How to get dog urine smell out of a guitar?

getbent

Telefied
Gold Supporter
I thought about this quandry... then I thought of the age old question 'how do you get down off an elephant?'
Well, you don't. You get down off of a goose.

If you have a garage or a porch out of the sunlight... pull the guitars from their cases and separate all of them... make sure air is moving... remove the strings from all the guitars and wipe them down with whatever you have historically used for deep cleaning like this https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000BNSYHW/?tag=tdpri-20

after you have wiped and cleaned every single crevasse on all the guitars, sprinkle some baking soda into the inside of your cases (be generous) make sure the cases are DRY before you do this.

Let everything sit out for 3-4 days. Then clean all of them again. Use a good shop vac on the case and armor all on the outside... then take ONE guitar and put new strings on... check the setup. Take the guitar inside and let it sit agains the wall in a room for a couple of hours.

Come back into the room and give it a good sniff. No pee? Good. Go vac the cases, and restring all the guitars and bring them in.

Or Whoops, they still smell like pee! put hot water in a bucket and some microfiber towels... wet the towels and scrub the guitars. Don't leave water on the guitars (use dry microfiber to wipe) but, wipe hard and all over. let sit for 2 more days. Repeat until no pee smell. You'll get there.

Once you do, use the guitar grease/lemon oil whatever and wipe them down, resstring and enjoy.

Peegoo

Doctor of Teleocity
Set the guitars on stands in front of a fan for a week or so. The smell will dissipate.

Using an ozone generator is risky because ozone attacks unprotected polymers which can significantly reduce the service life of many plastics...including finishes. Polymers with high unsaturation (i.e., softer plastic and rubber) will particularly suffer from ozone degradation, because the double bonds in unsaturated polymers readily react with ozone. Same goes for UV light, so no direct sunlight.

Skyhook

Tele-Afflicted
Like Hendrix?

e7bMQp.gif

ROFL! YES! :lol:

TX_Slinger

Tele-Holic
Also put in an airtight enclosure with a $60 Ozone generator from Amazon. I'm pretty sure there was a rotting corpse left in the trunk of the last car I bought and that made it smell like a fresh mountain rain.

Lone_Poor_Boy

Tele-Holic
Also put in an airtight enclosure with a $60 Ozone generator from Amazon. I'm pretty sure there was a rotting corpse left in the trunk of the last car I bought and that made it smell like a fresh mountain rain.

I also recommended an ozone generator, but I'd probably lean toward Peegoo's advice after reading it;

Set the guitars on stands in front of a fan for a week or so. The smell will dissipate.

Using an ozone generator is risky because ozone attacks unprotected polymers which can significantly reduce the service life of many plastics...including finishes. Polymers with high unsaturation (i.e., softer plastic and rubber) will particularly suffer from ozone degradation, because the double bonds in unsaturated polymers readily react with ozone. Same goes for UV light, so no direct sunlight.

ping-ping-clicka

Poster Extraordinaire
Ad Free Member
I bought like 4 guitars (and a Fender Roc-Pro, but I'm less worried about that bc it's just metal+tolex) from this guy who obviously had two very un-housetrained dogs. I didn't think they smelled that bad and wasn't really having any issues with them, but when I put them in my car and drove off, I wanted to die. I volunteer doing flood relief at smoker and dog owner houses, and I think that the constant smell of mold, smoke, and urine has become normal to me, but OH MY GOODNESS WAS THIS BAD.

I got these knowing they were project guitars, but I wasn't prepared for the smell. All the information online is for getting it out of hardwood, but I'm not sure what effect it'll have on the guitars' finishes (which was why I bought them, they're really pretty looking).

What should I do?

if you've tried everything , consider having the dog put down and burn the guitar.
This is clearly a case of rover needing to go to obeisance school.
You know thanks giving is just are the the corner and they do eat dog in Korea.:cool:

pypa

Tele-Holic
I would use windex or ammonia. If it ruins the finish, have the guitar refinished. That can be done pretty easily.

BoomTexan

TDPRI Member
I would use windex or ammonia. If it ruins the finish, have the guitar refinished. That can be done pretty easily.
Currently using Clorox wipes. Very time consuming but it seems to work well. I'm soaking the bigger metal parts in bleach and the smaller ones in vinegar.
After that's done, I'm going to go over it one more time with guitar polish and it should be good. Only 3 more guitars and an amp to go...

El Serio

Tele-Meister
Won't get rid of the doggie-pee but you'll be in too much of a new world of hurt to care. :D

Viable alternative to achieve the same end:
220px-Skunk_about_to_spray.jpg
I've tried that one, I don't recommend it. I didn't take a direct hit though, the skunk sprayed into the wind, which carried the mist around the solid barrier between me and the skunk. Washing myself with hydrogen peroxide helped, but it took my shoes a long time to air out.