How to Deal With an Ebay Buyer Scam? (swapped pickups on return)

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Musekatcher, Aug 18, 2019.

1. netgear69

netgear69 Tele-Afflicted

No it is more about the shady people who buy not the people who sell, they take advantage of the system which leaves the seller open to scams buyers remorse etc

Bassman8 likes this.
  2. Buckocaster51

Buckocaster51 Super Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

Admin Post

Have those of you who have been chiming in with advice read this?

It seems to have been resolved.

BlueCajun and JayFreddy like this.
  3. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Tele-Afflicted

I appreciate all the responses, and hope its all useful to all of us. This isn't over completely, as its still listed as a "return". I haven't heard from Ebay on my request to deny the refund, or reporting the buyer. Even though the return was supposed to happen by the 26th and now expired after two weeks of no shipping or response, I suspect Ebay leaves this open longer. I'll give it some more days, and report it again. I'll also keep this thread going till its fully resolved for better or worse.

I have to say after 21 years and 600+ transactions, Ebay has been a great way to find the right stuff, and the numbers of times I've had issues, is tee tiny. What I've learned from this thread, is that rules are now in favor of a buyer, and that great care has to be exercised in dealing with it.

bloomz and JayFreddy like this.
  4. CFFF

CFFF Tele-Holic

I hope it really will end well for you @Musekatcher . The buyer can go to claim with paypal inside 6 months though.

In this case the OP is dealing with a idiot so he has some possibility to fight the situation and win. But there are many clever ones who know how to push the buttons and we can never win with those people. Ebay makes it too easy for them.

If you are honest or dishonest then ebay is good to buy from. But not to sell.

guitphil and Bassman8 like this.
  5. Musekatcher

That's what it sounds like. I really don't want to benefit the wrong kinds of folks. That's the way I am. I don't care about the final price. As a player and collector, I'm not interested in intersecting with dishonest people. I'll take less, to benefit the right folks, and refuse to sell to the wrong kind of folks normally. This thread was really useful in revealing the complications with Ebay, and forming my approach for future sales.

CFFF and JayFreddy like this.
  6. warrent

warrent Friend of Leo's

There's no cultural shift. One of my first jobs back in the seventies was working for Eatons a major department store. I used to send out letters to customers who had exceedingly high return rates and warning them they would no longer be able to use their store credit card if they didn't cut out returning so much stuff.

7. Musekatcher

Update: I was still waiting for a return, after sending the buyer a label. Return time expired, and after some weeks, Ebay closed the case. So, it appears this fella was either bluffing, or came to his senses, that he got a classic US guitar for 1/2 the street price. I'll feel better when 60 days have passed, but this case appears to be closed. Looks like I called it correctly this time.

I experienced two other scams during this same time, that I'll share. Fella buys a boutique pedal for $14. Its an auction, so good for him. He writes me, that he received an empty box, with a Post Office note that it was found this way. Skeptical, I take the photo to my post office, and they said it looks like an actual USPS note, and to file a claim. I file. I'm in communication with the buyer the whole time, and things a very cordial. A couple weeks later, the USPS closes the case, with no explanation. I contact the fella, and he claims he knows nothing about it. So, I find another USPS link for buyer claims and send it to him. More weeks pass, and now Ebay has closed this case. I send him a note to ask if he made a claim, or anything, but now no response. Looks like he was also bluffing with a fake photo...

And the other scam, was a buyer attempting a 2nd chance offer on Ebay. He offers me less than 1/3 the market price. I explain what I have in a vintage fiddle, as of 10 years ago. He writes back that I have to sell it to him. I write back, no, I had a reserve. So he then tells me he sets the price, buyers control "value", etc. I reply that no, sellers set values, because they already own it, and decide how much its worth to keep it. He continues to threaten Ebay intervention, which I reply affirmative, and would be glad to contact Ebay for him. He subsequently stops communication.

And I had another scam as well. I never had any scams of any kind till this year, although is been a good 5 years since I've sold anything. What is it with folks these days?

CFFF likes this.
  8. Daytona.57

Daytona.57 Tele-Meister

I stopped buying online, zbay, Reverb, etc, completely, and only procure locally, as there is an average of 4,000 musical instruments, for sale or trade daily.

I bought an amp that was shipped internationally, with the tubes rattling around in the bottom of the box. Retube was necessary on a 100W Fender amp, more than I paid for the amp, never again. No resolution was afforded.

I am still receiving PayPal phishing expedition hacking emails.

I only shop at brick and mortar stores, it's better for the economy and my peace of mind.

YMMV

JJOVa likes this.
  9. vortexx

vortexx TDPRI Member

A friend sold a watch on Ebay. The buyer claimed it was fake and started the return process. When my friend got the watch back, it was missing the jewels. PayPal refunded the money to the buyer and my friend had a not-fake watch with no jewels and a big negative PayPal balance.

10. trackerdan

trackerdan Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

I've had a couple bad Ebay experiences since 1999. There's always someone trying to figure out a way to screw someone. For an auction site that does almost nothing for the seller, they're doing pretty good.

11. CFFF

CFFF Tele-Holic

I think part of the problem with ebay is that the return and refund mechanism is automatic and mostly governed by bots. I have had no problems using other free online market places where no easy refund mechanism exits. Maybe I have been lucky.

12. bblooz

bblooz TDPRI Member

Sorry you are dealing with a scumbag on ebay. I used to do a lot more business on there, but have pretty much dropped off, due to BS like this (plus ebay fees and giving buyers six months to initiate returns!) My biggest horror story is making a Historic Les Paul Custom purchase, no guitar shipped after payment and the seller dropping off the map. After a couple weeks of dancing around with the seller, I contacted ebay and paypal. It took another couple weeks, but I finally got my money back. Now the only things I buy off ebay are parts or accessories.

13. Musekatcher

Ah, the lingering feedback. Not a scam, but another peril of selling on Ebay: I add a handling fee to my items to pay for my time packaging, assuming something sells really low, like a sax mouthpiece for $5. Which happened. In fact, the same buyer bought four mouthpieces for an average of around $8 each. He asks if I'll combine shipping, so I do - and I combine the handling as well. So he gets four mouthpieces for $32, plus shipping, plus $5 handling. $5. I just now got a negative from this guy for "horrendous hidden shipping fee". The S&H is stated in the auction? I dropped for him? And yet, he gives me a negative. over $5 on four vintage mouthpieces that he got at a super discount? And I'm selling these as a service to folks that would like to have them - I'd give them away, but there are no players in my area. No doubt, he's reselling them too. We have to think about this kind of twisted non-logic that is out there. If I had it over, I'd never sell anything to this kind of folk. I'm just trying to help the right folks out.

14. Shuster

Shuster Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

guitphil and bloomz like this.
  15. bloomz

bloomz Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

It's very easy to get buyer and seller's phone number - AFTER the purchase
    Explanation is here:
    https://mcollier.blogspot.com/2010/06/problem-on-ebay-get-sellers-phone-numbe.html

Halleleujiah (however you spell that)
    THAT's the way I try to live my live as well, makes for a much happier life!

Color me foolish then - I've bought (and sold) at least 25 guitars sight unseen, some over $2500, with never a problem. (Including "collector" guitars)

It's called being "customer centric" and a HUGE part of the reason Bezos makes $250,000,000 a day.

telemnemonics likes this.
  16. L.A. Mike

L.A. Mike Tele-Afflicted

Thanks for that link, I had no idea it was that easy.
    By the way, have you noticed that the title of this thread is false? It doesn't reflect what went on between the buyer and the OP. The OP was notified there was a problem with a pickup. He then jumped to a major conclusion (see thread title) and created this thread. I guess for support? He has posted a sort of history of contact (one sided) with the buyer. But, the thread title is click bait in my opinion.

17. guitphil

guitphil TDPRI Member

The posting of this thread is timely for me. I recently was scammed on a pedal that I sold on ebay. Mind you, I really wasn't out much $ other than shipping costs, personal time, and missed selling opportunities. However, the buyer was a dishonest douche nonetheless. I accepted his offer for less than my asking price and the terms were + shipping which was about $6 since he was just on the other side of the metroplex. A couple weeks after it's delivered I get the message from him that the stomp switch doesn't work, no output, etc. The pedal worked fine and was basically in new condition when it left here. It was well packed in original box and documentation. When I receive the pedal I plug it in and it works perfectly. So I make a video recording of me playing through it and send it to him explaining that I would be willing to refund the price of the pedal but think it's only fair I shouldn't have to cover the shipping costs since there's nothing wrong with the pedal. So, this is where he really screwed up. His reply is, "A saw A video with a pedal of the same make and model which is commonly available and affordable on the market. This does not prove that the one you sent me was the one you used in the video. It only proves that you have the same effect model and that it works for you. Had you sent me a functional pedal in the first place we would not be having this discussion.

Again I will say once more that the one you sent me did have a faulty bypass switch. It did not work correctly and the switch had a ground fault. There were no other additional effects in my circuit and I verified that I had a good dry amp signal and continuity in my cables. I have been using electric effects for over 30 years and I have years of experience and education in electronics so I know the difference between a good switch and a faulty one. Bad switches are easy to isolate and identify.

I paid you basically the same price for your used non-working pedal that I would have otherwise paid for a new one direct from China. The only reason I purchased yours is because I would not have to wait 5-7 weeks for one to ship from China. Unfortunately now I have not only lost the time I spent with the malfunctioning one you sent me but also am faced with the unfortunate delay of waiting at least 5-7 weeks. There is also a negative value here to me:
    1) My disappointment with a broken pedal and 2) The additional time it will take for me to purchase another pedal. Very disappointing.

If, as a seller, you are willing to step up and do the proper thing than I will accept nothing less than a full refund including the shipping cost from you but I do not accept a partial refund as you suggested. For my trouble it is the very least you can do."

A bold face liar. And now I'm pissed. So, at this point it's not worth it and I give him a full refund. I also re-post the pedal and sell it to a very satisfied buyer who posts positive feedback on the transaction. Then I immediately file a complaint with ebay to which they responded:

From ebay​

We're reviewing your report

Hi xxxx,

Thanks for letting us know about a buyer who may have been violating our policies. Here's a summary of your report.

Buyer: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Reason:Misused the program to claim an item was not as described

Comments:Even though the auction was a "no returns accepted" auction, I agreed to a return of the item on good faith that it was defective based on the buyers feedback rating and description of the problem. I received the item back and found it to be in perfect working condition and not defective whatsoever. I sent a message to the buyer stating so and also made a video available to the buyer of me testing the unit to demonstrate that it functions and operates as advertised. Based on the fact that the unit worked as advertised, I offered to refund the price of the item but didn't feel I should have to pay for the shipping costs as the unit was not defective. He eventually replied after sent him two messages and acknowledged viewing the video. He then insinuated that the demonstration video of the properly working item was a deception on my part and insisted that the unit was defective. Rather than argue the point I went ahead and refunded the total amount. The reason I'm filing this complaint is that for the cost of this sale and the level of effort taken by the buyer, I believe it's possible this isn't the first time he's done this. My mistake was leaving positive feedback for him prior to receiving feedback myself. I have since added him to my blocked buyer list. As of today he's the only one on that list. In all the years of doing business on ebay this is the only time I've had a problem with a buyer. Perhaps others have had the same thing happen to them by this buyer and if so, you can add me to the list of sellers that have been taken advantage of. What he did is wrong and done so at my expense. Sellers beware.

We'll review your report with any other information we have, including reports from other sellers. Your report is confidential and won't be shared with the buyer. However, keep in mind that we won't be able to tell you about any specific action we take.

============================================================

So, end of story. Well, not really. Two can play this game. This @sshole lives not far from me and I'm also pretty good on digging up dirt and even better at throwing it. Within a few minutes I pretty much know everything about the guy. His wife ends up getting an envelope with some nice women's panties and a note written in feminine handwriting, "your husband is a jerk!"

His employer also gets a call from a customer (details omitted).

Don't F_ck with me.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2019
    stinkey likes this.
  18. guitphil

guitphil TDPRI Member

Continued:

Just yesterday I had a guy contact me about a claimed defective piece of gear that I sold him over 2 months ago. I actually sent him a message after it was delivered following up on the shipment and checking to make sure everything was in order and that he was satisfied. No response and no feedback. Today, after 2 months he states that the record buttons don't work, yada yada yada. So, today I emptied out my paypal account and closed down my ebay account and will be doing the same on the paypal account once the transfer is complete.

19. bloomz

bloomz Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

Ouch, Man, resentment is the poison I take to injure someone else.

Life's too short amigo.....

Alamo likes this.
  20. tele_savales

tele_savales Tele-Meister

Both Paypal and Ebay can be way more helpful in situations like this if you call them. Be proactive and do it immediately. The guy sounds like a criminal.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.