1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

How to fix dead spots on my B-Bender Tele?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by telequacktastic, Feb 25, 2013.

1. telequacktastic

telequacktastic Tele-Afflicted

I noticed it saturday night at a gig in the middle of a solo. I went for a big 15th fret bend on the high E string and I just lost volume. I think it's a dead spot on the neck as it doesn't happen through the same rig with my Strats or other Teles.

Anybody had the same issue and fixed it on the same guitar with a replacement neck? Thinking of ordering a new neck from USACG. Anyone got a better idea? I'm all ears... :rolleyes:

2. telequacktastic

I guess I could buckle down and just buy a new guitar... I don't really wanna do that though.

3. thumbpick

thumbpick Tele-Afflicted

i have found as necks dry out, frets get loose, they get these ..dead spots.. easy fix run super glue along both sides ...it will bring back the volume

4. thumbpick

thumbpick Tele-Afflicted

... both sides of the fret...

5. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

If you don't have any loose frets you might try temporarily clamping some weight on the headstock and see if the dead spot moves. It's a fairly common problem with Fender Jazz Bass Guitars around the 7th, 8th fret on the G sting. Teles that I've seen this on is right where you mention around the 15th. I mentioned this on this forum not long ago, and got several responses naysaying the problem, but I've seen it on several other brands of guitars not just Fenders.

6. EooN

EooN TDPRI Member

How about taking it to a tech? One of the frets may be too high or too low, and that's not really a reason to buy a new guitar,right? :)

7. telequacktastic

Toto's Dad: I'm gonna give it a shot! :D What if the dead spots move? What does this tell me, and what do I do from there? What if the dead spots don't move? Then what do I do?

I have no expirience at this...:rolleyes:

8. xtrajerry

xtrajerry Doctor of Teleocity

Bingo!

Toto'sDad's idea is worth a look too..

9. thumbpick

thumbpick Tele-Afflicted

telequacktastic..:quote:..I have no expirience at this...

it doesnt take much to have a loose fret..get up close and push the fret down(on the ends) and see if it moves a bit..if it moves..push the fret end down..hold it there..and a drop of super glue...check every fret..both ends...nail em down.....go back and glue all the frets all along the whole fret

10. telequacktastic

I'll give it a shot

11. Warren Pederson

Warren Pederson Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I had a guitar that had something loose, tuner, or screw, ....oh ya...it was the truss rod. Just needed to take up the slack. The vibration was causing some odd dead spots.

12. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

If the dead spot moves it's probably not a fret. For a bass, they made a little attachment called a something finger, maybe heavy finger, can't remember right off. But if you put something on there and it does cure the problem, you might get some lead tape (used for balancing golf clubs) at a golf store and put on the back of the headstock. It's flat, heavy for it's size and you can add just what you want. It wouldn't be noticeable either unless you were looking for it. The strips are about 1 1/4 inch long, then and maybe 1/2 inch wide. The suggestion of the truss rod being too loose can be problematic, and also from being too tight. For some reason if they are too tight it chokes the guitar, and makes some of the strings sound odd usually the little e and b strings are affected. I had a Martin once that I would get the neck pretty straight and just back it off like 1/16, 1/8 turn and it would just open it up, if I left it straight even though it didn't buzz it was kind of choked sounding. Hope you get it doped out, I know something like that can really bug you. One more thing, you might try turning up the volume a little (if you can) to see if that helps, sometimes it does on a bass.

13. telequacktastic

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.