How to fine tune / reshape existing neck?

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by yanni, Nov 18, 2017.

1. yanni

yanni Tele-Meister

I bought a USACG neck which is very nice but I would like to remove some wood for the shoulders. What tools would you recommend for this ? Would you sand this away or file this aways ? W

Thanks a lot...

2. Finck

Finck Tele-Afflicted

I'd use sandpaper, by hand... Starting with 80 and going higher...
    I think you have best control this way.

Torren61 likes this.
  3. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

draw lines on the back straight relative to the edges of the neck.. that will give you a reference as you're sanding... and use a spray adhesive to attach the sand paper to a flat sanding block...and use it much like you would a wood plane ... start with 80... then an interim like 150 - 180 .... and finish sand with 240... you really don;lt need to go any higher..

Now.. if you have not done this before... test your skills on that 69.00 Walmart special you have hiding in the closet somewhere.. FIRST . . . DO NOT "learn" on Grandaddy's '52 Tele...

Ron Kirn

Torren61 and John Nicholas like this.
  4. Torren61

Torren61 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I thinned a '77 LP neck with sandpaper exactly as stated above. Lower grit going to higher.

5. Erwin

Erwin Tele-Meister

Ron,
    My grandfather has a very old and ugly tele like guitar. I think it is one of the first Chinese knockoffs as it says Broadcaster on the headstock. I think they didn't get it right the first time. The electronics are also not right as it doesn't have the neck + bridge setting. Woud that be a good one to practice on ?

6. Finck

Finck Tele-Afflicted

The block mentioned by Ron Kirn is a must, and some spray adhesive sure facilitates the process (I don't use it, just because the stuff is very expensive where I live, but maintain the sandpaper in place is a pain in the neck).

I like to put thick EVA between the block and the sandpaper when sanding rounded pieces. I think this helps to reach a softer contour.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.