How to drill neck holes in a body to fit a pre-existing neck?

Ronkirn

Doctor of Teleocity
Another vote for plugging the existing holes and starting from scratch.
If this is an option.. most assuredly... do it that way.. the reason... you get to choose where the holes will fall on the back of the body, thus dictating where the neckplate will be positioned... If you allow the position of the holes to be determined by the existing holes in the neck.. you wil not know how the neck plate will be positioned until it's too late. It could wind up as crooked as the fairways at Deepdale in NY...

I do not drill the holes until assembly day.... It's then that I place the neckplate so that it's symmetrical with the body.. I mark the location of the holes then drill away.. I then place the neck in the neck pocket.. then take a drift with a pointed end.. and placing it in each hole and giving it a light tap, mark the heel of the neck where the pilot holes are drilled.

This way.. once it's all assembled.. voila' the neck plate is on, straight too...

MTPoteet

Tele-Holic
I used trim nails with the heads clipped off; wrapped tape around them so they were somewhat snug in the neck and wouldn't slip out; then pressed the neck into position, and drilled where the marks were using a drill press. Worked like a charm:

100_3653.jpg
This, only with @garymaddox's shorted, sharpened screws.
Other than precise measurements, this is the only way to go.

TN Tele

Tele-Meister
Platinum Supporter
Plug the holes in the neck. Drill them out a little larger than they are now, and plug them with maple dowels the same size as the bit you use. Sand 'em flat. IMO, this is the easiest and best solution to get everything fit right.
I also agree with tiskit86, plug the holes first.