How to go about getting a sponsorship deal from Fender?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by shakingpapermusic, Jul 15, 2017.

1. shakingpapermusic

shakingpapermusic TDPRI Member

I'm in a fairly successful rock and roll band based in the PacificNorthWest. We're currently on an independent label and in the last few months we've managed to garner offers for sponsorship from some smaller guitar makers, string companies, Drum techs etc - it's all very exciting! As of now I have turned down all offers that we have been given from guitar makers because I really don't want to stop playing Fender and most of them want some sort of exclusivity contract. Does anyone have tips on who or where to contact to pitch a sponsorship deal to Fender? I'm not sure where to start with that, but if we have the possibility of sponsorship I would really only want Fender. Otherwise i'll just keep buying Fender guitars!

wayloncash likes this.
  2. slinger

slinger Friend of Leo's

see this guy..[​IMG]

Brazen, mitchfinck, MA6200 and 9 others like this.
  3. Old Tele man

Old Tele man Friend of Leo's

Stand at "the Cross Roads" intersection holding your Telecaster...and wait...for Hades to freeze over (wink,wink).

4. Gary in Boston

Gary in Boston Friend of Leo's

Jeeez is it really that hard / not worth it?

Gary

5. Ooba Tooba

Ooba Tooba Tele-Meister

Don't call us, we'll call you.

6. GoldDeluxe5E3

GoldDeluxe5E3 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I know people who are in marginally successful bands who get sponsor equipment. How about just asking?

shakingpapermusic likes this.
  7. logankolarick

logankolarick Tele-Meister

Fender is a large large company, and unlikely to sponsor people who aren't fairly huge. I don't know how popular you are, but they will probably only do it, if there is a decently big audience of budding musicians that will be inspired by you. Take all the sponsorships you can without exclusivity clauses, cause new gear never hurt anyone.

String Tree likes this.
  8. dsutton24

dsutton24 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

When I got my sponsorship deal with Fender I was opening for the Byrds. They were working for chicken feed, but I had a deal with Tomorrow, and there was always Canned Heat around to tie up Traffic. The Animals, of course, were a problem, if it weren't for all the chicks, I'd have quit. Of course, chicks grow up to be chickens, but they'll never be Yardbirds. Then came Hendrix. He was pretty good, but the Jefferson Airplane shut the Doors on him and I just took it as an article of Blind Faith that The Band would say that Country Joe and the Fish were Rascals. If The Association I had with Grand Funk Railroad wasn't useful, I always had the Led Zepplin to fall back on. After the trip to the Mountain, I made a Deep Purple Iron Butterfly. That, as you might have guessed, lead to the sponsorship deal with Fender.

Easy.

9. SheldonP

SheldonP Tele-Meister Gold Supporter

Fender is usually extremely tight with endorsement deals even concerning well known artists. For the most part, nobody but Clapton level stars get free stuff these days. That said, you'll never get anything you don't ask for. If they think they can get enough exposure and that having you play their guitars will boost their sales in a particular market, you might get dealer pricing or some other such discount.

10. flyingbanana

flyingbanana Poster Extraordinaire

They sent me a box of Fender Thin picks once. Does that count?

11. wayloncash

wayloncash Tele-Afflicted

No there are a bunch of midlevel guys on the fender artists roster. I think you could swing it if you work hard enough

12. jimbo735

jimbo735 Tele-Afflicted

Go the direct route call them ask questions we use to back in the day with a speaker company that was local they gave us the procedure. I really meant to say the hot chick on the other end of the phone gave us the instructions.:p

13. stratoblaster

stratoblaster Tele-Meister

I'm sure they have levels of endorsement. And I doubt the OP is expecting Claptons deal.

I bought a Gretsch from a kid whose band has an endorsement with FMIC. He told me they gave him the guitar. I didn't doubt him. His band tours worldwide, been on the Warped tour multiple years. They were fairly successful for this age of music.

14. superbadj

superbadj Poster Extraordinaire

Uh, yeah that's not true. And yes I know for a fact. Not me, but someone I've known (relative) for many years. Not Clapton. Gets whatever they want. They actually give stuff away that Fender gives them because it's too much to keep up with.

15. ac15

ac15 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Wow.

16. Preacher

Preacher Friend of Leo's

Friends band were playing SXSW two years ago and needed amps. They hit up Supro and got amps at a huge discount. You might not get gear for free but might get it for cost.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2017
  17. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Hmmm...the first thing I would have to do is quit bad mouthing them all the time.

String Tree likes this.
  18. scooter_trasher

scooter_trasher Tele-Meister

If that's what your into whoring for corporations, you could ask Michal Jordan how to get started, or maybe if you wrote Fender a snazzy jingle and send it in with 25 bucks they will send you a t-shirt,but seriously,how many Fender guitars are your fans going to buy, because you play one?

19. omahaaudio

omahaaudio Friend of Leo's

Fender has already got your money. Why should they give you something?

String Tree likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.