nation, had a loyal, heartfelt following in his nation, and won everyone over with his intensity and pure heart as he competed as best he could... and, he did, indeed, compete his way to the games and in them (i.e., he would actually jump, and did his best to make the most of his attempts). THAT, I think most everyone can get behind. This story, by comparison, is NOT one too many people would rally support for.

Rustbucket likes this.
  17. shinigami747

shinigami747 Tele-Holic

Smart move.
    Excellent positioning.
    Brilliant strategy.

But...
    Just because you can doesn't mean you should.

18. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

The truth of the matter is if you play any sport professionally no amateur can compete with you. Bobby Jones was a notable exception but I don't believe it can or will ever happen again.

Obsessed likes this.
  19. boris bubbanov

Yeah, but for more and more people, there's no such thing as bad news. So long as they're in the spotlight, they can be losing their fortune and be well on the way to going to prison, but so long as you are getting the kind of attention you maybe craved when you were seven years of age, you will be pleased. Why, should people begin looking elsewhere for someone to grace the headlines, your life is just about over.

knopflerfan likes this.
  20. boris bubbanov

Nice counterpoint with the Eddie Edwards story. Seems like provision for him was why the rule was crafted in the first place.

Does anyone know, could Hungary have de-certified this contestant had they chosen to? Do they have the power to black ball a person like this? Assuming they ever wanted to?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.