How to Differentiate Between Tusq and Plastic?

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by Doghouse_Riley, Mar 14, 2019.

1. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

Remove it and see if it's hollow underneath. If it is, buy a new one. Keep the old one as a model if you plan on shaping the new one.

2. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

Most important to nut function is the setup, not the material.

For every 100 guitar owners that 'swap the nut for toanz' -- 98 of them screw it up. The nut is simple and people treat it as such until they get the sitar sound or they go out of tune playing simple cowboy chords.

What is the tech level of the owner or the luthier that installed the nut? Some players do a better job installing nuts than many local pros, but it's a small percentage.

Are the tuners 'upgraded'? That is often a symptom of tuning issues, caused by a poor nut swap setup, blamed now on the tuners "because the nut was already upgraded so it can't be that"... tuners upgraded, still a tuning problem -- aw just sell the guitar...

If you like the rest of the guitar then the nut should not frighten you away, even if it was screwed up. Ask for $10 off to cover a new nut if you need to.

3. Doghouse_Riley

Doghouse_Riley Tele-Afflicted

I don't believe that various accepted nut materials have a huge affect on tone. I like Tusq XL because it's got PTFE in it and I find that I at least perceive that it binds less than the plastic that they replaced. I've installed a few now, 2 teles, a strat and an LP and I have an idea of what to expect.

4. chemobrain

chemobrain Friend of Leo's

I have Graphtech saddle in a twenty year old MIM strat. The guitar has good sustain clear tone tunes easily and the strings never break at the saddle.
    %The reason that I mention it, is because I have heard and personally been told that the graph tech saddles are pooh.
    That is not my experience, yes, yes I know bone is the bestest for nuts just like tele traditional bridges those three bar contraptions are the only way, and true oil is the only way to finish the... neck and body of your sweet heart and Elvis is not dead, if fact when Salomon Rushde was on the run. he and the king shared a fleabag motel room for a year and a half in Bay Port Florida.
    http://www.graphtech.com/products/product-categories/nuts

5. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

graphtech make tusq

6. GFrank

GFrank Tele-Meister

I actually find Tusq to feel a little gummy when filing slots. Certainly compared to bone. I also find it to rob the guitar of a tiny bit of sustain. YMMV. Having said that, I do have a Tusq XL on my Gretsh with a Bigsby and it works very well.

7. rangercaster

rangercaster Poster Extraordinaire

It wouldn't be a make or break factor for me if it was a otherwise a nice guitar...

8. Doghouse_Riley

Doghouse_Riley Tele-Afflicted

Agreed. It's more about whether or not I want to swap it out if/when I buy it.

9. viking

viking Friend of Leo's

The best thing about Tusq is that it's the same always
    Bone can be really different, even across the same piece , if you are unlucky
    And , it's true, LesPaul guys obsess over the right kind of nylon..... ToneNylon? LOL...

Doghouse_Riley likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.