1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

How to force DiMarzio to do business with me?

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by LostTheTone, Jan 12, 2021.

1. loopfinding

loopfinding Friend of Leo's

i was toying with the idea of getting a custom wound split coil tele bridge pickup a while ago. i asked several winders in germany how much they'd do it for. it was all cheaper than buying some off the shelf US pickups from dimarzio or SD. and that's a specialty pickup they'd have to make a different bobbin for. if all you want is a PAF with a specific magnet strength or amount of turns, it's not going to be very expensive to go with a custom winder over here. that's total bread and butter stuff. you don't need to go with some overpriced boutique stuff to get a decent pickup. anyone who's been doing it for some years will probably do you right.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2021
  2. LostTheTone

LostTheTone Tele-Meister

I'm not looking for a PAF pickup with a tweaked sound - Kinda exactly the opposite. I'm looking for a bonafide metal pickup with the sound you'd expect for it's model but which has a PAF cover on top of it.

That's why I'd like to get one that comes straight from the manufacturer in that form if I can. At least that way I know I'm getting the proper sound.

I suppose I could get a truly custom pickup set made, but I legitimately don't know how to even approach that beyond "Make me this pickup for less money". I'm also cautious of working with people who, in general, do classic vintage sounds not slamming metal.

I'm more open to putting a cover on a stock pickup that I can obtain than getting a custom one when I don't exactly know what custom spec I would want.

3. viking

viking Friend of Leo's

Oh , sorry , I thought there were extra charges from DM , and then costly shipping to the UK.

4. loopfinding

I guess I’m not following. You want an active pickup? There are EMGs and other brands with nickel covers.

Otherwise a humbucker is a humbucker is a humbucker. It’s just the mags and the turns count and wire gauge that separates them from a traditional PAF. Same bobbins, baseplate, construction. For a full size HB, barring WRHB style, there is practically only a “tweaked PAF” in passive land.

What is the model you want? We can probably help you find the basically the same thing based on the specs.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2021
  5. mtglick

mtglick TDPRI Member

Just my .02, I bought a couple Dimarzios a few years back on Ebay, in really bad colors--one in camo, one in a pinkish red. Bought chrome Dimarzio pickup covers. Soldered the covers on, installed, then uninstalled, wax potted due to insane feedback from not realizing how much the covers would resonate, and reinstalled. Problem solved.

Pick what you want in whatever color you can find, then find covers that fit your style. If you can install pickups, this is well within your capabilities, and if you're planning on having a tech do the installation, it's even more within theirs.

LostTheTone likes this.
  6. LostTheTone

LostTheTone Tele-Meister

Yeah, you and me both man.

I don't even think it's a legal thing as such; it's just that they don't want to deal with international orders from individuals. They are always a pain because import duty and such slow down orders and there's a lot of returns if/when people don't want to pay the extra costs.

There's no reason why DiMarzio or Seymour Duncan can't do international orders (EMG will ship to the UK for example) but at present they won't do it themselves.

I have e-mailed their sales team, asking if they will do it for me if I ask nicely, and I guess we'll see what they say.

Jakedog likes this.
  7. Sconnie

Sconnie Tele-Afflicted

https://www.andertons.co.uk/dimarzio-at-1-andy-timmons-pickup-in-chrome-regular-spacing

Andertons carries lots of UK made pickups, and this metal pickup linked above (16.5kohm DC resistance). Is there anything wrong with supporting manufacturers in the UK? Bare Knuckle has products abound on Anderton's site, they seem to know how to wind a pickup. The guitar in question is a 6-string correct?

Also, why do you think you'll be able to knock down the door of a small winder and demand they do it for less money? c'mon man...

The title of your thread show's your attitude as well... Either take the advice of folks here or don't, but you seem to be demanding someone here gives you exactly what you want rather than utilizing some of the suggestions here and figuring it out for yourself. It took me 5 seconds to find a pickup sold in the UK that meets all your specs.

If you've spoken to the DiMarzio distributor who is presumably (your words) the only importer of DiMarzio in the UK, and they refuse to import the model you want, then you have to get creative if you insist on that pickup model.

Good luck I guess, and cheer up.

Peltogyne, loopfinding and SRHmusic like this.
  8. LostTheTone

LostTheTone Tele-Meister

No, I'm not talking about active pickups.

You're right that pickups are all just magnets and pickup wire. There's no reason why a boutique winder couldn't make something very close.

My concern is that we're talking about pickups that I've never played myself, that I don't know the specs of from a manufacturing perspective, and I'd just be taking on faith that whoever made them would be doing a good job. If they don't exactly nail it, I'll end up having to buy something else anyway.

As I say - It seems like just buying the pickups I want is better than trying to get someone else to replica them.

Jakedog likes this.
  9. loopfinding

But you haven't even tried the dimarzios right? you're just taking them on faith too because they say "metal" on them...

mandofrog and Chipss36 like this.
  10. LostTheTone

LostTheTone Tele-Meister

No, Anderton's don't sell the pickups I want.

And no, I'm not looking for a 6 string pickup at all.

I have looked really quite hard for a UK dealer that sells what I'm after, and come up short. Hence why I'm asking for advice for how to buy the things that I want. DiMarzio DO sell what I want, but not in the UK. No-one sells what I want in the UK.

As for asking a custom winder to do things cheaper - Someone else said it'd be a cheaper option, and I said that it's be weird for me to go to a bespoke manufacturer and say "Make me these DMZ pickups". Which it would be.

I haven't managed to speak to HeadStock who legitimately are the only official DiMarzio distributors in the Uk (according to DiMarzio anyway) because, as I said, they only deal with trade enquiries, not personal ones. I am trying, but my hopes aren't high.

As I've said in response to various people's advice - Yes, I am trying to contact people. I didn't ask for some instant answer I asked for advice from people who've had similar struggles with different models being available in different countries. To quote myself:

"Does anyone have experience of this kind of problem? Have you been able to persuade DiMarzio to sell stuff to you that they normally wouldn't? Do you know a reputable dealer in the US who would be willing to ship a specific order to the UK?"

I asked for advice from people who've been similarly frustrated, people offered ideas, I said that I will try those. I mean, what more do you want from me dude?

goonie and PaulNYC like this.
  11. stormsedge

stormsedge Friend of Leo's

Thomann has over 100 DiMarzio pups on their US website...try their UK/EU site, maybe you can get them there?

loopfinding likes this.
  12. hopdybob

hopdybob Tele-Afflicted

i like the car brand Daihatsu, a while ago they left the euro market.
    you can bang your head to a wall but that is their course.
    with guitars etc its the same, the brand make the calls where things will be sold.
    you can make a detour by asking a US local store to send you the pickup you want and pay some more ore let it go.
    its what it is and when these pickups would sell huge, than maybe they would sent them to the local suppliers is the UK.
    but it seems they don't sell enough

13. LostTheTone

LostTheTone Tele-Meister

No, I'm interested in them (and three or four others) because they are very well regarded for the purpose I'm going to put them to. They are well reviewed, and also are available (in the US) in the format that I want them in. That's as much as anyone can reasonably do when pickup shopping.

I am definitively not trying to buy whatever claims to be the most metal.

I am however keen to buy things that are suited to what I want to play. No, I can't say with 100% certainty that I'll get something perfect. But pretty good? Yeah, pretty good. And I am absolutely sure that some random P90s aren't what I'm after, so I'm not going to buy them even if someone writes METAL up the side.

14. LostTheTone

LostTheTone Tele-Meister

They do not, unfortunately.

This is the core problem - They carry LOTS of pickups. But they carry the "default" versions of them all, plus a couple of zebras and such for popular ones. But they do not carry the full catalogue that DMZ offers in the US.

stormsedge likes this.
  15. LostTheTone

LostTheTone Tele-Meister

When I was a lad I drove a Daihatsu Charade, so I too know the pain of trying to get parts for a car no-one has heard of.

You're right that I'm looking for something which is not hugely popular. Not a lot of industrial metal fans like the PAF styling. But I'm building a Tele Deluxe which looks reasonably authentic, and I want to find pickups which go with that.

I'm aware this is difficult. There is not a lot of demand.

But, for all that, DiMarzio have PAF-covered high output modern metal pickups as part of their standard line up.

That's what annoys me, honestly. If there were just no demand, and nothing available, well I would do my best here. I am open to the idea of putting my own covers on, or paying someone else to do it. But I would rather not have to rely on modding pickups if I don't have to, and since DiMarzio sell what I want (or extremely close anyway) then it's be nice to just buy from a manufacturer and have a proper warranty and all that.

It's that feeling that I could just buy what I want off the shelf, but only in the US, which frustrates me. Like... Is it so hard to just take my damn money?

goonie likes this.
  16. otterhound

otterhound Poster Extraordinaire

I am left handed and play left handed and you are frustrated about a simple matter like this simply because it is inconvenient .

17. SRHmusic

SRHmusic Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

DiMarzio does do custom orders from what I've seen. I would contact a dealer in the US that will ship to the UK and have them put in the custom order for you.

DiMarzio is not a big company so might not want the hassle of international orders, shipping, customs, etc.

Asmith and LostTheTone like this.
  18. LostTheTone

LostTheTone Tele-Meister

Yes, exactly that.

It is frustrating to find out that the things I want to buy are available on the market, just not to me.

I appreciate that in the grand scheme of things it's not something spectacular. There's plenty of other answers out there, but it would be nice if I could get everything I want, since it is literally on sale in the US. I mean, they are products that do exist for sale.

And, to be fair, I don't think I made out that this was a critical problem. I just asked if anyone had managed to get DiMarzio's official store to sell outside the US.

19. stormsedge

stormsedge Friend of Leo's

Why not call Thomann/EU direct and see if they can special order them? The worst that can happen is they say "no'.

SRHmusic likes this.
  20. LostTheTone

LostTheTone Tele-Meister

I'm working my way out to them - GAK and Andertons get the first shout because they are here in the UK. If the UK folks can't get them, I'll try Thomann since they (hopefully) should have a different distributor.

stormsedge likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.