1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

how to get a good americana or folk sound

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Johanns, Jan 15, 2021.

1. Johanns

Johanns TDPRI Member

I have two telecasters: Customshops of a 50's and a 60's model. They sound good, but I'm looking for an amaricana or folk sound. a bit that raw. Think of the sound of Lucinda Williams' guitars.

I have a deluxe reverb custom 64 (handwired) amp.

someone good advice? settings? effect pedals? maybe another amp there? princeton for example?

2. howardlo

howardlo Tele-Afflicted

Acoustic guitar.

3. backporchmusic

backporchmusic Poster Extraordinaire

A guitar with P90s.

johmica, rand z and Johanns like this.
  4. davidge1

davidge1 Friend of Leo's

Just turn the amp up louder.

5. Telecentric

Telecentric Tele-Holic

When you say Lucinda's guitars, I think you may be confused. She plays acoustic only. You might be thinking of one of the many fine players she has hired over the years such as Doug Petibone, Gurf Morlix, Buddy Miller, Charlie Sexton, Johnie Lee Schell, Bo Ramsey & Stuart Mathis.

For songs like World without tears or Over Time, I just dial up a nice fat slow tremolo. On others, some compression, reverb and OD. Not too much of anything. Of course I'm just approximating what I hear, not really trying to copy their tone exactly

6. telepraise

telepraise Tele-Afflicted

Nah, there's definitely tele and strat work in there on Car Wheels on a Gravel Road. In the studio they may have used a lower wattage amp cranked to get that overdrive sound.

You have great equipment! With one of those teles and that amp you should be able to get what you want out of them. I'm guessing an overdrive from the "transparent" family should get you there with some experimenting. Or turn that Deluxe up to 6 if your ears can take it.

By the way, Welcome to the forum Johanns!

Maguchi, Martian and Johanns like this.
  7. lathoto

lathoto Tele-Meister

A hot rod D-18. Just roll the bass off a bit.

Billy3 likes this.
  8. Addnine

Addnine Tele-Holic

Smoke Gauloise blues (bleus) and say a lot of really sensitive stuff. This is the the key to the folkish weltanschauung.

Jef, PhredE, ucnick and 4 others like this.
  9. loopfinding

loopfinding Friend of Leo's

Seriously? You have a tele and a DR. Just plug in and go. If you can’t get an Americana sound with that, the problem may be you.

10. smoothrecluse

smoothrecluse Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Could you pick some particular songs that exemplify the sound you’re looking for? I’m sure the folks around here can steer you right.

11. strat a various

strat a various Friend of Leo's

Right? That's good, very clever. A folk sound ... pedals? Wut now? If not an acoustic, at least just plug the Tele in the amp and play notes without too much reverb.

KW1977 likes this.
  12. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

To my ear, and understanding of amp circuits, your BF era amp is an attempt to refine and clean up the formerly raw nasty character of the electric guitar.

You can coax raw nasty sounds out of that refined circuit but I’d reach for a more raw primitive circuit.

Maguchi, darkwaters and Johanns like this.
  13. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

We don’t know what the OP is thinking but I guess for me it (Americana) would be Robbie Robertson’s early work or maybe in a broader sense extend to country Blues.
    Folk wouldn’t me be acoustic, I can’t say folk music with electric guitar is really still folk, but I'm not the OP.

Zappastectomy, KW1977 and howardlo like this.
  14. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

Set your guitar volume on about 6, and then set your amp to just start breaking up when you push the strings hard. And you're off to the races. Control the amount of grit with playing dynamics and tweaking the volume knob.

Check out Kenny Vaughan's tone here. He's using a Gibson.

15. Chester Burnett

Chester Burnett Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

Tweed or Brownface circuit cranked up would be ideal. Slow Trem. With your current amp you’ll just have to play with low gain pedals until you find something you like. Klon type maybe but there are lots of choices. I actually use an Arctic White Fuzz with the gain turned down for this style.

16. Telecentric

Telecentric Tele-Holic

Yeah, a cranked Champ (or clone) will probably be better suited for this than a DR unless you have an attenuator.

Maguchi and Johanns like this.
  17. adjason

adjason Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

You have great gear- buy a couple of overdrive pedals- I like the lovepedal deluxe 5e3 just about the best and let er rip- tubescreamer, ocd, boss blues driver all will get some more grit but something that approximates tweed is where it is at or me

JanOak, KW1977, Johanns and 3 others like this.
  18. loopfinding

loopfinding Friend of Leo's

yeah, i agree with folk, maybe if you're on some hill country blues type stuff with a little busted practice amp, fine.

but the americana thing is sort of like asking "what's a good punk amp?" well, anything distorting a little bit really.

Johanns and telemnemonics like this.
  19. Jakedog

Jakedog Telefied Ad Free Member

I play a LOT of this style of music.

The way I do it:

Les Paul or similar, with low output vintage style pickups.

For amps I’m currently using a Marshall Origin 20 combo, mostly with a 1x12 extension cab. I also have 15 watt single ended Supro. When I really wanna have fun (and can be a little loud) I use them both at once. Not on a switcher. Tandem. I like to set the amps for light breakup/edge of breakup with the guitar volume wide open. I never touch the volume knob on the guitar except to turn it all the way down between song, or to do swells.

Set like that, I can go from whisper quiet to peeling paint with my right hand dynamics. That’s the base tone.

For effects:

Comp—>OD (never transparent)—>clean boost—>trem—>phaser or flanger—> Reverb

Last time I saw Lucinda, her guy was using an SG for almost everything. He also had a Les Paul, and some kind of 12 string. I don’t remember what else. He had a Silverface Pro Reverb, and a couple silverface Princeton reverbs. I don’t know what he was using for what. Couldn’t see his pedalboard. He was NAILING all the album tones. Something in the chain had to be adding a lot of midrange, cause silver faced amps just don’t sound like that on their own.

Another guy I also have always thought had killer sounds for that stuff is Gary Louris. Jayhawks. Almost all SG. And a Boogie if I’m not mistaken... Jay Farrar, pretty sure he’s big on P90’s and boogies.

Disclaimer: I don’t even try to play at “living room” volumes. Ever.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2021
  20. donrichfan

donrichfan Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

You're amp is probably too powerful to get to the sound you want on it’s own, so my suggestion is to find a used Lovepedal Les Lius on Reverb, and along with your killer amp and guitars, you'll have the sound you want. (speaking from experience / I own this killer pedal)

https://reverb.com/p/lovepedal-les-lius

[​IMG]

KW1977 and adjason like this.
  21. That Cal Webway

That Cal Webway Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

G, A, C, D sometimes E.
    And relative minors.

Capo it like a decal too!! (Same above chord fingerings)

:)

Charlie Bernstein and heffus like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.