How to find a lost part - guaranteed to work every time

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by tubegeek, Mar 29, 2020.

1. tubegeek

tubegeek Tele-Afflicted

OK so let's start with, I'm an idiot. However, I'm a happier idiot than I was 10 minutes ago.

Before I get into the whole story, let me deliver on answering the thread title question:

Q: How do you find a lost part in your workshop?
    A: Order a replacement, and you'll find the missing one right away.

Works every time.

Tonight's example: I was fitting the tuning machine bushings on a kit guitar I am building, and I didn't quite have the placement of one of the holes right so I wanted to tweak it a little with a reamer. The bushing was stuck tight in the hole, so first I had to tap it out from the back with a hammer.

I found that I had a soldering iron tip that would be the right shape to push the bushing from the back and I hit it with my hammer. The bushing and tip went flying across the room like a bottle rocket. I soon found the soldering iron tip on the floor over there, but no bushing. (NEXT TIME: WRAP A HANKIE OVER THE HEADSTOCK TO CATCH THE BUSHING! OR PRESS IT OUT WITH A C-CLAMP!)

Did I mention I'm an idiot?

To say that I went to extraordinary lengths looking for the bushing would be an understatement. I moved furniture, I emptied out boxes that it might have dropped into, I went through the trashcan that was nearby, I threw out a bunch of stuff, I organized stuff, I spent hours looking for the damn bushing.

Finally I gave up and ordered a new set of six bushings.

A few minutes later I decided to give it one more try. I found the little b*stard in a box full of transistors in between some little mini manila envelopes packed tightly together. Initially I had thought there was no way it could have slipped out of sight in that box and hadn't picked through it completely.

I immediately ran downstairs to the computer and cancelled the order for the replacement bushings. (Sometimes this trick doesn't work until the item is already shipped and you're on the hook for the new part, but I got lucky this time.)

My workroom is a bit neater than it started out, so there's that. And I found my fret crowning file in the process, so overall I'm ahead of the game. Now I just have to tweak that hole a little and hope the bushing fits a bit better when I'm done.

Ricky D., MatchlessMan, Ronzo and 7 others like this.
  2. scooteraz

scooteraz Friend of Leo's

At least you found it before you got the replacement parts. Usually, I have to get the replacement parts, install those, then find the missing parts when I’m looking for the next lost part....”hey, I was looking for these last week!”

Ronzo, zippofan and tubegeek like this.
  3. tubegeek

tubegeek Tele-Afflicted

Sometimes it goes that way, and then you have doubles. Sometimes....

Ronzo likes this.
  4. PeterUK

PeterUK Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

@tubegeek Yup! I have that T-shirt with I'm an idiot on the back! :D

I had a similar scenario yesterday. I'm adding a second monitor to my home office set up as it looks as though it's going to be a while before things turn back to normal so I trying to make my work environment comfortable and efficient.

The twin monitor stand came with various fixings to mount the monitors and my existing monitor was mounted with a set of fixings straight out of the box.

The new monitor was a different config but the stand manufacturer had catered for this and supplied lengths of fixings but the longer ones were about 2mm too long. No problem I thought! I have a pack of spring washers of the exact diameter I need.

But instead of going straight to the box where I had a hunch they were I proceeded to look through draws and boxes, eventually having nowhere to look other than the original 'hunch' box.

I opened it up and it was like a scene from a film where the hero opens the holy chalice. Angels sang and a beam of light emitted from the box!

There they were, glittering in the sunlight. I needed 8 washers and there were exactly 8 in a small packet.

Had I gone to the hunch box first I would have saved myself 40-minutes of frustration and curses/bad language! :lol:

I was 2-minutes from ordering the washers online, so your theory holds up! :)

Ronzo and tintag27 like this.
  5. tubegeek

tubegeek Tele-Afflicted

Not a theory: FACT!

6. tintag27

tintag27 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I found a foolproof way to locate that unique little screw that always sidesteps the screwdriver and makes a mighty leap for freedom...
    Take your shoes and socks off and walk round the room for a few minutes - the sharp stab of pain when you step on that screw in your bare feet will be softened by the overwhelming sense of satisfaction at finding it...

Damnit! where did I put that screwdriver, it was here a minute ago!!!

2blue2, Ronzo, PeterUK and 3 others like this.
  7. tah1962

tah1962 Friend of Leo's

Yep, I’ve been there and done that. :D

DavidP, Ronzo and tubegeek like this.
  8. esseff

esseff Tele-Afflicted

Guy I knew in Africa told me funny (but not at the time) story about about driving his pick-up off-road and having engine problems. He'd had issues with the carburetor before so he lifted the hood and stripped it down. When it was time to reassemble it, he couldn't find a jet (or something small, I forget what exactly). He spent half an hour sweating and cursing looking in the sand and in the engine's nooks and crannies for this bit. He eventually lost his temper and threw a handful of pieces into the bush in a blind rage.
    Then he saw the piece on top of the suspension turret, just where he'd put it.

9. stormsedge

stormsedge Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

I have multiple small parts bins for different projects...it does not always help:oops:.

Ronzo and tubegeek like this.
  10. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

Idjut .. don't ya know , You think.. think, of the last place you will be looking, then look there first... Duh..:rolleyes: :p:p

or, as ya say, just order a replacement... :D

DavidP, Ronzo, PeterUK and 1 other person like this.
  11. Crafty Fox

Crafty Fox Tele-Afflicted

So, does anyone know where I put my laser measure? Its usually in my glove box.:(
    I bought a replacement but haven't opened the sealed box yet, hoping that I'll find mine and return the new one to the store for a $200 refund.

tubegeek likes this.
  12. tubegeek

tubegeek Tele-Afflicted

Pickup bed? Those are just large glove boxes, right?

13. Gravel Road

Gravel Road TDPRI Member

what gets me is when I need parts or I loose parts, I log into my online parts store. The first words I see on the screen from the supplier is "Welcome back, we have been expecting you."

tubegeek, 2blue2 and Ronzo like this.
  14. Jim_in_PA

Jim_in_PA Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Ironically, we were just dealing with a similar situation here at home over the past few days, although not with guitar parts. Professor Dr. SWMBO decided to put the mercury thermometers in a safe place just in case the electronic ones failed. And they we searched high and low for them. As with all things, they were hidden in plain sight in her office on the mantle...they even had both a security guard and a flippin' sign...

upload_2020-3-29_10-47-0.png

tubegeek and rangercaster like this.
  15. Ronzo

Ronzo Tele-Meister

Wormholes...

Still looking for the truss rod cover screw for my Ibanez 500FL... I need a Tardis. Or Matthew McConaughey in Interstellar.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2020
    tubegeek likes this.
  16. medownsouth

medownsouth Tele-Meister

D72BFBDC-AB5C-48F0-8F54-879A80317B6B.jpeg Follow this little **** around for a bit, usually find it

E-miel and tubegeek like this.
  17. Freeman Keller

Freeman Keller Friend of Leo's

A dropped part always falls in to the most inaccessible crack, also known as the Law of Selective Gravity

Jim_in_PA and tubegeek like this.
  18. 2blue2

2blue2 Friend of Leo's

Dang not again!

tubegeek likes this.
  19. stonge

stonge TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

the 'have it/need it/can't find it/order replacement/find the one i had' cycle can be a tough one to break lol. I'm at the age when i know i have to put things where they belong in order to find them later, but sometimes i forget where they were put. tore the house apart looking for my full roll of kester solder only to find it in the box with my soldering station and spare tips. Apparently i had enough of a thought process to put that all together in a logical place, but not enough of one to remember that.

Crafty Fox likes this.
  20. erix

erix Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

I have a magic box of screws, nuts, bolts, washers, etc... It always knows how many of a particular thing I need and presents me exactly 1 less.

LeftFinger and E-miel like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.