1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

how to get a good americana or folk sound

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Johanns, Jan 15, 2021.

1. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

If you are strictly playing at home, and need to stay at typical TV volumes (maybe 65-75 dB, tops) get a Roland MicroCube.

You’ll never get there with a DR on 1.3 volume and pedals.

Johanns likes this.
  2. eclipse

eclipse Tele-Meister

3. richiek65

richiek65 Friend of Leo's

She sure can. Doug Pettibone and Stuart Mathis slay me with their tones.

4. richiek65

richiek65 Friend of Leo's

Fred Eaglesmith was once explaining the difference between Country, and Alt. Country. Something along the lines of when the Alt. Country guy is singing about his truck, it's a metaphor for his life, his relationship, his state of mind etc.. But when the Country guy writes a song about a truck, he's just singing about his truck...

But yeah, some songs do go on a bit!

BUG80, Willie Johnson and Cali Dude like this.
  5. eddiewagner

eddiewagner Poster Extraordinaire

Like that:
    38C1C56E-675C-4493-A364-3F8D0D525662.jpeg

6. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Poster Extraordinaire

I think the OP has most of the desired tones covered with a Tele and the Deluxe Reverb. The Tele, is well, a Tele. The DR gets the amp sound plus reverb and tremolo.

A compressor would be a good addition, especially is slide is in the equation. I've really been enjoying my new Orange Kongpressor but there are several other good choices out there.

An overdrive that can get some grit and dirt when needed would be good. Maybe a Klone or even a Rat can get some of that in there. A milder boost like a Timmy might also be useful.

Johanns likes this.
  7. Charlie Bernstein

Charlie Bernstein Poster Extraordinaire

PS -

It's hard to imagine getting a folk sound from a Tele. Folk music is acoustic.

England's skifflers, the Grateful Dead, Dylan, and Nina Simone all released a lot of folk song recordings with electric instruments on them.But they knew it wasn't folk anymore.

Lucinda usually (always?) plays acoustic. My favorite of her electric lead players was Gurf Morlix — the guy Merle Haggard didn't hire because his playing wasn't fast enough. Morlix' Gretsch Duo Jet wasn't a Tele, but the Filtron pickups bite and twang aplenty.

Those sounds should be easy to approximate with your Tele.

8. darkwaters

darkwaters Friend of Leo's

Slap a Bigsby on an SG and your neck dive concern will disappear. It'll also make the SG even more Old Skool/Americana.

upload_2021-1-21_10-11-58.png

For my tastes, some of the basic elements are a somewhat lofi, tweedy sound (a vintage amp like an old Supro, for example, and/or a medium gain od with a nice, unrefined tone), Tremolo, Reverb, pushed mids. Nothing too extreme, especially the od. Stacked Rats will be a no no.

I've just discovered Big Lazy. For my tastes this is classic stuff:

Enricos and Johanns like this.
  9. tomi

tomi Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Where's Kenny Vaughan?

Telecentric likes this.
  10. tomi

And a Music Man Albert Lee model.

Peegoo likes this.
  11. tomi

It's hard to define an "Americana" tone, but I think the answer lies somewhere along the lines of "What would Robert Fripp not do?"

12. Enricos

Enricos TDPRI Member

I suggest a good compressor, with which you can get an enormous range of sounds and very subtle variations extremely easily. I've used a Boss CE-3, an MXR Dyna Comp and an Xotic SP but the Keeley Compressor Plus I'm presently playing through blows them all out of the water, with considerable force! It's a doddle to get great sounds straight out of the box too. As an example, though it's not your style of music, I've just used it as my sole pedal for a pretty heavy instrumental passage in a rocky tune I'm recording using a Gibson SG-Les Paul Custom through a Marshall Origin 20 into a Mesa Cab Clone, amp on about half volume with a bit of mid-range push. It also sounds great with both my Teles, one stock, the other a Partscaster sporting TV Jones Magna'Trons, and my Firebird with P90s. I urge you to try out this superb compressor. It's not at all expensive, either – I'm in England and I paid just over £100

Johanns likes this.
  13. Enricos

Enricos TDPRI Member

Agree with you – I did exactly that with my SG-Les Paul Custom, and found it eliminated neck dive completely. It also looked very cool. I tired of it eventually because and removed it because Bigsbys or other such devices aren't an important part of my playing style and to keep neck dive at bay I moved the strap button from the neck heel to the point of the top horn. It works a treat and hugely improves the playing position of the instrument. I love SGs almost as much as Teles! Yours looks to be very nice indeed. I had a 1964 cherry SG Special with P90s and foolishly sold it years ago

darkwaters likes this.
  14. Mur

Mur Tele-Afflicted

I think OP has the gear and just needs to crank amp up to a level that sounds like Lucinda's.

15. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Poster Extraordinaire

Practice.
    Then a mid-heavy tube amp with tremolo/vibrato/whatever.
    Then practice more.

darkwaters likes this.
  16. BUG80

BUG80 Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Ha! As soon as I saw that name I knew I was dealing with a fellow Dutchie :)

Anyway, as more people pointed out Americana is a broad genre with a wide spectrum of sounds. BUT for me personally my "default" Americana guitar sound is a Tele bridge pickup (single coil, P90, humbucker, doesn't matter) with a touch of overdrive.

Johanns likes this.
  17. darkwaters

darkwaters Friend of Leo's

Thanks! And "Ouch". I guess we all have one (at least) that got away.

Enricos likes this.
  18. ndcaster

ndcaster Poster Extraordinaire

Hmm.

Americana types like rummage sales and thrift stores. I suggest paying top dollar for a cheap Teisco, Kay, Silvertone or Harmony guitar, the kind you'd find in a Sears Roebuck catalog or an "antiques" store on the side of the road.

Then write long moody songs you can't dance to in order to dwell on a series of poor life choices or to lament things you have no control over. Please add in drug references and a murder ballad for credibility. Wardrobe, as others have said, is key.

I'm sort of kidding.

To me, Americana ground zero is The Band. There are no rules, but there is a code. Good luck!

Enricos and Johanns like this.
  19. Maguchi

Maguchi Tele-Holic

For that type of sound I like to use the tremelo on a tweed vibrolux clone or a Fender '65 Princeton Reverb reissue. But you should be able to get a good Americana/Folk sound with the Fender '64 Deluxe Reverb using tremelo.
    20210112_005145.jpg 20200901_153657.jpg

Johanns and Cali Dude like this.
  20. brother aldo

brother aldo TDPRI Member

Head on over to the gear page, the sadly now defunct and abandoned “Alt country club” thread is an amazing resource. Good luck.

Johanns likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.