1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

How to Fatten Up Tone on a PRRI

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Pancho Villa, Mar 6, 2020.

1. KC

KC Friend of Leo's

I just picked up a Princeton with a 12 a while ago and my experience has been that every dirt pedal in the universe was designed to pair well with this amp. I would say try this route before you start swapping speakers -- cheaper, easier, more fun. Timmy / Amp 11 / Fulldrive / KTR all sound great with this amp, though the KTR sounds better at volume.

2. Apache Snow

Apache Snow Tele-Meister

My Princeton Reverb with 12 inch speaker came from Sweetwater. It came with a 12 Cannabis Rex in it. I think it sounds good. But what ever you do let the speaker you have break in. If you start changing speakers with out breaking them in it would be like a dog chasing his tail in my opinion.

GGardner, Chipss36, The Blood and 4 others like this.
  3. The Blood

The Blood Tele-Meister

The Silverface Princeton I bought a couple of years ago came with 12" Alnico Red Tone Tubby and it is loud and fat. It added some weight but I think it also added some punch. I've got an old SG and a modded BD-2, and that seems to be a winning combination if the reaction I get at the blues jams are any indication.

4. telepraise

telepraise Tele-Afflicted

It's the Jensen alnico speaker as Schmee intimated. I have the same speaker in my PRRI Special Edition. I've hooked a 12" Allesandro up to it and and it does just what your looking for- fat and juicy with still having lots of highs. Be forewarned, it'll be way more sound than you can get away with in an apartment.

The Jensen P12Q is about the least efficient 12" alnico there is. Get the volume up to a little past 4 and it starts sounding good. The speaker will improve as it gets broken in (~20+ hrs?), but it's still going to sound like a low output alnico.

BTW, if you're in an apartment, I wouldn't looking at a DRRI (I have one of those too). Your Princeton will get you that same sound once you get the right speaker in it, and you'll be shocked how much sound it puts out.

schmee likes this.
  5. Geo

Geo Friend of Leo's

I vote for the hemp type speaker Cannabis Rex or Jensen Jet Falcon 12. I've used both of
    these for the same sound issue with very good and much better than anticipated results.

6. theprofessor

theprofessor Poster Extraordinaire

Well you've gotten a lot of different types of answers from us so far.

The easiest is with a new speaker. In my opinion, the best is with a speaker and with a mids/raw mod (see here, post #2) and the best tubes you can find. If you don't already have a Mullard CV4024 in your reverb driver position, that is a wonderful tube for reverb.

As for speakers, the best 12" speaker I've heard in a Princeton Reverb is the Eminence JS-1250.

7. blueruins

blueruins Tele-Meister

A good EP-3 preamp can help.

8. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

So many speakers recommend here are in that 100db at 1 watt at 1 meter range.
    Does that really sound like a good idea for a guy in an apartment?
    You guys need to try a Maverick so you know what sensitivity ratings are all about. Geez.

Similarly wattage amp, actually a little less than a Princeton Reverb, early Ampeg Reverberocket with the 6v6s. I've got two of those. Anyway the first one had the OEM Jensen C12R and I had a G12H30 Anniversary laying around. So I put it in. The volume increase was unreal! Sounded great but I lived in town then and from the basement I could be heard on the street. So you turn the amp down and it's thin, lifeless and no fun. The C12R went back in. Then I moved out to the country, the G12H30 is back. The C12R probably isn't much over 90 DBs and the G12H30 is right about 100 DB.
    This stuff does make.a difference.

Chunkocaster, Hatfield92 and MilwMark like this.
  9. tubelectron

tubelectron Tele-Afflicted

How to Fatten Up Tone on a PRRI
    The OEM PRRI Jensen C10R is a scooped-mid, low efficiency speaker. The P10 are even worse...
    You will have no issue to find a better speaker !

I personally opted for an Oxford RI 10" coming from a 2x10" Brown Vibroverb RI in my SF PR, that proved to sound cool and balanced, cutting through the mix :

[​IMG]

The choice is wide... Simply discard Jensen C10/P10 and their imitations if you want to fatten the tone of your PRRI ! ;)

But it's me, OK ? :D

-tbln

10. Tone Specific

Tone Specific Tele-Meister Vendor Member

Many good suggestions here but an EP-3 in front will fatten up your Princeton.

11. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

So many are clueless or in denial about how loud they are actually playing at home.

The guys on That Pedal Show have a dB meter. They generally don't start smiling until meter reads 95-105db. They don't wear earplugs. I don't know how they do it.

Trying to get a fat tone out of a PR at home is a losing battle, if you are actually aware of how loud you are.

BobbyZ likes this.
  12. fasteddie42

fasteddie42 Tele-Afflicted

idk

I think a PRRI sound great at 5/6

aerhed likes this.
  13. koolaide

koolaide Tele-Afflicted

fatten with out a lot of dirt to a good amount of dirt. Drive the preamp with a pedal. I recommend a Jan Ray Clone, or a Timmy (which the jan ray is derived from. Or even a good ol TS-9.
    Otherwise as previously noted volume to drive into saturation.

14. Mike Simpson

Mike Simpson Doctor of Teleocity

I gig with a 74 Princeton Reverb with a 12” Cannabis Rex speaker and I use a J Rockett Blue note or Archer as a slight clean boost. Volume on 3-4 , treble 7-8, bass 3-4.

I don’t like a lot of dirt and play mostly a boosted fat clean sound. I can dirty it up is that suits the song but I dislike a constant buzzy with no spank or sproink.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2020
    jungebez likes this.
  15. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Key word being "gig". On volume 3-4. As in "getting over a drummer".

16. cravenmonket

cravenmonket Tele-Holic

I know it is largely subjective, but I have a 12" Jensen in my PRRI and it's not shrill or spiky, or lacking in the mid-range at all. Choice of pick up makes a difference to the tone, obviously. On my Telecaster I use the neck more than the bridge and I'm never reaching to roll off the treble. And even on the bridge pickup I find it rarely needs to be boosted in the low end or reduced in the top end.

I don't live in an apartment, but I can turn my PRRI up to 5 at home without worrying that anyone might be bothered by the noise. My family never complains, and they're a few feet away...

I have noticed that above 5 on the volume, the PRRI gets dramatically louder. It's not gradual, it's like a quick doubling of volume between 4.5 and 5.5. Not sure if this is intentionally wired into the circuit, or what, but I tend to find 1-5 is a smooth, gradual volume increase, and then boom it gets much louder. This is also where it begins to break up when I dig in with a pick. It sounds thicker and warmer, too.

For a thicker sound, try turning the amplifier up higher, and roll off the volume on your guitar. Your amp will sound nicer...

17. Bluey

Bluey Tele-Meister

18. Bluey

Bluey Tele-Meister

19. bluebirdrad

bluebirdrad Tele-Meister

I've got a Dr. Z Brake Lite attenuator installed in my PR. I always use it for home playing and sometimes at a gig when low volume is required. Allows you to crank the amp and control the volume. Also got one in my Deluxe. I like it a lot.

Mr Ridesglide likes this.
  20. jungebez

jungebez TDPRI Member

I have PRRI with a 12" Cannibas Rex as well. At home, I play with about the same settings and use a Tumnus Deluxe / Timmy combo to boost a fat clean (almost at break up) tone. It sounds great! Add a little "halo around the note" dual delay (dotted 8th / quarter note) and a tiny bit of modulation to take it even further. Thanks to Andy Timmons for that tip. Also, at this volume and with single coils - a MXR Distortion Plus with max vol / min distortion will actually provide a really incredible clean boost... just a hint of grit and great dynamics (how Jerry Garcia once used it). You can also use a compressor, suggest the Wampler Ego, with the Blend turned down to help fatten up the overall signal without getting squishy.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.